Olympics

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Enlightenment0106

Olympics

Post by Enlightenment0106 »

Well since its a casual sub forum . So what do you think of the Olympics so far? Personally I think that china or America will probably be taking most of the gold medals
Form is emptiness. Emptiness is form--- Heart sutra
dharmagoat

Re: Olympics

Post by dharmagoat »

New Zealand got bronze for the horsey thing. Wahoo!
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

The most poignant moment for me thus far has been the juxtaposition between Emily Seebohm's distress at coming 2nd in the Women's 100m Backstroke, and Bronte Barratt's elation at coming 3rd in the Women's 200m Freestyle.

Whilst one result was materially better than the other, the swimmer who achieved a lesser placing was elated, whilst the other, who felt she had a certain sense of entitlement to win, was mortified by coming 2nd. Not only did that attitude sour her own experience, but it also serves as an insult to the rest of the field who didn't win Gold or Silver, or to those who didn't even make it through to the final.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
plwk

Post by plwk »

Hope they won't raise the Israeli flag when the Iranians are on...like they did for the North Koreans... :tongue:
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

dharmagoat wrote:New Zealand got bronze for the horsey thing. Wahoo!
Go horseys... :woohoo:

:anjali:
Mike
Nyana

Post by Nyana »

Now, if humanity could be fed, clothed, and sheltered without destroying the planet, that would be worthy of celebration....
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Geoff,

True, but were we to limit opportunities for mudita to such things, we would only hurt ourselves.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Nyana

Post by Nyana »

retrofuturist wrote:True, but were we to limit opportunities for mudita to such things, we would only hurt ourselves.
Sure, I have no problem with celebrating athletics (or academics, arts, philanthropy, etc.).
Enlightenment0106

plwk wrote:Hope they won't raise the Israeli flag when the Iranians are on...like they did for the North Koreans... :tongue:

You know north Korea actually met south Korea in the ping-pong singles? And It was like the cold war :tongue:
Enlightenment0106

Ñāṇa wrote:Now, if humanity could be fed, clothed, and sheltered without destroying the planet, that would be worthy of celebration....
:offtopic: but I agree with you completely but there is a way: if you are in the Pure Land and you achieved nirvana
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

retrofuturist wrote: Whilst one result was materially better than the other, the swimmer who achieved a lesser placing was elated, whilst the other, who felt she had a certain sense of entitlement to win, was mortified by coming 2nd. Not only did that attitude sour her own experience, but it also serves as an insult to the rest of the field who didn't win Gold or Silver, or to those who didn't even make it through to the final.
Yes, it's interesting to see the reactions of the athletes after winning and "losing". I think it comes down to of course their attitude and also the expectations, some of which are unreasonable. Yesterday Michael Phelps won the silver and was visibly 'upset' with the silver. It is nice to see the elation in those that win the silver and bronze and are still as happy as can be. It is easy to have mudita for them. I know I would sure be happy with a bronze in anything, but that could also be because I don't expect to perform at that level. :tongue:

In one of the previous Olympic Games an American won the gold in a swimming event and was very upset. He was upset that he didn't break the world record while doing so. :shock: He later apologized on tv to the people who were disappointed at his reaction.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Retro & David

I was wondering if you knew that reputable psychological studies have been done on the phenomenon of more positive emotions being felt and expressed by bronze winners than silver winners. The best-known is Medvec et al from Cornell University. It is quoted in Richard Layard's little book "Happiness: Lessons from a new science", and is used to demonstrate the huge role that expectations and social comparisons have in the construction of our happiness. The silvers are upset that they didn't win gold, whereas the bronzes are often delighted to be on the podium at all. As Layard points out, the same issues bedevil our struggles with status and income and possessions in everyday life.