Theravada meditation traditions

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Tom

Theravada meditation traditions

Post by Tom »

Out of the countries that practice theravada (sri lanka, burma, thailand, etc.), which focuses most on meditation? And in which country can the most skilled meditators be found?
twelph

Re: Theravada meditation traditions

Post by twelph »

ccharles wrote:Out of the countries that practice theravada (sri lanka, burma, thailand, etc.), which focuses most on meditation? And in which country can the most skilled meditators be found?
How is this related to your practice, are you looking for a place to travel? A teacher to read up on?
Tom

Post by Tom »

I'm considering traveling, but I would also appreciate information on relevant teachers.
twelph

Post by twelph »

All three countries have excellent teachers, I believe that if a teacher comes off as sincere to you, then their location should have no bearing. For an excellent overview of this forum's favorIte teachers, this thread is most useful: http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=9135" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

You can find good teachers in all three countries however Burma emphasises meditation more than the other two, in Thailand the emphasis tends to be on monastic life, and in Sri Lanka the emphasis tends to be on on study.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
twelph

Post by twelph »

Goofaholix wrote:You can find good teachers in all three countries however Burma emphasises meditation more than the other two, in Thailand the emphasis tends to be on monastic life, and in Sri Lanka the emphasis tends to be on on study.
Sri Lanka/study = understanding the teachings of the Buddha
Thailand/monastic Life = renunciation
Burma/meditation = incorporating the teachings

They all seem equally important.

If I were to become slightly abstract, I could even relate them to the Triple Gem.

(Buddha) Sri Lanka/study = understanding the teachings of the Buddha
(Sangha) Thailand/monastic Life = renunciation
(Dhamma) Burma/meditation = incorporating the teachings

This is fun :)
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

twelph wrote:This is fun :)
Trouble is what do you do with Laos and Cambodia?
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
twelph

Post by twelph »

Goofaholix wrote:
twelph wrote:This is fun :)
Trouble is what do you do with Laos and Cambodia?
The trouble is, what would YOU do with Laos and Cambodia? Give me a broad categorization of their teachings, and I will do my best to fit them into some sort of generalization of my own :P