[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Dhamma Wheel • View topic - Gethin's writings on meditation, need some help

Gethin's writings on meditation, need some help

Textual analysis and comparative discussion on early Buddhist sects and texts.

Gethin's writings on meditation, need some help

Postby sphairos » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:35 am

Hi everyone!

Could somebody help me to clarify what R. Gethin is referring to in his article On the practice of Buddhist Meditation (2004), when he says:
"The Satipatthana Sutta takes the form of an exposition of a stock satipatthana formula that is found in overt 40 places in the four Nikayas9"

The footnote 9 says:
"For references see Gethin (1992), 355."

Could somebody look it up and tell me what he is referring to at this page, as I don't have the first edition of his Buddhist path to awakening (1992) ?
sphairos

Re: Gethin's writings on meditation, need some help

Postby tiltbillings » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:32 am

sphairos wrote:Hi everyone!

Could somebody help me to clarify what R. Gethin is referring to in his article On the practice of Buddhist Meditation (2004), when he says:
"The Satipatthana Sutta takes the form of an exposition of a stock satipatthana formula that is found in overt 40 places in the four Nikayas9"

The footnote 9 says:
"For references see Gethin (1992), 355."

Could somebody look it up and tell me what he is referring to at this page, as I don't have the first edition of his Buddhist path to awakening (1992) ?
It is a list of textual references for the basic satipatthana forumal from the suttas and such.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/98642318/Rupe ... hamm%C4%81
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond.
SN I, 38.

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.

dheamhan a fhios agam

"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts." -- Jack Johnson
tiltbillings

Re: Gethin's writings on meditation, need some help

Postby sphairos » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:32 am

tiltbillings wrote:It is a list of textual references for the basic satipatthana forumal from the suttas and such.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/98642318/Rupe ... hamm%C4%81

Thanks, tiltbillings,

Finally I got it :) I have a copy of the second edition, but I thought page numbers aren't the same.
sphairos

Return to Early Buddhism