Living simply

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
Ytrog

Living simply

Post by Ytrog »

I intend to simplify my life and to do that I searched a bit for how others where doing it.

Here a few links I found: http://zenhabits.net/simple-living-mani ... your-life/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.wikihow.com/Simplify-Your-Life" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

i'm currently trying to get the stuff out of my house bit by bit and cut my time spend behind a computer (not easy as a programmer btw.).

Are you trying to simplify your life and how are you doing it? Please share your methods, experiences, what works and what not. :anjali:
Suffering is asking from life what it can never give you.
mindfulness, bliss and beyond (page 8) wrote:Do not linger on the past. Do not keep carrying around coffins full of dead moments
If you see any unskillful speech (or other action) from me let me know, so I can learn from it.
dharmagoat

Re: Living simply

Post by dharmagoat »

What are your commitments?

Establishing that is the first step, in my opinion. These are what structure your lifestyle.
Alobha

Post by Alobha »

Ytrog wrote:I intend to simplify my life and to do that I searched a bit for how others where doing it.

Here a few links I found: http://zenhabits.net/simple-living-mani ... your-life/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.wikihow.com/Simplify-Your-Life" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

i'm currently trying to get the stuff out of my house bit by bit and cut my time spend behind a computer (not easy as a programmer btw.).

Are you trying to simplify your life and how are you doing it? Please share your methods, experiences, what works and what not. :anjali:
Ouh, thanks for the Zen habits link! Quite some good advice there!

One thing I usually do is making to-do lists. It's an easy way to get an overview of worktasks and it motivates to get started when one has a firm grasp at the actual load of work.
Besides that, i'm gradually dropping out of some hobbies which are done out of commitment to others and not because I enjoy them too much. I try to use the freed up time for more fun stuff but internet is a big time waster, which i need to cut yet (already on it.)

I also slowly take up the habit that before I make a commitment to something that complicates my life, I consider twice how much time it will consume and what the output will be. Some things gradually fall away over time but on the other side we always fill them up with something else! That's where the free space goes adios :D

Another thing I found very helpful is just asking yourself what your life-goal is regulary. It brings your priorities back into focus and moves you out of the daily treadmill.
Another thing is to put a piece of paper in your bathroom that reads "Are you happy with what you are going to do today?" - If the answer is no too often (keep a tally sheet), then one is much more motivated to initiate changes.
manas

Post by manas »

Hi Ytrog

I know all about living simply...it's easy - have no money left over for discretionary spending. After having paid the rent, and installments on power, petrol and a debt or two, I have just enough money left over for food - and lately, i even tend to run out of that. My only 'luxury' is that once a fortnight i buy some incense, and even that I try to get when it's discounted.

Poverty - it works!

metta. :anjali:
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Ytrog wrote:I intend to simplify my life and to do that I searched a bit for how others where doing it.

Hi, Ytrog and all,
For me it's a slow process because I don't want it to become another source of stress and busyness. But it's habitually at the back of my mind so that when (e.g.) I am deciding whether to buy a gadget, I ask myself whether it is really worth having the extra clutter; when I am tidying a room, I ask myself whether I should throw out the item instead of putting it away in a cupboard; and so on.
As for cutting your time spent behind a computer, I think you have to make a decision to move away from it - yes, physically - the instant you notice you are not working productively at it - whether you are 'just updating FB' or daydreaming at your desk. Physical torpor easily leads to mental torpor and breaking the cycle is good for you in lots of ways. Get up, move around - go and rake the yard, if you're at home - and when you sit down again you will be more focused.

:namaste:
Kim
Ytrog

Post by Ytrog »

Good one Kim. I'm trying to do that, but I find it difficult to break away from my computer (at this very moment even :toilet:).

My intentions with this thread is that people can share their experiences and tips about simplifying life and discuss their efforts. :anjali:
Suffering is asking from life what it can never give you.
mindfulness, bliss and beyond (page 8) wrote:Do not linger on the past. Do not keep carrying around coffins full of dead moments
If you see any unskillful speech (or other action) from me let me know, so I can learn from it.
Gazelle

Post by Gazelle »

I sold my car and bought a scooter.... :clap: