Ajahn Chah lineage?

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, bhikkhus, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice, devotion etc.
Cittasanto

Re: Ajahn Chah lineage?

Post by Cittasanto »

DAWN wrote:Can we say that Ajhan Mun plant the seed in Ajahn Chah ? If we can say that, so we can also say that he was his teacher.
Ajahn Chah was a Bhikkhu years before meeting Ajahn Mun, it would be fairer to say that Ajahn Chah recieved confirmation from Tahn Ajahn Mun about the way to go forward.
I believe Luang Por Chah met Disciples of Ajahn Mun first, but still this was some time after ordination and going off alone. he went to the monastery through his own choice very young, as he was fed up with life - although his sister says it was after a blow to the head.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
DAWN

Post by DAWN »

Cittasanto wrote:
DAWN wrote:Can we say that Ajhan Mun plant the seed in Ajahn Chah ? If we can say that, so we can also say that he was his teacher.
Ajahn Chah was a Bhikkhu years before meeting Ajahn Mun, it would be fairer to say that Ajahn Chah recieved confirmation from Tahn Ajahn Mun about the way to go forward.
I believe Luang Por Chah met Disciples of Ajahn Mun first, but still this was some time after ordination and going off alone. he went to the monastery through his own choice very young, as he was fed up with life - although his sister says it was after a blow to the head.
I'am sorry, i dont said very clearly
By telling about seed, i mean the seed of 7 years dutong practice, i think this period was determinating for Ajahn Chah's practice and comprehention of The Dhamma.
It's my supposition :roll:
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
I'am sorry for my english
bodom

Post by bodom »

daverupa wrote:It all requires the arising of a tathagata in the world, in our case the Buddha.

AN 5.88 is noteworthy in this connection, as there we can read that a popular monk with many followers - a celebrity monk, if you like - can still have wrong view.
Im not making the connection here Dave. Is this to suggest that you believe Ajahn Chah was of wrong view?

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
SamBodhi

Post by SamBodhi »

Stephen K,

It is my understanding that a god deal of Ajahn Chah's students are still around. And when I say "students" I mean those who are now teachers but learned from Ajahn Chah. I am wondering if it would be possible for you to just ask them what Venerable Ajahn Chah's view of "lineage" was and to find out who would be listed in what we might call a teaching lineage. I find it very likely that because these Archariyas were to be teaching and leading monastics, Ajahn Chah may have mentioned some pertinent information to them that is not found in books or other sources.

Or you might find that some don't think it's important and that Ajahn Chah's teaching legacy can be found in his books and in your own heart.

with metta,
SamBodhi
"An inward-staying
unentangled knowing,
All outward-going knowing
cast aside."
--Upasika Kee Nanayon
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

bodom wrote:
daverupa wrote:It all requires the arising of a tathagata in the world, in our case the Buddha.

AN 5.88 is noteworthy in this connection, as there we can read that a popular monk with many followers - a celebrity monk, if you like - can still have wrong view.
Im not making the connection here Dave. Is this to suggest that you believe Ajahn Chah was of wrong view?

Oh not at all; simply underlining this strange 'lineage' idea.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
bodom

Post by bodom »

daverupa wrote:
bodom wrote:

Oh not at all; simply underlining this strange 'lineage' idea.
Ahh got ya, thanks for clarifying.

Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

DAWN wrote:I'am sorry, i dont said very clearly
By telling about seed, i mean the seed of 7 years dutong practice, i think this period was determinating for Ajahn Chah's practice and comprehention of The Dhamma.
the answer still applies, he was on Tudong when he met Tahn Ajahn Mun.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

SamBodhi wrote:Stephen K

It is my understanding that a god deal of Ajahn Chah's students are still around. And when I say "students" I mean those who are now teachers but learned from Ajahn Chah. I am wondering if it would be possible for you to just ask them what Venerable Ajahn Chah's view of "lineage" was and to find out who would be listed in what we might call a teaching lineage. I find it very likely that because these Archariyas were to be teaching and leading monastics, Ajahn Chah may have mentioned some pertinent information to them that is not found in books or other sources.

Or you might find that some don't think it's important and that Ajahn Chah's teaching legacy can be found in his books and in your own heart.

with metta,
SamBodhi
Ajahn Chah Spent Three days with Ajahn Mun, but this had a tremendous effect.
Ajahn Chahs own words corroborate this from his teachings & biography.He also spent time with his disciples although he never (to my knowledge) mentions them or others in his teechings or biographical information.

John Stuart Mill
DAWN

Post by DAWN »

Cittasanto wrote:
DAWN wrote:I'am sorry, i dont said very clearly
the answer still applies, he was on Tudong when he met Tahn Ajahn Mun.
Ah ok! My supposition is wrong
Thanks !
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
I'am sorry for my english
Sutiro

Post by Sutiro »

Loom Por was one off. He was ordained in the Mahanikhaya sect and spent a few days with Ajahn Mun with whom he was asamvaso (out of communion). He was inspired by Ajahn Mun however and continued to practice in the forest tradition and actually reformed and regenerated the Mahanikhaya in the North East.

I spent five years with him, the last five years of his teaching life. He never taught again after 1982. Though he has now moved into mythology, all they say about his persona was true, the finest human being I've ever met. See http://www.fourwindslao.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;