Monasteries and Sleep

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
Christopherxx

Monasteries and Sleep

Post by Christopherxx »

Hey guys,

So what is up with the lack of sleep in the Theravada context.

I know many individuals leave many western standpoints behind when embracing buddhism - however I think we can all agree that 4-5 hours of sleep a night on a day to day basis is not recommended for health.

I'd love for people that have experienced the forest monasteries either in the chah lineage, mahasi, or Dhammayutika Nikaya, etc to chim in.

And hate to say it but it's okay to think this custom should be changed. We don't have to think every tradition is inspired just the teachings ;).
daverupa

Re: Monasteries and Sleep

Post by daverupa »

Well, it's useful to consider general activity levels for monks (walking up and down, sitting) as well as their lower caloric intake. This, plus a quiet mind, contribute to a lesser sleep need, in my experience.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
Christopherxx

Post by Christopherxx »

I would definitely agree that maybe the 8-9 hours as recommended by western agencies and hospitals may not be needed but 4-5? That's a pretty drastic reduction.

And as you noted there is quite a lot of walking involved in the lifestyle along with chores, etc.

Just my two cents let's give those monks more sleep ;)
Ben

Post by Ben »

My experience on many silent retreats is that one requires much less sleep.
And if it were a problem, I am sure it would have been addressed and resolved at some point in the past 2,600 years.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
bodom

Post by bodom »

Questions & Answers with Ajahn Chah:

Question: What about sleep? How much should I sleep?

Answer: Don't ask me, I can't tell you. A good average for some is four hours a night. What is important, though, is that you watch and know yourself. If you try to go with too little sleep, the body will feel uncomfortable and mindfulness will be difficult to sustain. Too much sleep leads to a dull or a restless mind. Find the natural balance for yourself. Carefully watch the mind and body and keep track of sleep needs until you find the optimum. If you wake up and then roll over for a snooze, this is defilement. Establish mindfulness as soon as your eyes open.
http://www.buddhanet.net/bodhiny2.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is no hard and fast rule. Its up to each individual to see for themselves how much sleep is needed.

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

You do need much less sleep if you are doing intensive meditation throughout the day. Most centres I've been in usually allow for 6 hours per night plus a nap after lunch, some push for 4 hours when you've been there a long time. I often find on retreat that though my body needs to rest at night my mind does not.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
Christopherxx

Post by Christopherxx »

it's good to hear.

i kind of felt that the tradition may be submitting the monks to a unhealthy lifestyle simply out of tradition requirements.

not so ascetic as to be seen as obscene but possibly harmful to their health and well-being. it seems this assumption may have been mistaken though.

could it be intresting though if the monks where allowed to find their own balance as bodom stated? this may be a route the traditions should investigate in the future.

:) with kind regards to all the great posters in this thread.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Meditation centres are typically stricter than many monasteries because they run to defined schedules.

The only Vinaya requirement for a bhikkhu that I'm aware of is that he's up before sunrise.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

I imagine that there are very few who take 4-5 hours sleep as an ongoing behavior. I would imagine 6 to 8 is a more accurate average.
DAWN

Post by DAWN »

Napoleon said that a men sleeps 4 hours, a women for 5 hours, a leezy man for 6 hours :smile:

Peronaly I sleep 5 hours every day, from 10 PM to 3 AM, with one hour of lying meditation from 9PM to 10AM.

I see that:
- when you meditate before sleeping, you sleep less and better
- hours before midnight are more efficient that after midnight
- if when you go sleeping, you think not about "that is cool to sleep a little bit afret a day of work", but about "that its cool to rises tomorow", the body will sleep less, and better, and will stop sleeping when it's ok. Sometimes I sleep for 2 or 3 hours and i fill my mind clear and body full of energy
- when you eat less you sleep less and better

Anyway, our mind need to rest when he is tired from interaction with dhammas, when he suffering during the day. When some one walks on ditry slushy ground, it's brings fatigue, but if he is slipes on ice, he is less tired for the same distance. So to sleeps less we have to slide on the dhammas, not apropriate it; slide on waves but not sweeming agains it.
When our mind is here and now, complitely awere about the think that he do now, there is no suffering, the mind is peacefull, no fatigue, so dont need to sleep alot.
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
I'am sorry for my english
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

When the Mahāsi Sayādaw started teaching meditation the schedule allowed for four hours sleep — from 11 pm to 3 am.

That was relaxed for foreign meditators to allow for six hours — clearly six hours is enough for health if you're not sick, very elderly, or doing hard physical labour.

In my experience in Burma when I was about thirty years of age, after months of intensive practice I could get by on five or even four hours, though I was never comfortable on less than five. Those meditators who attain the higher stages of insight, 2-3 hours of sleep is not unusual. My meditation instructor said that he went for 12 days without any sleep at all.

For an ordinary meditator, to sit completely still for four hours without a break in the 104°F heat and 100% humidity of Burma, would be impossible, but there are many such examples of sitting that long or even longer without any outward sign of fatigue. See, for example, the Biography of Daw Hla Myint

The Buddha's routine allowed for just 1 hour of sleep from 2-3 am. He also lay down sometimes during the day to rest his body.

Forget what western doctors say on this — they do not practise meditation throughout the entire day without a break. The lazy person is incapable of gaining even the lowest stages of insight, let alone the higher stages of insight or the Noble Path.

In the Thai Forest tradition, one can find similar examples. It is customary for the monks to practise the whole night without lying down to sleep on the full-moon and new-moon days. The normal routine would not allow for more than six hours sleep, (about 10:30 pm to 3:30 am plus an optional nap in the afternoon). The forest monks also do a lot of heavy manual work, cutting logs, etc.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
marc108

Post by marc108 »

you dont need as much sleep when you have deep Samadhi, the Samadhi is refreshing like sleep sometimes even more than sleep.
"It's easy for us to connect with what's wrong with us... and not so easy to feel into, or to allow us, to connect with what's right and what's good in us."
Christopherxx

Post by Christopherxx »

Great posts guys

And I agree in a respect.

But I think we have to avoid mythologizing.

metta to everyone for their comments on this board :)
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Christopherxx wrote:Hey guys,

So what is up with the lack of sleep in the Theravada context.

I know many individuals leave many western standpoints behind when embracing buddhism - however I think we can all agree that 4-5 hours of sleep a night on a day to day basis is not recommended for health.

I'd love for people that have experienced the forest monasteries either in the chah lineage, mahasi, or Dhammayutika Nikaya, etc to chim in.

And hate to say it but it's okay to think this custom should be changed. We don't have to think every tradition is inspired just the teachings ;).
there is no hard and fast fixed number of hours a person needs, each individual is individual here, and other factors would alter the need, such as, amount of physical/mental work, nutritional intake, and much more.
I need about six hours, then I wake up, a friend of mine needs 4hrs then wakes up naturally, these are our individual basal sleep needs.
while on retreat once or twice my sleep needs decreased an hour a day from about half way through until I was having 3hrs sleep on the last night!
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,

Meditation centres are typically stricter than many monasteries because they run to defined schedules.

The only Vinaya requirement for a bhikkhu that I'm aware of is that he's up before sunrise.

Metta,
Retro. :)
I am not familiar with that one, do you know where it is?
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill