The experience of the arahant

Exploring the Dhamma, as understood from the perspective of the ancient Pali commentaries.
retrofuturist

The experience of the arahant

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

I am looking to understand better the citta (mind) of the arahant, as understood in Classical Theravada.

I found the following online...
1. vitakka, vicara, piti, sukh’ekaggata sahitam
pathamajjhana arahatta-phala cittam.

2. vicara, piti, sukh’ekaggata sahitam
dutayajjhana arahatta-phala cittam.

3. piti, sukh’ekaggata sahitam
tatiyajjhana arahatta-phala cittam.

4. sukh’ekaggta sahitam
catutthajjhana arahatta-phala cittam.

5. upekkh’ekaggata sahitam
pancamajjhana arahatta-phala cittam.

Meanings

1. The first jhana arahatta fruit-consciousness together with initial application, sustained application, joy, bliss and one-pointedness.

2. The second jhana arahatta fruit-consciousness together with sustained application, joy, bliss and one-pointedness.

3. The third jhana arahatta fruit-consciousness together with joy, bliss and one-pointedness.

4. the fourth jhana arahatta fruit-consciousness together with bliss and one-pointedness.

5. The fifth jhana arahatta fruit-consciousness together with equanimity and one-pointedness.
Source: http://www.bddronline.net.au/bddr12no5/abhi013.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But this only talks of the arahant's mind in the context of jhana... what about outside jhana?

A table at that same link enumerates the various cittas. There are 40 lokuttara enumerated... of which 32 are somanassa (glad-minded-ness), and 8 are upekkha (equanimity).

Does the arahant experience only lokuttara-citta, or can they still experience lokiya-citta?

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
cooran

Re: The experience of the arahant

Post by cooran »

Hello Retro,

You may be interested in this .pdf:

Scroll down to page 5 for discussion of Citta -

Attributes of an Arahant
http://www.buddhistteachings.org/wp-con ... rahant.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

addit: Beginning on page 101 of this link:
Rune E. A. Johanssen’s Analysis of Citta: A Criticism by Arvind Sharma
http://mcgill.academia.edu/ArvindSharma ... _Criticism" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Chris,

Thanks for that - both were very interesting.

:reading: :reading:

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
robertk

Post by robertk »

Re retros question, yes of course arahats still experience lokiya dhammas!

Lokiya dhammas like seeing, color, hearing , sound etc are all - just as much as for a worling- part of an arahts daily life.
What never arises for the arahat- while a common part of daily life for the wordling- is anger, desire , ignorance , conceit and self view.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Thanks (as always) Robert.

Metta,
robertk

Post by robertk »

Thanks too, for bringing this up Retro.
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Hi Retro,
I do not the source but maybe of use

"The Arahants are individuals of one mind"
I believe it is one of the main disciples who said this, maybe Sariputta or Ananda.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

Cittasanto wrote:Hi Retro,

I believe it is one of the main disciples who said this, maybe Sariputta or Ananda.
This phrase is used in the Culagosinga Sutta, MN 31. Anuruddha says, "Venerable sir, we are various in bodies and one single in mind", referring to Nandiya and Kimbila and himself and their ability to mix like milk and water.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

daverupa wrote:
Cittasanto wrote:Hi Retro,

This phrase is used in the Culagosinga Sutta, MN 31. Anuruddha says, "Venerable sir, we are various in bodies and one single in mind", referring to Nandiya and Kimbila and himself and their ability to mix like milk and water.
Thanks Dave!
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Ytrog

Post by Ytrog »

Cooran, how did you find these sources? I'm curious because I'm always wondering how some people on DhammaWheel come up with some sources. I really want to learn more. :reading:
Suffering is asking from life what it can never give you.
mindfulness, bliss and beyond (page 8) wrote:Do not linger on the past. Do not keep carrying around coffins full of dead moments
If you see any unskillful speech (or other action) from me let me know, so I can learn from it.