Dhamma Wheel meetings

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Mike and Robert, Peninsular, Bangkok

Post by DNS »

yawares wrote: They should do Thai dance too..to complete the happy day. When I was with Tep at Engineering Conference in Hua-Hin(Beach Hotel), Thailand , not only great foods/desserts..Thai Classical Dance included...everybody enjoyed the show !
You're DhammaWheel :anjali: ...Why are you not there??
yawares[/color] :thinking:
Hi yawares,

Yes, I'd love to see Thailand one day. So far I have only been to India, Nepal, and the Middle East, in the continent of Asia.

No, I prefer just tea, discussion, and meditation, too geeky I guess. :ugeek:
Don't try to take me to a Disco
You'll never even get me out on the floor
In 10 minutes I'll be late for the door
I like that old time rock and roll
In my case, it might be more like 10 seconds I'll be late for the door.
yawares

Post by yawares »

David N. Snyder wrote:
yawares wrote: They should do Thai dance too..to complete the happy day. When I was with Tep at Engineering Conference in Hua-Hin(Beach Hotel), Thailand , not only great foods/desserts..Thai Classical Dance included...everybody enjoyed the show !
You're DhammaWheel :anjali: ...Why are you not there??
yawares[/color] :thinking:
Hi yawares,

Yes, I'd love to see Thailand one day. So far I have only been to India, Nepal, and the Middle East, in the continent of Asia.

No, I prefer just tea, discussion, and meditation, too geeky I guess. :ugeek:

Don't try to take me to a Disco
You'll never even get me out on the floor
In 10 minutes I'll be late for the door
I like that old time rock and roll

In my case, it might be more like 10 seconds I'll be late for the door.

Dear David,
Thai Classical Dance is NO DISCO...no need for you to be on the dance floor....just watch!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FI2x_ANn-p4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
yawares :heart: it ...cool!
Ben

Post by Ben »

Great photo!
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

yawares wrote: Thai Classical Dance is NO DISCO...no need for you to be on the dance floor....just watch!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FI2x_ANn-p4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
yawares :heart: it ...cool! [/color]
:thumbsup: Watching it, I can handle that.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
robertk wrote:Yes, it was a meeting of the mods. Two from dhammastudygroup and two from dhammawheel.
And very enjoyable and interesting. I could have stayed all day discussing more and more points of Dhamma .
The International Theravada Moderator Convention.

Awesome.

:clap:

Thanks for the pic share.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Still Searching

Re: Dhamma Wheel meetings

Post by Still Searching »

Lovely pictures, I'd love to meet some Monks or visit Thailand.

If there are any Buddhists around the 3 counties (Herts, Beds & Bucks) in the UK, I'd love to meet some of you :)

:namaste:
"Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment." ~ Siddhārtha, Gautama Buddha
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Still Searching wrote:Lovely pictures, I'd love to meet some Monks or visit Thailand.

If there are any Buddhists around the 3 counties (Herts, Beds & Bucks) in the UK, I'd love to meet some of you :)

Try Amaravati Buddhist Monastery just outside Hemel Hempstead.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Still Searching

Post by Still Searching »

Cittasanto wrote:
Still Searching wrote:Lovely pictures, I'd love to meet some Monks or visit Thailand.

Try Amaravati Buddhist Monastery just outside Hemel Hempstead.
Thank you Cittasanto :smile:
"Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment." ~ Siddhārtha, Gautama Buddha
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Copied over from another thread since it includes DW members together:
saigon.jpg
saigon.jpg (112.29 KiB) Viewed 28113 times
RobertK wrote:Hi David
Do you like my new hairstyle? I thought you looked good in the stair-climbing race so copied you (well you and another 10,000 men).

Yes there are friends in that room who flew in from Sri lanka, Australia, USA, and Hong kong as well as Vietnamese ( and Nina from Holland and me from the Middle east). Dhammafollower on this thread is in the photo too, sitting on floor. During the day Sujin would talk to a large group of Vietnamese monks and nuns and laypeople in a hall.

It's all great fun and all of the people there are pretty seasoned travelers, especially the Europeans. But then it's so easy these days to get on plane and arrive the next day in a new country.
Ivan, a Dhamma friend who died a couple of years ago in bangkok, told me when he first came to Thailand, circa 1971, he took a boat to Indonesia and island hopped all the way to Singapore before spending days in a train to get to Thailand (must have being worth it as he lived there for the rest of his life).

Let us know if you are planning to be in the east anytime and there is a good chance of meeting in one of the Asian countries-
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Yes, great hair style!

Mother nature produced a few good looking men; the rest have hair.

If I ever head to middle east or Asia again, I'll be sure to check with you where you are located.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Ven Dhammanando and I posing at Wat Mae Phaeng (North-east of Chiang Mai) earlier in the month.
The Abbot wanted some pictures of meditating farang... :smile:
017_20160118_092003_small.jpg
017_20160118_092003_small.jpg (68.29 KiB) Viewed 28058 times
It was great to finally meet Dhammanando Bhikkhu (after nine years of on-line conversation) and fantastic to be able to spend a week at the Wat. It's quite quiet there by Thai standards. Of course there are dogs, chickens, water pumps, and insect noise, but not too much loud music... :smile:

At the end of the week I did a day trip up the mountains to Ban Khun Pang to see Phalañānī Bhikkhuni. I don't get to meet many Bhikkhunis, so that was really special. https://phalanyani.wordpress.com/
Ven Dhammanando has been based at Ban Khun Pang for several years, and only came down to Mae Phaeng in early January.

:anjali:
MIke
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

:twothumbsup: Great photo!
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

mikenz66 wrote:
017_20160118_092003_small.jpg
Are you actually awake in that photo, Mike? :tongue:
Buddha save me from new-agers!
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Sure, we were only sitting there for a minute while the deputy abbot took the pictures... :meditate:

:anjali:
Mike
Thisperson

Post by Thisperson »

Cool pic Mike.
:twothumbsup: