I am sure there is a lesson in this somewhere

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
tiltbillings

I am sure there is a lesson in this somewhere

Post by tiltbillings »

>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Ben

Re: I am sure there is a lesson in this somewhere

Post by Ben »

I'm sure there is, too.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

A very very quiet lesson, though.

:popcorn:
Kim
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

Commentary:

"very very Image lesson" it is said... :stirthepot:
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Perhaps Venerable Mahakaccana will be along presently to expound the meaning in detail...

:anjali:
Mike
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

I thought of a possible lesson:

Greed can kill.

Don't know for sure but think the toad may die or get injured from taking on more than he can handle / digest.
Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

must be some strange Koan, haha. All I see is a question mark with a blue box around it
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."
Ytrog

Post by Ytrog »

polarbuddha101 wrote:must be some strange Koan, haha. All I see is a question mark with a blue box around it
Me too :(

EDIT

When I open it in a new tab it says "attachment removed". While this is normally a good thing for us Buddhists it is slightly inconvenient now ;)
Last edited by Ytrog on Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Suffering is asking from life what it can never give you.
mindfulness, bliss and beyond (page 8) wrote:Do not linger on the past. Do not keep carrying around coffins full of dead moments
If you see any unskillful speech (or other action) from me let me know, so I can learn from it.
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

Can you put the link, Tilt? I too don't see the picture.
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
dharmagoat

Post by dharmagoat »

The attachment got fried somehow.
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

dharmagoat wrote:The attachment got fried somehow.
ba-dum *ksh*
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

For those who could not see the picture and now wish they hadn't:
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Ben

Post by Ben »

And there I was thinking it was some sort of subversive commentary on my role as administrator!!
Oh the horror!
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Screen shot 2012-08-21.png
Screen shot 2012-08-21.png (54.95 KiB) Viewed 4092 times
Tilt,
I could not see the picture and still can't. I'm not sure I want to, but 12 posts about a mystery subject is as irritating as a pebble in my shoe ... enlighten us, if you can, in words.

:namaste:
Kim
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Try this link:

http://resources1.news.com.au/images/20 ... llfrog.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;