New research sugests Addiction is a Choice

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Cittasanto

New research sugests Addiction is a Choice

Post by Cittasanto »

http://www2.macleans.ca/2009/05/26/addi ... -a-choice/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

interesting
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
atulo

Re: New research sugests Addiction is a Choice

Post by atulo »

some more thoughts on addiction:

[Nanavira Thera's Letter 13] 25 May 1962
Fede

Post by Fede »

I have never thought of it as anything else, and have always objected silently when people have referred to such addictions as diseases. They're nothing of the kind.
They might have developed into a personal sickness, but it's a self-made one.

(In the same way I can't stand it when couples announce:
"We're pregnant!"

No, 'We're' not!
She might be - but it's like eggs and bacon....
The chicken contributes. The Pig commits.
Same thing.....!)
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Fede wrote:
(In the same way I can't stand it when couples announce:
"We're pregnant!"

No, 'We're' not!
She might be - but it's like eggs and bacon....
The chicken contributes. The Pig commits.
Same thing.....!)
I like it, I have only heard the we're pregnant in films and shows from america, not in real life, well only once so I felt the blokes stomach and asked if it was kicking yet!
:juggling:

but that asside the medical definition of a disease although doesn't include actions of will, it does incorporatte a wide array of problems basically anything wrong and it is a disease, which to the common lay person (non-medical lay person I mean) gets confusing, and off topic to what a disease may be percieved by.

My dislike for some groups is that they have members who are there for years still standing up and saying I am an alcoholic and I have been sober for 99 months now like that is some achievement that they are still an alcoholic who don't drink instead of a person, who doesn't drink it is in my mind negativly reinforcing alcohol onto someone who is not an alcoholic.

I think anything which is a learnt behaviour, based on views or copying a role model, that can be treated by comfronting the view, and relearning behaviour isn't a disease but a learning mishap or in other words a habit which isn't doing what it is thought it should be.

the Buddha said make yourself your own refuge, and spiritual friendship is the whole of the path, and groups are good at the latter providing a comunity of like minded individuals who have the same goal, but the effectiveness of the groups can not be judged if someone leaves, and a groups of the disease model may be used by some for a support group and their actual path isn't based on the idoligy of that group, but I don't think groups are good at the former.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill