About unrooting evil

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Caraka

About unrooting evil

Post by Caraka »

Greetings,

It is not my wish to frighten anyone or misbehave. So if I with this post breaks any conduct of this forums culture or feelings, please forgive me upfront, as I have only known this Sangha for a week, but in this I must ask my current Sangha, which is this forum, about unrooting evil.

Buddhism is everywhere in the modern world nowadays cause it is given conditions to fruit, and it pleases me when my mind dwells in such a moment. The only question that hinders me to dwells deeper into these arising conditions is about all this talking - to leave non-buddhists, friends, children, family, to leave all this Dhukka and leave all this 'massive' ignorance out there - to aspire with a goal about maybe reach Nibbana in this life. And many leave, alone or into groups of Sangha. For life or for periods.

How can they understand, how can anyone understand Dhukka of this modern world when they walk away from it? And about none are actual experience, or goes in the midst of Dhukka to understand, learn and knowing.

Is this not hiding in old books in fear of facing evil?

:namaste:
Cittasanto

Re: About unrooting evil

Post by Cittasanto »

Caraka wrote:Greetings,

It is not my wish to frighten anyone or misbehave. So if I with this post breaks any conduct of this forums culture or feelings, please forgive me upfront, as I have only known this Sangha for a week, but in this I must ask my current Sangha, which is this forum, about unrooting evil.

Buddhism is everywhere in the modern world nowadays cause it is given conditions to fruit, and it pleases me when my mind dwells in such a moment. The only question that hinders me to dwells deeper into these arising conditions is about all this talking - to leave non-buddhists, friends, children, family, to leave all this Dhukka and leave all this 'massive' ignorance out there - to aspire with a goal about maybe reach Nibbana in this life. And many leave, alone or into groups of Sangha. For life or for periods.

How can they understand, how can anyone understand Dhukka of this modern world when they walk away from it? And about none are actual experience, or goes in the midst of Dhukka to understand, learn and knowing.

Is this not hiding in old books in fear of facing evil?

I am not 100% sure what you are trying to ask or say here sorry.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Caraka

Post by Caraka »

I tried to delete the post, cause I see it may be unclear. I did not succeed.

Point is Dhukka. As far as I can tell it is the first thing you should understand. But, if you put your fingers in your ear, you can't hear, or if you hold your hands in front of your eyes you do not see. So how can you then understand? Turning back to to worlds Dhukka and just walk away? It seems a bit like not wanting to see...

Therefore it does not make me any sense, leaving..
..all this talking - to leave non-buddhists, friends, children, family, to leave all this Dhukka and leave all this 'massive' ignorance out there - to aspire with a goal about maybe reach Nibbana in this life. And many leave, alone or into groups of Sangha. For life or for periods.
Understanding Dhukka, within others and one self, are maybe not so important?
santa100

Post by santa100 »

At the same time, immersing oneself amid all defilements of the world makes it a lot more difficult to understand dhukka. Just like the eye ball cannot see itself, one needs to at least maintains a clean distant from sensual pleasures in order to see their danger and seek complete liberation from them. Cultivation is not covering one's ears, eyes, nose from the world. It's about engaging the world within the framework of moral virtues, concentration, and wisdom..
waimengwan

Post by waimengwan »

I have an easy example, for me it is easy.

In this age where we have options I find it hard to choose a meal because there is so much to choose from.

Look at information there is so much of it on the internet, read what listen to who? It is an age where there is much to dwell on and having so many gadgets does not help.

I agree with santa100 point.

Also

if you sit too long u have stand, if you stand too long you have to sit. Suffering is everywhere and within us.
Caraka

Post by Caraka »

When I talk about unrooting evil, I talk about removal of e.g. ignorance, as it obstruct oneself to see.

I do not ask anyone go fetch e.g. Aids to understand the Dhukka arising from Aids, but when was the last time you talked to an Aids patient, kissed h/she? Talked to a murder, lived with greed, with whores?

My questions still stand unanswered.
Last edited by Caraka on Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Caraka

Post by Caraka »

Dhukka is not ego, ego does not think, ego just eats what you feed.
Last edited by Caraka on Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nameless

Post by nameless »

You seem to think that to "leave, alone or into groups of Sangha. For life or for periods. " is to walk away from Dukkha. Why do you assume that there is no Dukkha in the Sangha? There is still desire, still anger, still ignorance. Still Dukkha. If only it were so simple to leave Dukkha behind.
Caraka

Post by Caraka »

I do not imply this, nor do I claim it is wrongness to seek any refuge in Sangha. I do however question what you can understand of Dhukka looking only upon yourself in a mirror, never seen a birth, never seen death, never lost your dear ones, sickness, hell, .. Dhukka.

How can oneself know colors if oneself only have experienced black and white?

Years ago I was forced to worked in a nursinghome, taking care of idiots. One of them loved to put his hand in the mouth - all the time, it was spit and drooling like a small river everywhere around him. And he had a big love for people. He loved to hug and seek comfort in contact, maybe cause of all the rejections, which he did not understood was a result of his spit and drooling. He really had an huge cravings for human contact. For me it was an experience in my own aversion and fear to face it. It really does not taste well to unwilling get a lot of others spit into your mouth.
Last edited by Caraka on Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DarwidHalim

Post by DarwidHalim »

It really depends on the technique you want to use.

Some techniques require you to get out from the society, train first, and at the end go back to society to face the real issue.

Some techniques require you to be always at the society and from that you train your wisdom.

At the end, you must come back and face the real one, such as social issue for your real test.
I am not here nor there.
I am not right nor wrong.
I do not exist neither non-exist.
I am not I nor non-I.
I am not in samsara nor nirvana.
To All Buddhas, I bow down for the teaching of emptiness. Thank You!
Caraka

Post by Caraka »

Thank you. I would very much like to read or hear more about thees techniques, please share.
Caraka

Post by Caraka »

To understand Dhukka I do not say 'I, you or they need experience Dhukka', but 'need to see and understand what is Dhukka'.

So simple, yet so hard. :jumping:
Caraka

Post by Caraka »

What follow is more or less a street slang translation.

Monks, there are three kinds of Shitstuff (in the most general sense). What three? Shitstuff caused by shit-this-hurts, which is bodily but not limited to pain (in the most general sense). Shitstuff caused by where-does-all-this-shit-come-from, includes but not limited to the time between the shit-this-hurts and shit-happens (in the most general sense).
Shitstuff due to shit-happens, includes but not limited to the cause of shit-this-hurts, and shit that follows fading of pleasant sensations* (in the most general sense).

It is for the full comprehension, clear understanding, ending and abandonment of these three forms of Shitstuff the Noble Eightfold Path exist.

----
Notes

The ((in the most general sense)) is there due to the fact I have no idea about what I (in the most general sense) know what I talk about (in the most general sense).
*) Like a love sensation can cause making love, which again can cause regret.
----

:candle:

With a wish for all to reach a shitless life