What music are you listening to right now?

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
m0rl0ck

Re: What music are you listening to right now?

Post by m0rl0ck »

Two scottish guys doing a ramones song on ukeleles.
“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

I had to go to work so missed most of the Olympic close. I'm sure Retro enjoyed the Pet Shop boys...
It was good to hear some of John Lennon's classics, and Ray Davies singing Waterloo Sunset...

Coincidentally, the first 45 I ever owned was "Lola"...

:anjali:
Mike
Ben

Post by Ben »

mikenz66 wrote:I had to go to work so missed most of the Olympic close. I'm sure Retro enjoyed the Pet Shop boys...
It was good to hear some of John Lennon's classics, and Ray Davies singing Waterloo Sunset...

Coincidentally, the first 45 I ever owned was "Lola"...

Mike
I missed it too.
Waterloo Sunset is a great song!
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Thanks, Ben, The Kinks unfortunately, faded into obscurity despite their ground-breaking music, perhaps the first proto-metal from 1964.

That song is partly notable in musician circles for the session musicians variously rumoured to have played on the session, or not, including the late Jon Lord (later of Deep Purple) on piano and Jimmy Page on guitar (who has denied it):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You_Really_Got_Me" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

And spare a thought for Jimmy, snubbed for the 2012 ceremonies...

http://www.nme.com/news/led-zeppelin/64101" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

At least he had Beijing...

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6jher ... live_music" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mike
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Kinks brilliant.

A bit different and ahead of their time with 1965 bit of soft rock (crank up the volume to 11):

>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

One more from 1966:

>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Thanks Tilt. Another great "forgotten" 60's group. Beck and Clapton on guitars according to what I can glean from the internet. Sounds like a Beck solo...

How about the Yardbirds in Blow Up. Now Beck/Page...

Very funny performance by Beck, doing the Townsend thing with his amps and guitar while Page rocks on...

Mike
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Mike,
mikenz66 wrote:I'm sure Retro enjoyed the Pet Shop boys...
I didn't get to see them, but I did enjoy seeing this picture, complete with trademark pointy hats that made them look suspiciously like the Olympic stadium itself.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Beck was a bit more jazzy ten year or so later when I saw him with Jan Hammer, etc.

Mike
Ytrog

Post by Ytrog »

At this moment nothing, but I do sometimes listen to an ambient internet radio station I can recommend: Goove Salad
Suffering is asking from life what it can never give you.
mindfulness, bliss and beyond (page 8) wrote:Do not linger on the past. Do not keep carrying around coffins full of dead moments
If you see any unskillful speech (or other action) from me let me know, so I can learn from it.
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

Remembering Simon, my brother-in-law, who passed away while staying with us in March, I recalled this song.

_/|\_
SDC

Post by SDC »

Dillinger

“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
yawares

Post by yawares »

Dear Members,

Whenever I feel sleepy...I'll listen to these songs :

Mony Mony : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RULayj_kW-Y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Larger Than Life : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPF951Zxvl8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

yawares :heart: songs
perkele

Post by perkele »

A particularly unbuddhist song, appealing to hatred and violence:

Of my favorite band from old times: Virgin Steele. Here is a cool photo of them:

:thinking: