Buddhist cults?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Dan74

Re: Buddhist cults?

Post by Dan74 »

Cults and cult gurus are not completely bad and if you've learned some good things from this teacher, you can feel gratitude and continue using these teachings. Prime example is Osho who "borrowed" many great teachings. But their prime motive is power, so even the great teachings are often tainted. Best to leave and join perhaps a less charismatic but more sincere and upright teacher.
_/|\_
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

tiltbillings wrote:Cut from the same cloth:

I thought it was "Benny Hill" when I first looked. :jumping:
Buddha save me from new-agers!
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

curious_buddhist wrote:The charge was 495 pounds per week, which equated to about $1000. I've been told this is for about 4 hours of teaching a day. The 495 pounds does not include accommodation.
For a UK retreat I'd expect to pay around £250 a week, including accomodation and food. So this kind of charge sounds like a complete rip-off to me.
Buddha save me from new-agers!
reflection

Post by reflection »

Being told to distance yourself from friends, relying more on a teacher than yourself and pay big amounts of money is in my eyes classical cultish behavior. Judging on your words, I wouldn't want to be involved with that organisation. But it doesn't matter if it's 'officially' a cult or not, if you don't feel happy with it, that should say enough already.

Now about your partner, perhaps some words by the Buddha himself can help shed some light. I don't know how I could help otherwise.
"So, as I said, Kalamas: 'Don't go by reports, by legends, by traditions, by scripture, by logical conjecture, by inference, by analogies, by agreement through pondering views, by probability,or by the thought, "This contemplative is our teacher." When you know for yourselves that, "These qualities are unskillful; these qualities are blameworthy; these qualities are criticized by the wise; these qualities, when adopted & carried out, lead to harm & to suffering" — then you should abandon them.' Thus was it said. And in reference to this was it said.

"Now, Kalamas, don't go by reports, by legends, by traditions, by scripture, by logical conjecture, by inference, by analogies, by agreement through pondering views, by probability, or by the thought, 'This contemplative is our teacher.' When you know for yourselves that, 'These qualities are skillful; these qualities are blameless; these qualities are praised by the wise; these qualities, when adopted & carried out, lead to welfare & to happiness' — then you should enter & remain in them.
"It's not easy to teach the Dhamma to others, Ananda. The Dhamma should be taught to others only when five qualities are established within the person teaching. Which five?

"[1] The Dhamma should be taught with the thought, 'I will speak step-by-step.'

"[2] The Dhamma should be taught with the thought, 'I will speak explaining the sequence [of cause & effect].'

"[3] The Dhamma should be taught with the thought, 'I will speak out of compassion.'

"[4] The Dhamma should be taught with the thought, 'I will speak not for the purpose of material reward.'

"[5] The Dhamma should be taught with the thought, 'I will speak without disparaging myself or others.'

With metta,
Reflection
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

:goodpost:
Gibraltariana

Post by Gibraltariana »

This is so sad! I hope you are able to reach your partner and get them out of a situation that seems unhealthy. The rates for that retreat seem totally out of line.
Ytrog

Post by Ytrog »

The rates are the least of the problems it seems. I would advise to get out of there. A teacher which is genuine will have a teaching that leads to the truth and is truthful himself. He will also teach compassion with compassion and encourages you to think for yourself and teach yourself. I see none of these qualities in what you describe. For the rest I agree with reflection.
Suffering is asking from life what it can never give you.
mindfulness, bliss and beyond (page 8) wrote:Do not linger on the past. Do not keep carrying around coffins full of dead moments
If you see any unskillful speech (or other action) from me let me know, so I can learn from it.
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

I stumbles accross the video which was posted on the forum some time ago
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill