OSHO

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

OSHO

Postby rucontent » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:42 am

I have been listening and reading alot of OSHO's stuff. And I am just curious what people think about his style of teaching. It almost seems like he doesn't claim to be buddhist...but certainly his teachings/lectures touch very much so on meditation and the benefits of it. Anyone have any opinion or good links to share as a resource for him?

thanks
rucontent

Re: OSHO

Postby daverupa » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:48 am

In a word, rambling. I never got the sense I was getting instruction, but instead was getting told a story.
    "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.
- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
daverupa

Postby SamKR » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:41 am

It is said that Osho's teachings are mostly based on the Buddha, Krishna and many other saints. I have read his books, and they are entertaining, but I could never understand how his teachings are in any way compatible to that of the Buddha.

I never liked his teachings especially his neglect of Sila, and his emphasis that mind will be prepared for renunciation and enlightenment only after we have enough of sensual pleasures and experiences.
Last edited by SamKR on Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
SamKR

Postby Modus.Ponens » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:38 am

Maybe this video will enlighten you about what Osho is about:

And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"
Modus.Ponens

Postby jweyek » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:54 am

The fact that he owned dozens of Rolls-Royces kind of turned me against him. The aggressive and belligerent attitude of one of his chief lieutenants, Sheila, turned me off as well. He was quite controversial back in the eighties. I guess I sided with the people who gave him a thumbs down as a legitimate guru.

I guess I jumped to a conclusion and wrote him off as a fraud, a somewhat or highly delusional person trying to sell himself as enlightened. Maybe I jumped to the wrong conclusion. It's all the same to me. Take him or leave him. You'll be alright.
jweyek

Postby plwk » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:55 am

Or maybe MP, some need to be reminded about Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh Image
Bhikkhus, if you develop and make much this one thing,
it invariably leads to weariness, cessation, appeasement, realization and extinction.
What is it? It is recollecting the Enlightened One.
If this single thing is recollected and made much,
it invariably leads to weariness, cessation, appeasement, realization and extinction.

Anguttara-Nikaya: Ekanipata: Ekadhammapali: Pañhamavagga
VSM VMM WBB TBHT WTBT My Page
plwk

Postby Modus.Ponens » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:14 am

:mrgreen:

Always lovely to hear about crimes of food contamination.
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"
Modus.Ponens

Postby poto » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:19 am

Osho and his teachings have been brought up a number of times over the years. Some seem to think his philosophy is harmful or potentially harmful while others find him helpful.

If it helps you on your spiritual path and helps you be a better person, then I can't really find fault in it. However, I do think it wise to not confuse the kind of new-age spirituality that Osho promotes for authentic Buddhist teachings.

Personally, I think one would benefit a lot more by just following the Buddhist teachings and not muddying the waters with any new-age guru stuff. That's just my 2 cents.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C. S. Lewis
poto

Postby Kim OHara » Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:06 am

plwk wrote:Or maybe MP, some need to be reminded about Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh

"Told", in my case, not "reminded". I knew about Rajneesh and the Rolls-Royces but didn't know that Osho was the same :alien: person.

:namaste:
Kim
Kim OHara

Postby rucontent » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:14 pm

I did not know all this info. ALthough i did the wiki pedia search and did not know he was at the center of so much controversy. All this stuff, not withstanding, many of his lectures have very wonderful things to offer. Such a great mind . Too bad his legacy is marred with all this other stuff. I really like his delivery.
rucontent

Postby Ben » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:24 pm

I was actually in India when he died. Interestingly, the Indians in and around Poona thought of him as a shallow fraud and held him beneath contempt.
I read a couple of books attributed to Rajneesh in the days before I discovered the Dhamma and after I began practicing my interest in Rajneesh vanished.
kind regards,

Ben
Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.

Taṃ nadīhi vijānātha:
sobbhesu padaresu ca,
saṇantā yanti kusobbhā,
tuṇhīyanti mahodadhī.

Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Return to Lounge