I not understand

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Caraka

I not understand

Post by Caraka »

""[1] The ocean has a gradual shelf, a gradual slope, a gradual inclination, with a sudden drop-off only after a long stretch. The fact that the ocean has a gradual shelf, a gradual slope, a gradual inclination, with a sharp drop-off not just after a stretch:[1] This is the first amazing and astounding fact about the ocean that, as they see it again and again, has the Asuras greatly pleased with the ocean."

I can't see the picture. What is a gradual shelf, a gradual slope, a gradual inclination, and I have never seen the ocean do a sharp drop-off?

When I see the ocean it is just water, like water in a jar. E.g. there is no sudden drop-off.
Masauwu

Re: I not understand

Post by Masauwu »

Hi Caraka,

Maybe this will help.
Caraka

Post by Caraka »

Thank you. You helped me. :thanks:

Now I only have to figure out the drop-off ..
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Caraka wrote:""[1] The ocean has a gradual shelf, a gradual slope, a gradual inclination, with a sudden drop-off only after a long stretch. The fact that the ocean has a gradual shelf, a gradual slope, a gradual inclination, with a sharp drop-off not just after a stretch:[1] This is the first amazing and astounding fact about the ocean that, as they see it again and again, has the Asuras greatly pleased with the ocean."

I can't see the picture. What is a gradual shelf, a gradual slope, a gradual inclination, and I have never seen the ocean do a sharp drop-off?

When I see the ocean it is just water, like water in a jar. E.g. there is no sudden drop-off.
Oral literature uses repetition of words with the same meaning to emphasize a point not that they each specifically point to similar but separate things, the suttas use three usually, although the Abhidhamma uses seven.
so when the text you quote says "a gradual shelf, a gradual slope, a gradual inclination," this is referring to the continental shelf in the above linked image, with the sudden drop off being the continental slope in the picture, not that the slope in both are the same thing.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Caraka,

It is referring to the ground below the ocean, and the subsequent depth of the ocean as bounded by sky and ocean-floor.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Caraka

Post by Caraka »

I see the picture. Thank you. :namaste: