Physical Size of Samyutta Nikaya

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Majjhima Patipada

Physical Size of Samyutta Nikaya

Post by Majjhima Patipada »

I'm about to invest in a printed copy of the Samyutta Nikaya, Bhikkhu Bodhi's translation, as it is one Nikaya for which I can't seem to locate all suttas online. The length on Amazon is listed at 2080 pages. How much does this amount to in thickness? Either inches or centimeters will suffice.

Thanks.
daverupa

Re: Physical Size of Samyutta Nikaya

Post by daverupa »

There are two ways to get it, in one volume or two. I have the one-volume version, and it's about 3 in./8 cm. thick (I'm working from memory). The binding is decent, but with moderate use the glue can fail in places along the spine and compromise the integrity of the thing, so two volumes may be better although I can't recall where the volume split occurs in terms of content.

• "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
Majjhima Patipada

Thank you. The choice of one-volume vs. two-volumes was exactly why I asked after reading some reviews about the binding. Thanks again.
BKh

Post by BKh »

Recently they seem to have changed the binding on the Middle Length and Connected Discourses. Previously they were the "perfect" binding which was far from perfect. Now they seem to use a new method that combines signatures (sections of pages folded together) and glue. It should be much more durrable than the previous bindings. They have also switched the paper to a slightly thicker stock.

(If you were getting the edition co-published by PTS, I think they are still the old binding.)

The copy of the SN I have is the single volume perfect binding with the thin paper. It is 2.75 inches. I don't think the thicker stock would put it over three inches if that.

Personally I much prefer the single volume as I'm not constantly having to figure out which book to look in. If you wanted the two volume set I think you would have to buy it used. And although each book would be smaller, it would be the "perfect" binding still prone to cracking. (Sorry for the scare quotes, but since it is in every way not a perfect binding, I can't help myself)

The new AN will be coming out as a single volume, btw. It will probably be about the same size as the SN.
| One sutta per day to your inbox | ReadingFaithfully.org Support for reading the Suttas | Citation lookup helper | Instant sutta name lookup | Instant PED lookup | Instant DPPN lookup |
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Yes, it's pretty big isn't it. By all account the Anguttara Nikaya will be even larger.

As an aside, I put all the Theravada Dhamma books I've read into a box yesterday and move it from one room to another.

Now I have a sore back!

:lol:

Putting heavy, dense books into the biggest box I could find probably wasn't the smartest move.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
bodom

Post by bodom »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,

Yes, it's pretty big isn't it. By all account the Anguttara Nikaya will be even larger.
Hey Retro

I initially thought the same but after checking Wisdom Pubs website it says Bodhi's new Anguttara translation is 1936 pages compared to his Samyutta translation which in the single volume is 2080 pages.

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Bodom,

Interesting!

Well, I suppose that's a good thing as far as my back in concerned.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
danieLion

Post by danieLion »

Get a workout while you read. At least half of my upper body strength exercise comes from manipulating this book! :tongue:
Majjhima Patipada

Thanks everyone.

:namaste: