the great rebirth debate

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
polarbear101

Re: the great rebirth debate

Postby polarbear101 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:32 am

The Right View of Reincarnation

Continuation is happening now, because every day you continue to produce thoughts, words, and actions that carry your signature. We don’t have to wait until this body decomposes to continue.

Most people think of reincarnation in terms of a permanent soul. This is popular Buddhism. But we have to rise to the level of right view. Continuation is a necessity, it is a truth. But this continuation must be seen in the light of non-self, of impermanence.

If, for example, you want to recognize my continuation, do not look in this direction. [Thay points to himself.] There is a part of my continuation in this direction, but when you look all around you, you will see other forms of the continuation. So don’t wait for the body to decompose. We’ve already begun our continuation. You know that you have the power to change. You can ensure a beautiful continuation. Let’s suppose that yesterday you produced a thought that was not worthy of you, and today you’re sorry. You think, “I don’t want to be continued in that way.” You can correct it, you can transform that continuation.

If you have touched right view, you will be able to produce a different thought, a thought that is worthy of you today, a thought that carries within it understanding, compassion, and non-discrimination. The moment you produce this wonderful thought, it will go out and catch the other thought that you produced yesterday. And in the space of half a second it will be able to transform that thought.

So you have the chance to correct the past; this is wonderful. We say that the past is already gone, but the past is always returning with its new manifestations, and with those manifestations we can correct it.

If you have said something that’s not worthy of you, say something else today, and that will transform everything. Do something different today based on right view and transform the whole situation. That is possible.

If you have a Sangha that supports you, if you are supported by the collective right view, then it’s very easy to produce such thoughts, such words, such actions, to transform everything right now, today, to ensure a good future, a good continuation.

The teaching of the Buddha is very deep, and at the same time very practical. This teaching has the capacity to heal us, to transform our pain, our fear. It’s good to have enough time to learn more about these teachings and put them into practice in our daily life.

Thich Nhat Hanh

http://www.mindfulnessbell.org/articles/karma4.php

I found this interesting, what do you guys think
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."

nowheat

Postby nowheat » Mon May 21, 2012 9:47 pm

DAWN

Postby DAWN » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:46 am

It's interaction who rebirth, but not one dhamma
It's not one atta who rebirth, but just some kamma

If we take 'E=mc²', and discribe that interaction like 'Energy is a mass multiply on squared light speed' is be a rebirth of one interaction, rebirth of one kammа. For example if I have one interaction similar with an ant interaction, my kamma will rebirth like an ant.

No interaction, no kamma, no rebirth of kamma

A lotus flower dont interact with water who slides down.
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...

rowyourboat

Postby rowyourboat » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:50 pm

With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha

Ron-The-Elder

Postby Ron-The-Elder » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:43 pm

What Makes an Elder? :
A head of gray hairs doesn't mean one's an elder. Advanced in years, one's called an old fool.
But one in whom there is truth, restraint, rectitude, gentleness,self-control, he's called an elder, his impurities disgorged, enlightened.
-Dhammpada, 19, translated by Thanissaro Bhikkhu.

mile83

Postby mile83 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:10 pm

Hello all, I like this thread, I've found many answers to my question, please don't stone me but I'm very indifferent to the question if there is rebirth or not, but I tend more towards non-believing it.

With great interest I've read the postings of stuka and clw_uk, do they still post here??

I have a question regarding the difference between right view with taints and right view without taints

Is right view with taints basically believe in 4NT and rebirth/reincarnation (so it's tainted with speculative views??)

and right view without taints is transcendent only the 4NTs, so beyond questions of rebirth etc.

I'm referring to the posts by stuka and clw_uk, and maybe others, I didn't have the chance yet to read the whole thread!

Hope you can help thank you =)

Alex123

Postby Alex123 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:21 pm

"Life is a struggle. Life will throw curveballs at you, it will humble you, it will attempt to break you down. And just when you think things are starting to look up, life will smack you back down with ruthless indifference..."

Aloka

Postby Aloka » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:17 pm

Ron-The-Elder

Postby Ron-The-Elder » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:38 pm

What Makes an Elder? :
A head of gray hairs doesn't mean one's an elder. Advanced in years, one's called an old fool.
But one in whom there is truth, restraint, rectitude, gentleness,self-control, he's called an elder, his impurities disgorged, enlightened.
-Dhammpada, 19, translated by Thanissaro Bhikkhu.

daverupa

Postby daverupa » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:53 pm

Alex123

Postby Alex123 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:16 pm

"Life is a struggle. Life will throw curveballs at you, it will humble you, it will attempt to break you down. And just when you think things are starting to look up, life will smack you back down with ruthless indifference..."

Aloka

Postby Aloka » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:20 pm

Alex123

Postby Alex123 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:27 pm

Aloka

Postby Aloka » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:42 pm

Last edited by Aloka on Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Alex123

Postby Alex123 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:20 pm

Last edited by Alex123 on Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.

equilibrium

Postby equilibrium » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:00 pm

darvki

Postby darvki » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:14 am

Alex123

Postby Alex123 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:34 pm

Mal

Postby Mal » Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:56 pm

darvki

Postby darvki » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:44 am

Return to “General Theravāda discussion”