Strange Sensation while Meditating

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Dallas

Strange Sensation while Meditating

Postby Dallas » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:58 pm

Hi everyone. I have been meditating frequently for a few months now, and recently my meditation has hanged somehow, and I'm a bit confused. I've never had a formal teacher, so I have no one to go to for guidance right now.

Meditation generally consists of sitting in lotus position, and focusing my mind on my breath. Usually on the rising and falling of my abdomen, sometimes on my nostrils, and recently sometimes on the breathing like a river. With each breath I will follow the path of the breath in and out, and during the pause between breaths I will pay attention to my posture. For the past several days when I have done this for a length of time (probably around 30 min or more), my body begins to feel very strange. Most physical sensation ceases or becomes dulled, and it feels like a very long long way from my head to my legs, as if the space has stretched out in a way, although it's hard to describe. At this point, it becomes increasingly hard to focus on my breath, as I can barely sense it, if at all. I know I am still breathing when I open my eyes to see, but I can no longer focus on it as there is nothing my mind can register as a sense object.

During this time, feelings will begin to arise, such as fear and elation. I don't cling to them, but they are becoming distracting more and more as it becomes less and less sense objects for my mind to focus on.

I am unsure if this is normal to occur, and what I should do. I don't know if perhaps I need to find another meditation or if this is natural and I am just unaware of what to do next, so I come here to ask for your guidance.

Metta,
Dallas
Visit for helpful articles on meditation.

marc108

Re: Strange Sensation while Meditating

Postby marc108 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:20 pm

"It's easy for us to connect with what's wrong with us... and not so easy to feel into, or to allow us, to connect with what's right and what's good in us."

Dallas

Postby Dallas » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:11 pm

Many thanks for your reply. My education so far has been piecemeal, and I've focused more on meditating than on the reading bits, since it's all been very confusing with so many different traditions and teachings. The only book I've read so far is The Buddha and His Dhamma, by Dr. B. R. Ambedkar. Other than that it's been articles online.

Realizing now I need a little more than just diving in and sitting. I'm headed to Thailand to live in 2 days so those books will be absorbed during the long international flight. If you have any others to recommend, for when I finish those, feel free to list them. Thank you for your guidance :namaste:
Visit for helpful articles on meditation.

marc108

Postby marc108 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:27 pm

"It's easy for us to connect with what's wrong with us... and not so easy to feel into, or to allow us, to connect with what's right and what's good in us."

Return to “General Theravāda Meditation”