Finally pinned it down...

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Beautiful Breath

Finally pinned it down...

Post by Beautiful Breath »

Hi all,

I don't know whether you recall some of my previous posts - effectively a confusion about where my affiliations fall (Theravada or Tibetan systems).

Anyway, the difficulty has always been articulating my confusions...I think I have got a little closer.

When I read Nargajuna or comentaries on the Heart Sutra my faith soars. I get a sense of deep understanding of Emptiness, believe me its palpable!

However, when I look at the practices in the Tibetan Schools, the complex Vajrayana pujas (of which I was Empowered to practice over two decades ago and was indeed an ardent student) I back off. Too much.

When I read some of the Suttas I don't feel the power and inspiration I do when reading the Mahayana texts.

However, when I look at the Theravadin practices I feel a strong resonance. Simple Samatha, Vipassana or especially Anapanasati are much more in-line with my current needs.

Can you see my quandary? Its not just a case of reading the Heart Sutra and practicing Vipassana - they both come with baggage that seem to be an inherent part of both schools.

Sorry if I am banging on the same door....but this is a massive part of my life and has been for a while.

Thanks for any input...! :namaste:
Nyana

Re: Finally pinned it down...

Post by Nyana »

Beautiful Breath wrote:However, when I look at the Theravadin practices I feel a strong resonance. Simple Samatha, Vipassana or especially Anapanasati are much more in-line with my current needs.
Then from a pragmatic perspective, this is a good thing to know, and you can practice accordingly.

Plus, there's nothing saying that you can't still draw some inspiration from the Heart Sūtra, etc.
Buckwheat

Post by Buckwheat »

Why you have to choose one over the other?
Sotthī hontu nirantaraṃ - May you forever be well.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Buckwheat wrote:Why you have to choose one over the other?
You don't. The Heart Sutra is a practice text that is mostly compatible with vipassana practice.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
manas

Post by manas »

sorry, BB, got rid of what I wrote before here

the only possibly useful thing I can add to the good advice already given, is to investigate things for yourself. Test the validity of sutras, test the validity of suttas. Find out if they help you to greater calm & clarity.

:anjali:
Last edited by manas on Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

If you re-read your post you might notice you are basing your assessment on these approaches based on how they make you feel.

Sometimes feeling is all you have to go on but one thing that practise teaches us is that feelings come and go according to causes and conditions and are not a reliable guide, thought is the same in this respect.

Ultimately you don't have to choose, make the most of any opportunity to learn even if it comes from an off-brand source.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
Beautiful Breath

Post by Beautiful Breath »

Thanks all...its an ongoing thing for me. Possibly irreconcilable!

BB...