Is mahayana Buddism?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths. What can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
ground

Re: Is mahayana Buddism?

Postby ground » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:33 am

DarwidHalim

Postby DarwidHalim » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:57 am

Assuming Mahayana is not buddhism, how can it survive for so long and so wide?

Why in the history of buddhism in the past up to now, there are monks or scholars who are initially Theravada adopt Mahayana's view?

Although there are people who said Prajnaparamita Sutta is not possible to be stored in Naga's realm, they themselves contradict their own scripture that said Naga has protected Buddha during his meditation in Bodghaya.

The question is: If Naga can protect Buddha's body, why he cannot protect Buddha's teaching?

Up to now, I never see any scholars from any buddhist schools able to successfully challenge the content of Sunyata as explained in the Prajnaparamitta sutta.
I am not here nor there.
I am not right nor wrong.
I do not exist neither non-exist.
I am not I nor non-I.
I am not in samsara nor nirvana.
To All Buddhas, I bow down for the teaching of emptiness. Thank You!

Ron-The-Elder

Postby Ron-The-Elder » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:16 am

What Makes an Elder? :
A head of gray hairs doesn't mean one's an elder. Advanced in years, one's called an old fool.
But one in whom there is truth, restraint, rectitude, gentleness,self-control, he's called an elder, his impurities disgorged, enlightened.
-Dhammpada, 19, translated by Thanissaro Bhikkhu.

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:25 am

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:38 am

And for a chatty discussion of some of the issues, you can listen to a talk by Ven Huifeng
(who occasionally posts here as Paññāsikhara), hosted by Ven Sujato, here:
http://www.dhammanet.org/download.php?view.435

[It's always nice to hear Dharma delivered in New Zealand English, at least that's my opinion...]

:anjali:
Mike

reflection

Postby reflection » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:53 am

Opinions and views vary even within Therevada and even more so within Mahayana. Some 'Mahayana' schools may be closer to what the Buddha actually taught than certain 'Therevada' schools, and the other way around. So these labels are more artificial than anything else. It's not very useful to put entire groups of practitioners under one banner, in my opinion. What matters is that we look into our heart to find out what is the truth. It doesn't need a name and it doesn't belong to one particular school.

Dan74

Postby Dan74 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:02 am

_/|\_

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:04 am

Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:05 am

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.

Nyana

Postby Nyana » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:27 am

Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:49 am

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.

Dan74

Postby Dan74 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:50 am

_/|\_

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:20 am

Spiny Norman

Postby Spiny Norman » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:27 am

"My religion is very simple - my religion is ice-cream."
Dairy Lama

Nyana

Postby Nyana » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:39 am

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:46 am

Hi Geoff, Yes, Ven Huifeng is good value. I am only sorry that I only met him once (in Hong Kong) and didn't make enough effort to see him again. At that time he gave me a copy of Richard Gombrich's "What the Buddha Thought". He has an Engineering degree as well as his PhD in Buddhist studies...

Mike

Kim OHara

Postby Kim OHara » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:27 am

whynotme

Postby whynotme » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:18 pm

Last edited by whynotme on Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Please stop following me

whynotme

Postby whynotme » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:26 pm

Thank you all for the history, but I saw many problems with modern mahayana.

There are branches of mahayana like Shaolin temple, the monks train and teach other martial art with weapons. That is the art to harm and to kill. I saw many mahayanist monks use money against the patimokkha. And I heard there are branches in Japan or Tibet where monks can have sexual intercouse (which by patimokkha automatic lose their ordination).

Do you show respect to those monks? I see many problems if someone with good dhamma reputation paying them respects.

1/ The masses without dhamma knowledge will have faith in them then seek false teaching and advice from those monks, which will harm them in the future.
2/ Those monks have people respects will become arrogant, doing false actions and in turn will harm them back.

So because of metta or happiness for the masses, one should point out clearly what is right. Also in patimokkha The Buddha also taught how a layperson should react when there is seperation in the Sangha.

To me, the problems of mahayana are:

1/ Many of their suttas are claimed that were taught by the Buddha but werent' (by the historians and they content contradict to Nikayas). So the mahayana original teachers must all lying about it. It is one of 5 baisc actions leading to hell, so by lying, the original authors of mahayana show a very low level of enlightenment.

2/ The Buddha taught about carefully making decisions, even when putting faith on him. But the mahayanists are very naive. They easily have faith in anything without carefully learning and comparison. They ignore the historians, the evidences, and science. That is totally against the teaching of the Buddha and will bring back suffering.

3/ The mahayana always makes things mystery and complicated, they like the unseenable world which a normal person cannot verify. This no way the teaching of a good teacher let alone the best teacher of mankind.

That is my opinion about mahayana, what do you think about it?.
I know that even in therevada there are views similar to mahayana. Or untill we are stream enterer, each lay person can have his own view include wrong views no matter what our teachers, so don't take it seriously because I just want to make it more simple using just a word mahayana. It is normal and commonly to discuss with label if everyone is mature enough.

Regards
Please stop following me

Bhikkhu Pesala

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:56 pm

Sects, sects, sects — that's all you people ever think about!

, Theravāda — its all just

Just try to understand the Dhamma (i.e. the Four Noble Truths) and develop the path of insight.
• • • • (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)

Return to “Connections to Other Paths”