Going to Thailand in December...any advice?

Theravāda in the 21st century - modern applications of ancient wisdom

Postby Beautiful Breath » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:31 pm

Hi everyone,

My partner and I are planning a trip to Thailand in december - hopefully between Christmas and New Year. She wants the beach...I want the Wats...haha! Any ideas regarding best way ahead generally would be gratefully appreciated - ie agents, hotels resorts etc... Thanks!!!

BB...
Beautiful Breath

Re: Going to Thailand in December...any advice?

Postby plwk » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:23 pm

If u find an Ajahn Brahm amulet lemme know :lol:
Bhikkhus, if you develop and make much this one thing,
it invariably leads to weariness, cessation, appeasement, realization and extinction.
What is it? It is recollecting the Enlightened One.
If this single thing is recollected and made much,
it invariably leads to weariness, cessation, appeasement, realization and extinction.

Anguttara-Nikaya: Ekanipata: Ekadhammapali: Pañhamavagga
VSM VMM WBB TBHT WTBT My Page
plwk

Postby GraemeR » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:23 pm

Beautiful Breath wrote:Hi everyone,

My partner and I are planning a trip to Thailand in december - hopefully between Christmas and New Year. She wants the beach...I want the Wats...haha! Any ideas regarding best way ahead generally would be gratefully appreciated - ie agents, hotels resorts etc... Thanks!!!

BB...

BB

easier to say where to avoid - Pattaya, Pukhet Bangkok in my view.

Have a look on the internet get some more ideas and I can give more advice

G
GraemeR

Postby retrofuturist » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:09 am

Greetings,

Should you be landed with the (relative) misfortune of finding yourself en route to Phuket as opposed to somewhere further north, do check out Phuket Town!

Phuket Town & Surrounding Wats
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 543&type=3

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby Beautiful Breath » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:13 am

...thanks.

Are there any resources that could offer up some advice for the first time (Buddhist) traveller to Thailand?

BB...
Beautiful Breath

Postby Kare » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:57 pm

Learn some elementary Thai before you go. There are several courses on CD available. Many people there speak and understand English, but a few words in Thai (even with rather mediocre pronunciation) will be useful at the markets, and you will be praised as the greatest linguist of all times ... :D
Mettāya,
Kåre
Kare

Postby retrofuturist » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:53 pm

Greetings,

Kare wrote:Learn some elementary Thai before you go. There are several courses on CD available. Many people there speak and understand English, but a few words in Thai (even with rather mediocre pronunciation) will be useful at the markets, and you will be praised as the greatest linguist of all times ... :D

It's fun, too. I learned a few rudimentary phrases from a Lonely Planet guide before going to Phuket and it's such a wonderful way to engage with the locals.

Phom chawp Thailand!

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby Beautiful Breath » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:47 pm

...can't wait to go... Will likely sort out my Tibetan/Theravadin/Zen quandaries too...! :reading:

BB...
Beautiful Breath

Postby GraemeR » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:50 am

Beautiful Breath wrote:...thanks.

Are there any resources that could offer up some advice for the first time (Buddhist) traveller to Thailand?

BB...

Lonely Planet is good

Graham
GraemeR

Must places to visit on a short trip

Postby Beautiful Breath » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:19 pm

Hi all,

I am planning a relatively short trip to Thailand in Jan next year - my partner and I (who is not a Buddhist, though that's not an issue) have no idea regarding what are the must see places for a Lay Buddhist traveling there for the first time.

All advice gratefully received!

BB...
Beautiful Breath

Re: Must places to visit on a short trip

Postby cooran » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:33 pm

Hello BB,

This site may be of use:

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/t ... ID=1863457

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
cooran

Postby Kim OHara » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:56 pm

Hi, BB,
This thread seems to duplicate this one > http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=13358&p=199360&hilit=Phuket#p199360
Perhaps they should be merged?

:namaste:
Kim
Kim OHara

Postby mikenz66 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:00 am

Kim O'Hara wrote:Hi, BB,
This thread seems to duplicate this one > http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=13358&p=199360&hilit=Phuket#p199360

Kim

Now merged.

