Ajahn Chah lineage?

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, bhikkhus, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice etc.

Re: Ajahn Chah lineage?

Postby bodom » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:44 am

daverupa wrote:
bodom wrote:
daverupa wrote:It all requires the arising of a tathagata in the world, in our case the Buddha.

AN 5.88 is noteworthy in this connection, as there we can read that a popular monk with many followers - a celebrity monk, if you like - can still have wrong view.

Im not making the connection here Dave. Is this to suggest that you believe Ajahn Chah was of wrong view?

:anjali:

Oh not at all; simply underlining this strange 'lineage' idea.

Ahh got ya, thanks for clarifying.

:anjali:
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Postby Cittasanto » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:35 am

DAWN wrote:I'am sorry, i dont said very clearly
By telling about seed, i mean the seed of 7 years dutong practice, i think this period was determinating for Ajahn Chah's practice and comprehention of The Dhamma.
It's my supposition :roll:

the answer still applies, he was on Tudong when he met Tahn Ajahn Mun.
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:43 am

SamBodhi wrote:Stephen K

It is my understanding that a god deal of Ajahn Chah's students are still around. And when I say "students" I mean those who are now teachers but learned from Ajahn Chah. I am wondering if it would be possible for you to just ask them what Venerable Ajahn Chah's view of "lineage" was and to find out who would be listed in what we might call a teaching lineage. I find it very likely that because these Archariyas were to be teaching and leading monastics, Ajahn Chah may have mentioned some pertinent information to them that is not found in books or other sources.

Or you might find that some don't think it's important and that Ajahn Chah's teaching legacy can be found in his books and in your own heart.

with metta,
SamBodhi

Ajahn Chah Spent Three days with Ajahn Mun, but this had a tremendous effect.
Ajahn Chahs own words corroborate this from his teachings & biography.He also spent time with his disciples although he never (to my knowledge) mentions them or others in his teechings or biographical information.
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby DAWN » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:44 pm

Cittasanto wrote:
DAWN wrote:I'am sorry, i dont said very clearly
By telling about seed, i mean the seed of 7 years dutong practice, i think this period was determinating for Ajahn Chah's practice and comprehention of The Dhamma.
It's my supposition :roll:

the answer still applies, he was on Tudong when he met Tahn Ajahn Mun.

Ah ok! My supposition is wrong
Thanks !
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
I'am sorry for my english
DAWN

Postby Sutiro » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:06 am

Loom Por was one off. He was ordained in the Mahanikhaya sect and spent a few days with Ajahn Mun with whom he was asamvaso (out of communion). He was inspired by Ajahn Mun however and continued to practice in the forest tradition and actually reformed and regenerated the Mahanikhaya in the North East.

I spent five years with him, the last five years of his teaching life. He never taught again after 1982. Though he has now moved into mythology, all they say about his persona was true, the finest human being I've ever met. See www.fourwindslao.com
Sutiro

Previous

Return to Shrine Room