Would this site still function with a text-only O.S.?

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
manas

Would this site still function with a text-only O.S.?

Post by manas »

Hi all

I've put this topic under 'wellness' because my Internet usage is way too much and I am going to take a strong measure to deal with it, since nothing else seems to work. The amount of time I spend daily in front of my pc is negatively impacting on my health, physically. mentally and socially. If I could just remove one element - photographic images - the 'addictive' aspect of the Net would be removed for me, and I could have my life back, so to speak.

I went on to this Linux forum, and the people there seem to suggest that one's browsing experience would be severely limited thesedays with a text-only O.S. But as I really only need the Internet for researching stuff and acquiring knowledge etc, maybe that won't be such a problem. In particular I wanted to ask: would the Dhamma Wheel site still fully function for me, with a text-only Operating System?

kind regards
manas
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
m0rl0ck

Re: Would this site still function with a text-only O.S.?

Post by m0rl0ck »

Works is in the eye of the beholder maybe, but i did manage to navigate to this thread and post this reply using "links" a text only browser for linux.

EDIT: and keep in mind that afaik there is no text only os. Most linux distros these days come with a couple of different choices of graphical interface, at least a couple of different browsers and at least a couple of video / audio players.
“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig
m0rl0ck

Post by m0rl0ck »

Just a second thought, dont make it an all or nothing decision. You can dual boot your current os with a *nix and see if you like it. Given the usage numbers you see, i guess the *nixes dont agree with most people :)
“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig
manas

Post by manas »

m0rl0ck wrote:Just a second thought, dont make it an all or nothing decision. You can dual boot your current os with a *nix and see if you like it. Given the usage numbers you see, i guess the *nixes dont agree with most people :)
'
'
Hi Morlock,

thanks for making that test-run, it's good to have some testimony that it can be done.

I just read about something called a 'live CD' which would enable to me to trial 'Debian' off the CD, without having to install it, so yes I will not make any drastic leaps until I'm sure.

:anjali:
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
m0rl0ck

Post by m0rl0ck »

Youre welcome. Vector linux is a great user and newbie friendly distro that has an active user support forum.
The live CD version of the latest release is here http://vectorlinux.com/downloads" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
matais

Post by matais »

Hello,

I'm currently visiting dhammawheel.com through elinks, a text-only browser. Except for not being able to see any avatars and emoticons, the experience is rather good. See attached screenshots.
Attachments
Posting a reply
Posting a reply
post.png (8.82 KiB) Viewed 3413 times
Adding an attachment to my reply
Adding an attachment to my reply
attachment.png (16.55 KiB) Viewed 3413 times
This topic in elinks
This topic in elinks
topic.png (11.44 KiB) Viewed 3413 times
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

I spend too much time on the web too, manas, and sadly a text-only browser would not really make much difference, because I lot of the time it is with text! :embarassed: Image

My suggestion would be to get rid of internet altogether and use internet cafe for the forum, etc time.
_/|\_
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

It's a rather anachronistic idea that Unix/Linux systems are text only. Sure, you typically run servers without even a monitor, but it's a little sad that newcomers to graphical interfaces verlook that the first graphical web browser was written on a Unix sytem http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosaic_%28web_browser%29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :coffee:

Some remember fondly the Sun Unix systems from the 80's with 19 or 21 inch screens, GUIs, etc, etc, at the time Macs had those dinky little screens (to make them affordable for home use presumably) and Windows didn't really exist as a viable product. And, of course, the Linux kernel made all those tools available available on mass-market intel-based computers. There's a bit of a history here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of ... _interface" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

From my interest point of view (scientific computing) it took MS and Apple a while to get decent functionality, but there's little functionality difference now between the available GUI's on different OS's these days. There are, of course, differences in preferences, but that's another issue entirely... :tongue:

[Posted from Firefox on Fedora Linux with Gnome GUI].

Mike
manas

Post by manas »

Dan74 wrote:
My suggestion would be to get rid of internet altogether and use internet cafe for the forum, etc time.
I tried that, and I did not last very long. I ended up just going down to the store and getting a basic connection up and running again. Too easy.

I need to be able to access the Internet at home for information gathering and research. For example, ATI, this forum, and alternative news sites, etc, so I can remain informed. Going down the road to the library is tedious and cumbersome, and they are not open practical hours for me.

So, I am very tempted to get an ancient PC that is literally incapable of displaying images, and using a Linux OS on it. Somehow, I have to get control over this issue. (Before anyone says, "why not just use self-discipline to control Internet use?", yes indeed I've fought tooth and nail over and over like that, and it has never worked long-term. I am looking for another solution. A 'middle way', where I still have the Net, but it is too 'boring' to become all-consuming to this unemployed single man living alone and quite isolated in his flat out in the sticks. I want to put it in it's correct place. Information gathering and research.

metta.
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

When I went to grad school, I made sure to get a nice computer with a somewhat crummy video card to prevent games from taking up too much time. Ultimately, much of my time was spent gaming on a computer with a crummy video card.

I think even an old Epson with a monochrome monitor and a DOS boot disc on a 5-1/4" floppy would still see me playing Freddy's Rescue Roundup long after I was supposed to be productive elsewhere, and that's if I wasn't playing with multiple-choice role-playing game design in BASIC.

No, these artificially-constructed extrinsic motivators never seem to address the root issues, do they?

:heart:
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

I intend to just run my current computer into the ground.

If the world upgrades around me, and requirements for various sites and applications go up around me then so be it - I'll catch up when the computer breaks down.

Interesting to see matais's screenshots, rather retrofuturistic. ;)

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
corrine

Post by corrine »

Wouldn't it be simpler to just set a time limit? Perhaps with a actual, physical timer, to maybe one hour?

I do this so as not to waste too much time just playing on the internet. I can just get lost in the many interesting places on the internet if I do not time myself. When the timer goes off, the roaming stops. I use the internet for book research, so turning it off is not an option, nor is eliminating the visual as the visual makes all the difference in my research, but that does not give me license to just wander around doing nothing of any import for hours on end.

So I use a timer. It works for me. Maybe it will work for you too.

corrine
manas

Post by manas »

corrine wrote:Wouldn't it be simpler to just set a time limit? Perhaps with a actual, physical timer, to maybe one hour?

I do this so as not to waste too much time just playing on the internet. I can just get lost in the many interesting places on the internet if I do not time myself. When the timer goes off, the roaming stops. I use the internet for book research, so turning it off is not an option, nor is eliminating the visual as the visual makes all the difference in my research, but that does not give me license to just wander around doing nothing of any import for hours on end.

So I use a timer. It works for me. Maybe it will work for you too.

corrine
I have thought of that, and it would solve the issue of late nights, yes. I could set the timer to shut down the PC at 11 pm every night, and arrange some heavy furniture so that it is 'not worth the effort' of dragging everything away to reset or unplug the timer so as to keep going on the Net. I would have to just go to bed at 11.

:namaste:
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I feel this is the wrong approach. Looking for computer based solutions is just something else to do on the computer.

Get away from the flat more often. Just walk out of the door and go to a park or beach to meditate.

Go for a retreat. I see that Dhammaruwan is giving a retreat next month at the Victoria Buddhist Society.

Listen to the Paritta Chanting he did as a young boy. Its among the best that you can find anywhere.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
manas

Post by manas »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:I feel this is the wrong approach. Looking for computer based solutions is just something else to do on the computer.

Get away from the flat more often. Just walk out of the door and go to a park or beach to meditate.

Go for a retreat. I see that Dhammaruwan is giving a retreat next month at the Victoria Buddhist Society.

Listen to the Paritta Chanting he did as a young boy. Its among the best that you can find anywhere.
I heard Dhammaruwan's rendition of the Dhammacakkapavattana Sutta before, it is beautifully melodic.

I appreciate your advice, Bhante. You are right, but I must admit that I'm battling with a kind of reclusiveness at present, and not the healthy type. What I really need is meaningful employment, ie paid, so I can take better care of my kids etc (when I actually have them, which is only on the weekends, however). But I don't find any employer who is willing to take on a 43 year old, long-term unemployed man who is only formally qualified in music, in this current economic climate of more people seeming to lose their jobs every day. This is why I spend so much time on the darned computer, I don't have enough to do. I would happily take on even a humble and mundane job, but gosh getting knocked back over, and over, and over again...after a while one gets the feeling that employers just aren't interested.

On a positive note, I have just begun a Government-sponsored initiative that helps persons in my situation to establish their own small business. With my musical background, I'm hoping to offer tutoring in music theory, for which there is more of a demand. (Piano teachers are already very plentiful, they are a dime a dozen.) That is my best chance of getting out of this rut I'm currently in. Plus resuming formal meditation practice wouldn't hurt, either...