:anjali:
Mike
mikenz66

Postby Beautiful Breath » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:39 am

./..well not quite a duplicate but I did ppost twice as I was specifically after advice about travelling there rather than when I get there...apologies! :bow:

BB...

mikenz66 wrote:
Kim O'Hara wrote:Hi, BB,

Kim

Now merged.

:anjali:
Mike
Beautiful Breath

Postby Beautiful Breath » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:21 pm

...alrighty then... :thinking:

Lonely Planet Guide it is then!

I was hoping that someone from the UK had made the trip reqularly and could offer some advice?

No probs if there's nobody in here who has been!

_/\_

BB...
Beautiful Breath

Postby yawares » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:33 pm

Beautiful Breath wrote:Hi everyone,
BB...

Dear BB,
-Please keep PEPTO BISMAL with you always.

-Must have spirit to bargain for everything you want to buy.. 50% off asking price(except food/dessert)...only PAY after you HAVE the merchandises in your hand!!...many cheating salepeople(happened to me/Tep!!)

-You should write your name on the money..just in case you give them 500baths..but they say you give 50baths..with your name you can have evidence!!! (HAPPENED TO ME TOO!!!)

-Buy 1/2/3 days tour at your hotel...the best way to see all the beautiful tourist spots.

-Please don't drink water/beverage too much while on the road...bad bad traffic..(so you don't have to go RESTROOM during bad traffic!!!!)

***There are bad people in every country ....SAD but TRUE !!!
yawares
:shock:
yawares

Postby chownah » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:57 am

There are wats everywhere in Thailand and I think that this includes beaches.....on the other hand if there are certain wats you wish to visit then the only realistic option is to go to where they are regardless of whether there is a beach close by or not....so.....if you just want to see a bunch of wats then go to the beaches and check out the local wats (which will be mostly very small ones I guess).

As to traveling in Thailand you might try the Thaivisa.com forum or the teakdoor.com forum.
Also
bring ear plugs (can be hard to find here and they are not expensive or heavy to bring with
bring Immodium-AD or buy some at a pharmacy as soon as you arrive...it is a very effective anti-diahreal with I think no side effects....some people take it before a long journey as a preventative measure
bring the condoms you use as most of the ones here are uncomfortable for some people to use
bring a light jacket and/or a long sleeve shirt as it can be chilly in December (or buy one upon arrival or if needed)

bottled drinking water is available just about everywhere and if you want to carry some in your pack then buy the kind with a screw on cap and not the push on cap as the push on will push off and your pack will be flooded

ice is sometimes made with local water and so it is just as likely to make you sick although I live here in Thailand and gladly accept drinks with ice in them
don't forget the immodium-AD....it is inexpensive and works great!!!!

If you like to see a bunch of famous wats you might consider visiting Luang Prabang in Laos as it has a street which has several right in a row.....but the only beach would be on the Mekong River and would probably not satisfy your friends yearnings for the beach.

chownah
chownah

Postby Kim OHara » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:01 am

Hi, chownah,
It's good to see you back after a bit of a break, :smile:

I'm going to be travelling in Laos in a month or two on an adventure-travel tour - Hanoi-Vientiane-LuangPrabang-Chiang Mai. I won't have much flexibility but will have a little bit of free time during the trip and two days in Chiang Mai at the end of it. Is there anything I should make a special effort to do or see?

Kim
Kim OHara

Postby harveysmith27 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:23 am

I have visited Thailand twice.
its such a good country to visit and people living there are very nice.
if you want to beech then you go phuket. Phuket is awesome and if you want to some shopping then Bangkok.
harveysmith27

Postby Kare » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:25 pm

In Bangkok don't miss the Buddhist Bookshop in Thanon Phra Sumeru (pronounced Thanon Phra Sumen), right across the road from Wat Bowonniwet.
Mettāya,
Kåre
Kare

Next

Return to Theravāda for the modern world