Consuming Less Is A Real Possibility

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
Kim OHara

Re: Consuming Less Is A Real Possibility

Post by Kim OHara »

marc108 wrote:I would imagine with extended meditation and inactivity the basal metabolic rate would go wayyyyy down.
Yeah ... someone pretty famous :buddha2: was living on one grain of rice per day while meditating almost continuously, wasn't he?

:meditate:
Kim
danieLion

Post by danieLion »

marc108 wrote:
Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:That doesn't seem to be working for me though — I don't eat much, but I am not getting enough exercise.
I would imagine with extended meditation and inactivity the basal metabolic rate would go wayyyyy down.
Partially depends on how much you trust the BMR metrics.
manas

Post by manas »

I'm very thin no matter what or how much I eat, so the whole weight issue is irrelevant to me. But I have tried many special 'health diets' such as vegan, raw vegan, etc, and observed positive effects on physical and mental health. But -if one swings from one extreme diet, to normality again (or worse still, from 'purge' to 'binge') - that is not healthy for the body. And I tended to oscillate like that, so now I just try to be moderate, neither eating too much, nor too little. The body likes regularity, and doesn't like extremes.

If we need to fast sometimes, our body tells us, when we are sick for example we can naturally lose interest in eating. It's good to go with that, drinking water etc and letting the body do it's detox. If we stay away from pharmaceutical drugs, our body usually knows what is best for it, and we can develop a sensitivity to it's needs, ime.

:anjali:
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
danieLion wrote:Edit: I want it to be about how to consume less, not why we "should" consume less. But I'm not the only poster in this topic.
Reducing craving via the N8P, and specifically, regarding food and other requisites in the manner advised by the Buddha.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
danieLion

Post by danieLion »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,
danieLion wrote:Edit: I want it to be about how to consume less, not why we "should" consume less. But I'm not the only poster in this topic.
Reducing craving via the N8P, and specifically, regarding food and other requisites in the manner advised by the Buddha.

Metta,
Retro. :)
I agree!
I've learned a lot about tanhā from watching my food cravings, especially the ones for monosaccharides.