Super Famous Buddhists

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
yawares

Re: Super Famous Buddhists

Post by yawares »

pilgrim wrote:You could also add:
Jake Gyllenhaal
Teresa Teng
Leonardo DiCaprio ( sort of)

Dear Pilgrim,
I like Leonardo DiCaprio in Titanic/Blood Diamonds/The Man in The Iron Mask :thumbsup:
Is he really a Buddhist??
yawares

Post by yawares »

Ben wrote:
yawares wrote: I wish Tom Cruise/Paul Walker/Chris Evan were Buddhists too...because they are so cool! :tongue:
No, I think Tom Cruise and Scientology were made for each other.
kind regards,

Ben

Dear Ben,
Yes..Tom and Travolta are so into Scientology!!!
yawares

Post by yawares »

tiltbillings wrote:I'd vote for Christopher Walken

Dear "tiltbillings",
Then YOU prabably know that 1 of his best movies : THE DEAD ZONE !! :thumbsup:

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/i ... t&y=Search" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

yawares
Last edited by yawares on Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ben

Post by Ben »

yawares wrote:Yes..Tom and Travolta are so into Scientology!!![/color]
They are indeed, Yawares!
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
yawares

Post by yawares »

tiltbillings wrote:
Ben wrote:As a Buddhist or a new buddy for Cruise and the Thetan Army?
Forget Tom Cruise, though I thought he was quite good in THE WAR OF THE WORLDS. Christopher Walken as a Buddhist, along with the late great Dennis Hopper.

My mom took me to see his first movie GIANT with Rock Hudson/Liz Taylor/James Dean.

And of course Christopher Lee, who will always be Lord Summerisle to me:
My sister took me to see his movie: DRACULA

And, of course, Bill Murray, who has already got a set of robes:
Was he in : GHOST BUSTERS??

yawares
Ben

Post by Ben »

Yes, he was in Ghost Busters, Yawares.
I thought he was better in Groundhog Day.
And it was a much more interesting movie (Imho).
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
yawares

Post by yawares »

Ben wrote:I was quite surprised by his performance in War of the Worlds. It was actually very good and his character had some real depth.
Dennis Hopper - he would have been great. I just remember him in Apocalypse Now! I think he was just channeling himself in that scene where Martin Sheen was in the cage.
I'd vote for Willem Defoe.
I love SPEED 2 with Jason/Sandra Bullock/Defoe :thumbsup:

Dear Ben,
I definitely LOVE : WAR OF THE WORLD :thumbsup:
yawares

Post by yawares »

tiltbillings wrote:
Ben wrote:I was quite surprised by his performance in War of the Worlds. It was actually very good and his character had some real depth.
Dennis Hopper - he would have been great. I just remember him in Apocalypse Now! I think he was just channeling himself in that scene where Martin Sheen was in the cage.
I'd vote for Willem Defoe.
Defoe, good choice:

yawares: I like him in CLEAR & PRESENT DANGER Harrison Ford/Defoe :thumbsup:

And one of my all time favorites:
yawares: JURASSIC PARK/THE LOST WORLD ...Goldblum :thumbsup:
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Then Talaputa, the head of an acting troupe, went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, having bowed down to him, sat to one side. As he was sitting there he said to the Blessed One: "Lord, I have heard that it has been passed down by the ancient teaching lineage of actors that 'When an actor on the stage, in the midst of a festival, makes people laugh & gives them delight with his imitation of reality, then with the breakup of the body, after death, he is reborn in the company of the laughing devas.' What does the Blessed One have to say about that?"

"Enough, headman, put that aside. Don't ask me that."

A second time... A third time Talaputa, the head of an acting troupe, said: "Lord, I have heard that it has been passed down by the ancient teaching lineage of actors that 'When an actor on the stage, in the midst of a festival, makes people laugh & gives them delight with his imitation of reality, then with the breakup of the body, after death, he is reborn in the company of the laughing devas.' What does the Blessed One have to say about that?"

"Apparently, headman, I haven't been able to get past you by saying, 'Enough, headman, put that aside. Don't ask me that.' So I will simply answer you. Any beings who are not devoid of passion to begin with, who are bound by the bond of passion, focus with even more passion on things inspiring passion presented by an actor on stage in the midst of a festival. Any beings who are not devoid of aversion to begin with, who are bound by the bond of aversion, focus with even more aversion on things inspiring aversion presented by an actor on stage in the midst of a festival. Any beings who are not devoid of delusion to begin with, who are bound by the bond of delusion, focus with even more delusion on things inspiring delusion presented by an actor on stage in the midst of a festival. Thus the actor — himself intoxicated & heedless, having made others intoxicated & heedless — with the breakup of the body, after death, is reborn in what is called the hell of laughter. But if he holds such a view as this: 'When an actor on the stage, in the midst of a festival, makes people laugh & gives them delight with his imitation of reality, then with the breakup of the body, after death, he is reborn in the company of the laughing devas,' that is his wrong view. Now, there are two destinations for a person with wrong view, I tell you: either hell or the animal womb."

When this was said, Talaputa, the head of an acting troupe, sobbed & burst into tears. [The Blessed One said:] "That is what I couldn't get past you by saying, 'Enough, headman, put that aside. Don't ask me that.'"

"I'm not crying, lord, because of what the Blessed One said to me, but simply because I have been deceived, cheated, & fooled for a long time by that ancient teaching lineage of actors who said: 'When an actor on the stage, in the midst of a festival, makes people laugh & gives them delight with his imitation of reality, then with the breakup of the body, after death, he is reborn in the company of the laughing devas.'

— SN 42.2
yawares

Post by yawares »

tiltbillings wrote:And:
yawares: sigourney-weaver?? ALIENS???

yawares: I don't know her at all.

yawares: AVENGERS ??
yawares

Post by yawares »

[quote="Sam Vara"][quote]

Dear Sam Vara,
PLEASE LET ME POST YOUR STORY @ Dhammic stories tomorrow....love love it!! :anjali:
yawares
Gazelle

Post by Gazelle »

Why do you think all these people are 'Buddhists'?
Gazelle

Post by Gazelle »

Why do you think all these people are 'Buddhists'?
plwk

Post by plwk »

Here's another one: the famed 'Buddhist Cat' of South Korea...
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Gazelle wrote:Why do you think all these people are 'Buddhists'?
The people I list are not, as far as I know, but they should be in my opinion.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723