freestyle rapping

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
befriend

freestyle rapping

Post by befriend »

i very much enjoy freestyle rapping by myself or with others. without music. its pretty much like recreational talking, socializing with your friends. i guess it would be ok if i did it, but not a lot. thoughts? i really dont see much harm in it, its seems to be on the same morality scale as talking for fun. the thing is i REALLY enjoy it so that could be a setback.
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
perkele

Re: freestyle rapping

Post by perkele »

Why not?
the thing is i REALLY enjoy it so that could be a setback.
How is enjoying it a setback?
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

befriend wrote:i very much enjoy freestyle rapping by myself or with others. without music. its pretty much like recreational talking, socializing with your friends. i guess it would be ok if i did it, but not a lot. thoughts? i really dont see much harm in it, its seems to be on the same morality scale as talking for fun. the thing is i REALLY enjoy it so that could be a setback.
Hi befriend,

I'm not sure why that would be a problem for a lay practitioner if its not causing harm to anyone. There are plenty of Buddhists who engage in all kinds of recreational hobbies and social activities which they enjoy.

with kind wishes

Aloka
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

perkele wrote:Why not?
You did not know that Buddhists cannot have fun of any sort other than jhana?
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Ytrog

Post by Ytrog »

tiltbillings wrote:
:rofl:

Having fun already ;)
Suffering is asking from life what it can never give you.
mindfulness, bliss and beyond (page 8) wrote:Do not linger on the past. Do not keep carrying around coffins full of dead moments
If you see any unskillful speech (or other action) from me let me know, so I can learn from it.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

tiltbillings wrote:
But what fun, though! Defining jhana, arguing about it, declaring how to attain it, finding examples and accounts of it in the Suttas, taking sides over it, and dismissing other people's attempts to do all the above.

Freestyle rapping is positively staid in comparison.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Sam Vega wrote:
But what fun, though! Defining jhana, arguing about it, declaring how to attain it, finding examples and accounts of it in the Suttas, taking sides over it, and dismissing other people's attempts to do all the above.

Freestyle rapping is positively staid in comparison.
As much as I find rap unpleasant and remarkably annoying, I suppose one could do a jhana rap covering all those things, but doing jhana probably would be far better.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
santa100

Post by santa100 »

Depends on the contents of the rap song. Some song uses that "f" word in about every 2 or 3 sentences and I guess that could be a setback.. :tongue: How about writing rap songs about the 4NT, 8NP, 12DO, Brahmaviharas, etc..? You'd develop both your creativity and your Path that way..
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

tiltbillings wrote:....As much as I find rap unpleasant and remarkably annoying, ....
My teenage school pupils successfully converted me into liking some hip-hop and rap. I don't actually listen to it independently though. I don't listen to any kind of music because I'm content with silence .