cherry picking the words of the Buddha

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Cittasanto

cherry picking the words of the Buddha

Post by Cittasanto »

just stumbled accross this video

apart from the misinformation it does demonstrate the need to not ignore the wider context passages are in with its cherry picking of information & passages.
I found it quite humorous how he was mispronouncing things with an accent.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
tiltbillings

Re: cherry picking the words of the Buddha

Post by tiltbillings »

Ken Wheeler, self proclaimed monk, self pro-claimed buddhologist

his website:

http://www.kathodos.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It is stuff that can be, and should be, ignored.

And, yes, his pronunciation of Pali/Sanskrit is hilarious.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Nyana

Post by Nyana »

tiltbillings wrote:It is stuff that can be, and should be, ignored.
Indeed.
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

tiltbillings wrote:Ken Wheeler, self proclaimed monk, self pro-claimed buddhologist

his website:

http://www.kathodos.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It is stuff that can be, and should be, ignored.

And, yes, his pronunciation of Pali/Sanskrit is hilarious.
cool another one :woohoo:

wait! what? :jawdrop:
ok don't know if that joke worked in text form so...
yes the slight indianesk twang got me, i was actually quite supprised when i heard his actual accent.
my particular favourite was the comment block to the vid "I am right you can not disagree" throwing away evidence before it has been heard, or ignoring evidence which has been :rolleye:
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
manas

Post by manas »

Hi Cittasanto, everyone,

YouTube allows this function where you can make a reply to a specific video, where your reply can appear somewhere underneath (or in close proximity to) the original, so that people can easily access it. I say this
because this should be refuted, and there are quite a few knowledgeable folks here who could convincingly
refute it in a short video. Not to convince this misguided person, because I doubt that will happen; but
rather to prevent ordinary persons who have a genuine interest in the Dhamma, from getting seriously misled.
(I just noted that he has disabled any comments for his video... hmm.)

manas. :anjali:
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.