BEAUTIFUL ASALHA PUJA DAY...Today !

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, bhikkhus, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice, devotion etc.
yawares

BEAUTIFUL ASALHA PUJA DAY...Today !

Post by yawares »

Dear Members, Happy Asalha Puja Day to ALL MEMBERS !!!

Today is Asalha Puja Day :anjali: , at 5AM I saw the most magical full moon shining so brightly while I was walking meditation with Tep on the street in front of our house...I felt so peaceful and happy with :heart: Buddhas in my heart. :heart:

:candle: ASALHA PUJA DAY :candle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtB_TuD_520" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Asalaha Puja, also referred to as "Dhamma Day", falls in the eighth month of the lunar calendar.

The Buddha attained enlightenment at Bodhgaya India on the full moon of Visakha, which is the sixth lunar month. Two months later, on the full moon of Asalha, he delivered the first discourse to the five ascetics of his former association; Kondanna, Vappa, Bhaddiya, Mahanama, and Assaji, who later became his first disciples, at the Deer Park near Benares (Varanasi). This epoch making incident marks the establishment of the Buddhist religion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVGt1vw5 ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yllxkK6B ... egcF0cIPLA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

At the end of the sermon, Kondanna attained awakening and asked for ordination, thus becoming the first Buddhist monk in history. The Order of the Sangha (community of Buddhist monks) was initiated and the Triple Gem; The Buddha, Dhamma and Sangha was complete.

Lord Buddha's First Sermon is The Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta ~ “The Discourse on Turning the Wheel of Truth” The main theme of this first discourse is The Four Noble Truths, namely Suffering, the Cause of Suffering, the End of Suffering, and The Way to the End of Suffering. The Way to the End of Suffering is expanded in The Noble Eightfold Path (The Middle Way) which is: Right View, Right resolve, Right Speech, Right Action, Right Livelihood, Right Effort, Right Mindfulness, and Right Concentration. These Four Noble Truths and the way to liberation found in the Noble Eightfold Path are the essence of Lord Buddha's teaching which makes the Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta considered to be "Buddhism in a nutshell".

:heart: Love Buddha's dhamma,
yawares/sirikanya :heart:
Last edited by yawares on Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gavesako

Re: BEAUTIFUL ASALHA PUJA DAY...Today !

Post by gavesako »

Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta
— Setting in Motion of the Wheel of Dhamma —

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtB_TuD_520" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.buddha-vacana.org/sutta/samy ... 6-011.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:buddha1:
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

Access to Insight - Theravada texts
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
Dhammatalks.org - Sutta translations
gavesako

Post by gavesako »

Buddha teaching the five ascetics (pancavaggiya)
Attachments
Buddha-five-ascetics-Asalha.jpg
Buddha-five-ascetics-Asalha.jpg (79.64 KiB) Viewed 3441 times
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

Access to Insight - Theravada texts
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
Dhammatalks.org - Sutta translations
yawares

Post by yawares »

Dear Bhikkhu Gavesako,

Love the youtube/Sutta/picture...very beautiful chanting :heart:

Happy Asalha Puja Day to you :candle:
yom yawares :anjali:
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Great photos, videos; thanks.

It was a nice Asalha Puja day here in Vegas, the weather cooled "down" to the low 90s (instead of the usual 105 F) and spent some time outside sitting in our outdoor shrine area.
plwk

Post by plwk »

It's a national holiday in Thailand right?
yawares

Post by yawares »

David N. Snyder wrote:Great photos, videos; thanks.

It was a nice Asalha Puja day here in Vegas, the weather cooled "down" to the low 90s (instead of the usual 105 F) and spent some time outside sitting in our outdoor shrine area.

Dear David,
Are you going to any temple? You have shrine there too? Is shrine the same as pagoda?

In Thailand we call pagoda 'jediya'. :candle:
yawares My daughter loves to live in 'viva Las Vegas' much more than College Station,TX(boring student town)!!
yawares

Post by yawares »

plwk wrote:It's a national holiday in Thailand right?
Dear Plwk,

Yes, all important :candle: Buddha's days :candle: are national holidays.
yawares
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

yawares wrote: Dear David,
Are you going to any temple? You have shrine there too? Is shrine the same as pagoda?
Hi yawares,

No didn't make it to any temple, but had time to practice at my outdoor shrine, see:
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=12042" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
yawares

Post by yawares »

David N. Snyder wrote:
yawares wrote: Dear David,
Hi yawares,

No didn't make it to any temple, but had time to practice at my outdoor shrine, see:
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=12042" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dear David,

Wow..very beautiful!...in your backyard? AND I have a Buddha statue 14" that look just like yours...same kind of robe/position/sit in the lotus flower..except mine has a small lotus candle holder in Buddha's hands...my daughter bought for me...love love it!

Thanks/I'll download your picture into my file..love it alot! :heart:
yawares :anjali:
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Hi yawares,

Thanks. :thanks:

It is in the side yard, to the north of the house. It faces east and the Buddha also faces east, just like the real MBT in Bodh Gaya.
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

It was a good day here, managed to get about an hours meditation at work (for once)
only need to remember to bring my cushion in more often :-)

I also listened and chanted along with the dhammacakkappavattana sutta - the setting the wheel of dhamma in motion discourse this morning and am going to do the same tonight before bed after a midnight sit :-D
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
yawares

Post by yawares »

Cittasanto wrote:It was a good day here, managed to get about an hours meditation at work (for once)
only need to remember to bring my cushion in more often :-)

I also listened and chanted along with the dhammacakkappavattana sutta - the setting the wheel of dhamma in motion discourse this morning and am going to do the same tonight before bed after a midnight sit :-D

Dear Cittasanto,

Sadhu Sadhu Sadhu :anjali: ...for your meditation/chanting.
I chant in my mind while walking meditation 1 hour early morning/night...Luangta Bua said that we all should chant 'Buddho'
whenever we have the chance....so I always BUDDHO when I drive/take care of my garden/cook etc.

I wish you 'good nimitta', :candle:
yawares
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

I'm celebrating Asalha Puja Day at a temple on Sunday... if I get a chance, I'll share some pictures here.

:buddha2:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
yawares

Post by yawares »

[quote="retrofuturist"]Greetings,

I'm celebrating Asalha Puja Day at a temple on Sunday... if I get a chance, I'll share some pictures here.
[/color]
Dear "retrofuturist",

Oh...please have a great Sunday chanting/vientien(hold candle+flowers and walk around the vihara 3 times) :candle:

Look forward to see your pictures :thanks:
yawares