freestyle rapping

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

freestyle rapping

Postby befriend » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:48 pm

i very much enjoy freestyle rapping by myself or with others. without music. its pretty much like recreational talking, socializing with your friends. i guess it would be ok if i did it, but not a lot. thoughts? i really dont see much harm in it, its seems to be on the same morality scale as talking for fun. the thing is i REALLY enjoy it so that could be a setback.
befriend
 
Posts: 799
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:39 am

Re: freestyle rapping

Postby perkele » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:13 pm

Why not?
the thing is i REALLY enjoy it so that could be a setback.

How is enjoying it a setback?
perkele
 
Posts: 345
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:37 pm

Re: freestyle rapping

Postby Aloka » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:16 pm

befriend wrote:i very much enjoy freestyle rapping by myself or with others. without music. its pretty much like recreational talking, socializing with your friends. i guess it would be ok if i did it, but not a lot. thoughts? i really dont see much harm in it, its seems to be on the same morality scale as talking for fun. the thing is i REALLY enjoy it so that could be a setback.


Hi befriend,

I'm not sure why that would be a problem for a lay practitioner if its not causing harm to anyone. There are plenty of Buddhists who engage in all kinds of recreational hobbies and social activities which they enjoy.

with kind wishes

Aloka
User avatar
Aloka
 
Posts: 3720
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:51 pm

Re: freestyle rapping

Postby tiltbillings » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:12 pm

perkele wrote:Why not?
the thing is i REALLY enjoy it so that could be a setback.

How is enjoying it a setback?
You did not know that Buddhists cannot have fun of any sort other than jhana?
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond.
SN I, 38.

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.

"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts." -- Jack Johnson
User avatar
tiltbillings
 
Posts: 19763
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:25 am

Re: freestyle rapping

Postby Ytrog » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:40 pm

tiltbillings wrote:
perkele wrote:Why not?
the thing is i REALLY enjoy it so that could be a setback.

How is enjoying it a setback?
You did not know that Buddhists cannot have fun of any sort other than jhana?

:rofl:

Having fun already ;)
Suffering is asking from life what it can never give you.


mindfulness, bliss and beyond (page 8) wrote:Do not linger on the past. Do not keep carrying around coffins full of dead moments


If you see any unskillful speech (or other action) from me let me know, so I can learn from it.
User avatar
Ytrog
 
Posts: 693
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:50 pm
Location: The Netherlands, near Arnhem

Re: freestyle rapping

Postby Sam Vara » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:42 pm

tiltbillings wrote:
perkele wrote:Why not?
the thing is i REALLY enjoy it so that could be a setback.

How is enjoying it a setback?
You did not know that Buddhists cannot have fun of any sort other than jhana?


But what fun, though! Defining jhana, arguing about it, declaring how to attain it, finding examples and accounts of it in the Suttas, taking sides over it, and dismissing other people's attempts to do all the above.

Freestyle rapping is positively staid in comparison.
User avatar
Sam Vara
 
Posts: 1045
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:42 pm

Re: freestyle rapping

Postby tiltbillings » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:17 pm

Sam Vega wrote:
But what fun, though! Defining jhana, arguing about it, declaring how to attain it, finding examples and accounts of it in the Suttas, taking sides over it, and dismissing other people's attempts to do all the above.

Freestyle rapping is positively staid in comparison.
As much as I find rap unpleasant and remarkably annoying, I suppose one could do a jhana rap covering all those things, but doing jhana probably would be far better.
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond.
SN I, 38.

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.

"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts." -- Jack Johnson
User avatar
tiltbillings
 
Posts: 19763
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:25 am

Re: freestyle rapping

Postby santa100 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:30 pm

Depends on the contents of the rap song. Some song uses that "f" word in about every 2 or 3 sentences and I guess that could be a setback.. :tongue: How about writing rap songs about the 4NT, 8NP, 12DO, Brahmaviharas, etc..? You'd develop both your creativity and your Path that way..
santa100
 
Posts: 1557
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:55 pm

Re: freestyle rapping

Postby Aloka » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:41 pm

tiltbillings wrote:....As much as I find rap unpleasant and remarkably annoying, ....


My teenage school pupils successfully converted me into liking some hip-hop and rap. I don't actually listen to it independently though. I don't listen to any kind of music because I'm content with silence .
User avatar
Aloka
 
Posts: 3720
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:51 pm


Return to General Theravāda discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dan74 and 11 guests