web of views

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
befriend

web of views

Post by befriend »

what does one do when they get a wrong view. say someone denies karma. and they know its a wrong view but just cant seem to accept karma. when the thought "i cant beleive karma" comes up into there minds should they just not cling to that thought and let it pass. or should they try to figure it out and develop right view through study.
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Re: web of views

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

They could try sticking their hand in a fire and see if it hurts.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
befriend

Post by befriend »

hahah so your saying just by having the wrong view one would be in enough pain to simply let go of it, or am i reading that wrongly? thank you
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Careful, systematic study may help to resolve doubts about the path, but thinking and reading too much without enough practice just gets you deeper into confusion. We cannot possibly gain direct knowledge about kamma and rebirth by thinking. Put to one side what you cannot know, and pay attention to what is knowable. Doubt is a mental hindrance that prevents the development of concentration and insight.

The Armies of Māra: Doubt
Immaturity of insight prevents a yogi from reaching a firm and convinced position. Instead, his or her mind is condemned to run about among various options. Remembering all the meditative techniques he or she has heard of, a yogi might try a bit from here and a bit from there. This person falls into a great pot of chop suey, perhaps to drown. Vicikicchā can be a terrible obstacle in practice. The proximate cause of doubting conjecture is lack of proper attention, an improper adjustment of the mind in its search for truth. Proper attention, then, is the most direct cure for doubt. If you look correctly and in the right place, you will see what you are looking for: the true nature of things. Having seen this for yourself, you will have no more doubt about it.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Ben

Post by Ben »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:Careful, systematic study may help to resolve doubts about the path, but thinking and reading too much without enough practice just gets you deeper into confusion. We cannot possibly gain direct knowledge about kamma and rebirth by thinking. Put to one side what you cannot know, and pay attention to what is knowable. Doubt is a mental hindrance that prevents the development of concentration and insight.

The Armies of Māra: Doubt
Immaturity of insight prevents a yogi from reaching a firm and convinced position. Instead, his or her mind is condemned to run about among various options. Remembering all the meditative techniques he or she has heard of, a yogi might try a bit from here and a bit from there. This person falls into a great pot of chop suey, perhaps to drown. Vicikicchā can be a terrible obstacle in practice. The proximate cause of doubting conjecture is lack of proper attention, an improper adjustment of the mind in its search for truth. Proper attention, then, is the most direct cure for doubt. If you look correctly and in the right place, you will see what you are looking for: the true nature of things. Having seen this for yourself, you will have no more doubt about it.
Sadhu! Sadhu! Sadhu!
:anjali:
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
befriend

Post by befriend »

thank you very much for that teaching.
apacayana,
befriend
befriend

Post by befriend »

to cure wrong view could one see its baselessness by watching it arise and pass in the mind, seeing it is only impermanent it has no solidity?
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

The three unwholesome mental kammas — covetousness, ill-will, and wrong-view — arise in the mind. If we apply mindfulness to them, then we can stop them from multiplying and becoming stronger. For example:
  1. If the thought arises, "I want to possess that person's property or wife/husband/partner" is the unwholesome kamma of covetousness (abhijjhā).
  2. “I want to kill that person,” or “I wish that person would just go away,” or “I am glad that person is dead or has gone away,” are the unwholesome thoughts of ill-will
  3. “I don't believe there is any existence after death,” or “I don't think anyone could possibly know the destiny of beings in the next existence,” or “I don't think there is any harm in entertaining lustful or angry thoughts,” or “I think it is OK to steal from the wealthy,” etc., are the unwholesome kammas of wrong-view.
Right-mindfulness is able to see the arising and passing away of such thoughts, and right-view discerns that they are unskilful. Right effort is the effort to remove unwholesome states, and to prevent their arising again in the future. Right thought abandons unskilful thoughts through renunciation of pleasure (nekkhamma sankappa), thoughts of loving-kindness (abyāpāda sankappa), and thoughts of compassion (avihimsa sankappa).
Alex123

Post by Alex123 »

Bhante,
Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:[*]“I don't believe there is any existence after death,” or “I don't think anyone could possibly know the destiny of beings in the next existence,” ... are the unwholesome kammas of wrong-view.
What if person has good reasons to have difficulty in accepting rebirth, just like one has great difficulty to believe in flat earth?

With best wishes,

Alex
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Being uneducated about the Buddha's teaching, inexperienced in practice, and deluded are not good reasons to disbelieve in rebirth.

To learn the Dhamma thoroughly, and to gain mundane right view, let alone supramundane right view, is difficult — that is a given. If the Dhamma was easy to understand, the Buddha would not have been disinclined to teach it.

The rest has already been discussed at length in the Great Rebirth Thread, and doesn't need to be repeated here.
befriend

Post by befriend »

after you have right mindfulness does right view happen automatically like the mind judges by itself? will the mind naturally know right from wrong, or must it be learned.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Off-topic posts have been removed. Please stay on topic.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
drifting cloud

Post by drifting cloud »

befriend wrote:after you have right mindfulness does right view happen automatically like the mind judges by itself? will the mind naturally know right from wrong, or must it be learned.
Speaking for myself, I have noticed that the more mindful I become, the more aware I am of getting caught up in unhelpful thoughts, and the easier it is for me to let go of those thoughts, to stop identifying with them. At the same time, being more mindful means I am more away of conceptual biases in the form of unexamined assumptions and emotional attachments, so my thinking process itself tends to be both more logical and more 'free'. When I am mindful I tend not to try to justify or rationalize actions that I know are 'wrong', and have less hesitation and anxiety about actions that I know are 'right'. In that sense it makes discrimination between right and wrong much easier.
befriend

Post by befriend »

what if the person still believes that its impossible to see where beings fare as they do after death. they have labeled it as being unskillful but they still believe it, because sometimes we cant choose what we believe.
befriend

Post by befriend »

how does one prevent the arising of a wrong view through right effort? views can be be knotted and sticky.