Meditation focused groups

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Christopherxx

Meditation focused groups

Post by Christopherxx »

Hi there,

My last post was on the thai forest tradition.

I know the mahasi method is large in burma and I have heard of the mahasi centre yet I am wondering if there are monasteries that follow such a schedule as the centre but allow an individual to live a life there (ordination, etc.).

Also apart from the thai forest tradition and mahasi centres are there any other groups within Theravada that focus mainly if not exlusively on meditation (either at the monks discretion) or schedule with a certain style like mahasi tradition?

Thank you! :)

& Metta wishes
Goofaholix

Re: Meditation focused groups

Post by Goofaholix »

Christopherxx wrote:I know the mahasi method is large in burma and I have heard of the mahasi centre yet I am wondering if there are monasteries that follow such a schedule as the centre but allow an individual to live a life there (ordination, etc.).
I'm not sure what you're asking, they all allow an individual to live a life there.
Christopherxx wrote:Also apart from the thai forest tradition and mahasi centres are there any other groups within Theravada that focus mainly if not exlusively on meditation (either at the monks discretion) or schedule with a certain style like mahasi tradition?
The Thai forest tradition doesn't emphasise meditation, at least not to the extant that the Burmese do. There are lots of different schools or approaches besides these two.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
Christopherxx

Post by Christopherxx »

I wasn't aware that the mahasi centre was structured like that - I thought it was a pay per stay style structure rather than a conventional monastery or ordination style centre.

Also would you be able to expand a bit on the second part?

Metta wishes and thanks for taking the time :).
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Christopher,
Christopherxx wrote:I wasn't aware that the mahasi centre was structured like that ...
There isn't really such a thing as a worldwide "Mahasi Centre Structure". Many different monasteries (and lay organisations) teach variations of that style, and have their own way of organising things.

Having said that, there will be groupings. Those are closely affiliated with U Pandita's monasteries (U Pandita was one of Sayadaw Mahasi's students), for example, will have a similar structure. However, I don't think you'll find the sort of consistency that Goenka's organisation has. Monasteries don't really work that way (hence the enormous variety in even the Ajahn Chah sub strand of the "Thai Forest Tradition").

:anjali:
Mike
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

Hi ChristopherXX

The Galduwa tradition is a similar meditative tradition found in Sri Lanka. Nissaranawanaya is a branch centre which has western monks ordaining. They follow either the Mahasi or U Panditha style with Jhanas thrown in, depending on your teacher.
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
Christopherxx

Post by Christopherxx »

Great info guys!

Thanks so much.

It always great to have a resource where people that have trodden the same ground can help you out a bit :)

wishes well!
Christopherxx

Post by Christopherxx »

mikenz66

I was hoping you could maybe list some of the monasteries associated with U Pandita; Do any such locations exist in the west?

Thanks mike!
LonesomeYogurt

Post by LonesomeYogurt »

http://nauyana.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Na Uyana Monastery is one of Sri Lanka's greatest meditation centers. I'd really recommend checking it out; for a non-Western organization, its accommodations are comparatively great.
Gain and loss, status and disgrace,
censure and praise, pleasure and pain:
these conditions among human beings are inconstant,
impermanent, subject to change.

Knowing this, the wise person, mindful,
ponders these changing conditions.
Desirable things don’t charm the mind,
undesirable ones bring no resistance.

His welcoming and rebelling are scattered,
gone to their end,
do not exist.
- Lokavipatti Sutta

Stuff I write about things.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Christopher,
Christopherxx wrote:mikenz66
I was hoping you could maybe list some of the monasteries associated with U Pandita; Do any such locations exist in the west?
There are some monastaries that are specficially affiliated here:
http://www.saddhamma.org/html/resources ... ters.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.panditarama.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

However, my point was that thousands of monastaries and lay teachers use that style, so "associated" could mean a lot of different things...

:anjali:
Mike
Christopherxx

Post by Christopherxx »

thanks yogurt :)

and yah mike i see what you mean now - i guess i have this certain paradigm about how things "would work" but it is much more complex than that haha

thanks again guys!
marc108

Post by marc108 »

Bhante G's place:
http://www.bhavanasociety.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanissaro Bhikkhu's place (Thai Forrest, but not from the Ajahn Chah lineage):
http://www.watmetta.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"It's easy for us to connect with what's wrong with us... and not so easy to feel into, or to allow us, to connect with what's right and what's good in us."