Need some help

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
Sandrokyptos

Need some help

Post by Sandrokyptos »

Hey,

I'm an American, of Indian descent. My parents are hindus, but I'm actually agnostic, but I'm trying to find ways to use the buddha's teachings to find contentment in my life. I'm kinda travelling right now, so I need a mobile sangha that I can use to begin following secular Theravada buddhism.

I'm 21 years old, a student (studying history and anthropology).

What kind of lifestyle changes should I make to start off? Any suggestions?
Kim OHara

Re: Need some help

Post by Kim OHara »

Hi, Sandrokyptos, and welcome to DW.
Very quickly:
Lifestyle changes? Following the five precepts, if you are not doing that already. See http://www.dailybuddhism.com/archives/1153 (not necessarily the best outline of them, just the first good one I found).
Other suggestion: visit our Introductory Resources page, http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=148

:namaste:
Kim
puppha

Post by puppha »

Hi Sandrokyptos,

Welcome to DW.
:group:
Sandrokyptos wrote:What kind of lifestyle changes should I make to start off? Any suggestions?
For what goal? Define your goal(s) first, then you will see more clearly what you have to do.

With Metta
Alobha

Post by Alobha »

Welcome Sandrokyptos!

If you look for more contentment in want to know more about the Buddha's teaching, reading introductory resources about the noble eightfold path would be the best start. My personal suggestion would be to read: The Word of the Buddha by Nyanaponika Mahathera.
The Introductory Resources page (see Kim's post) is a great way to educate yourself about the Buddha's teachings, too.
Once you have a basis and know what the teachings are about, what they offer and what they don't offer, that would be a good time to decide whether you want to follow this path and which life changes you want to make in order to follow it.

Best wishes,
Alobha
Sandrokyptos

Post by Sandrokyptos »

puppha wrote:Hi Sandrokyptos,

Welcome to DW.
:group:
Sandrokyptos wrote:What kind of lifestyle changes should I make to start off? Any suggestions?
For what goal? Define your goal(s) first, then you will see more clearly what you have to do.

With Metta
I would like to try and find the path to a life of more happiness. I also have two questions, should I quit masturbating? Should I quit smoking? How strictly am I expected to follow the fifth precept?
puppha

Post by puppha »

Dear Sandrokyptos,
Sandrokyptos wrote:I would like to try and find the path to a life of more happiness.
In that case, the noble eightfold path will lead you there.
As Kim mentioned, starting by observing the 5 precepts is a very good start.
Also, going for refuge to the Buddha, Dhamma and Sangha is traditionally regarded as "becoming a buddhist".
Sandrokyptos wrote:I also have two questions, should I quit masturbating? Should I quit smoking? How strictly am I expected to follow the fifth precept?
Honestly, I think only you can answer those questions.
Just a bit of advice: keep your goal in mind. When doing those, be mindful of your goal: "does this make me happy?"

Generally speaking, start from the beginning and take the resolution to tread the path one step at a time. Trying to "over stretch" yourself will just make things very difficult for you. The most important is the will to progress.
As you walk along the path, sensual desires such as the ones you mentioned will become less appealing. It can take months or years.

HTH!

With Metta
bodom

Post by bodom »

Welcome Sandrokyptos!

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Khalil Bodhi

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

Welcome Sandrokyptos!
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

The Stoic Buddhist: https://www.quora.com/q/dwxmcndlgmobmeu ... pOR2p0uAdH
My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com