Hello from India !

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
ananyaa

Hello from India !

Post by ananyaa »

Hello everyone!
Chanced upon this forum while looking for academic courses in Buddhism. I live in Mumbai, India and have learnt Vipassana meditation under Shri. S N Goenka. I am an on-and-off meditator and currently looking to further my understanding by enrolling myself for a study course. Have chanced upon a few in US universities, but currently finding self overwhelmed with all the information coming my way on their webpages! I am open minded with regards to the country and domain of Buddhism I could study. Any help you could do in this regard is most welcome! Will be more than happy to help anyone here with regards to anything that could be be my current strength.
Much Metta,
Aparna :reading:
Ben

Re: Hello from India !

Post by Ben »

Namaste Ananyaa!

I have very fond memories of Mumbai when I went to Goenkaji's main centre, Dhammagiri at Igatpuri, in 1989. I hope to return one day but not sure when.
I look forward to your contributions.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
ananyaa

Post by ananyaa »

Hi Ben!
So nice to meet a fellow Vipassi here as the first acquaintance. I hope your India trip fructifies soon. Goenkaji's old age does not permit him to teach many courses anymore, but his recordings and the battery of teachers he trained seem to be doing a good job!
Warmly,
Ananyaa
Ben

Post by Ben »

ananyaa wrote:Hi Ben!
So nice to meet a fellow Vipassi here as the first acquaintance. I hope your India trip fructifies soon. Goenkaji's old age does not permit him to teach many courses anymore, but his recordings and the battery of teachers he trained seem to be doing a good job!
Warmly,
Ananyaa
They do indeed. If I am not mistaken I believe Goenkaji has all but retired. His doctor has told him he can no longer travel and the only courses that he teaches these days are one day courses at the Global Pagoda. I was fortunate enough to sit with him on the Teacher's Self Course back in 1989 and then sat and served with him at Dhammagiri for nearly three months. It was an incredible experience.
As for my next trip to India - I think maybe not now until my children have finished school.
with metta,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

pilgrim

Post by pilgrim »

Warmly,
Ananyaa
Hello Ananyaa, welcome to Dhamma Wheel.
But Vipassi? It seems that Goenka's followers in their earnestness not to be counted as a Buddhist will soon form a new sect. :thinking:
ananyaa

Post by ananyaa »

pilgrim wrote:
Warmly,
Ananyaa
Hello Ananyaa, welcome to Dhamma Wheel.
But Vipassi? It seems that Goenka's followers in their earnestness not to be counted as a Buddhist will soon form a new sect. :thinking:
Oh no no. Sorry in case it seemed like that. All Vipassana meditators call themselves Vipassi. Goenkaji himself may not like in case Vipassana by him becomes that. I must at the same time say that the Mumbai chapter seems to be growing and now there are all sorts of people there; and at one point in time when they gave me 'prasaad' (like in any hindu temple), at the end of a group sit, I was very taken aback :(

Ben,
You are right, Goenkaji mostly comes to give Metta at the end of a one-day course. And also ofcourse, there is the self course by teacher. At times he also meets meditators around Deepawali (and Indian festival) time. I am but a baby on the path for now, so a long way for me still before I sat a teacher's self course!
Ben

Post by Ben »

ananyaa wrote:so a long way for me still before I sat a teacher's self course!
You will get there Ananyaa. But remember that progress on the path isn't so much a result of how many retreats or what type of retreats you do during your life, but walking the path every day throughout your life.
:anjali:

Ben

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

ananyaa

Post by ananyaa »

Ben wrote:
ananyaa wrote:so a long way for me still before I sat a teacher's self course!
You will get there Ananyaa. But remember that progress on the path isn't so much a result of how many retreats or what type of retreats you do during your life, but walking the path every day throughout your life.

Ben
Very True! By the way, I have been immensely enjoying the discourses of Ajahn Brahm in recent months! He is so extraordinarily witty and it is sheer joy to listen to him. You are fortunate to be living in Australia, perhaps you could go listen to him live too!
Ben

Post by Ben »

Ajahn Brahm lives a very long way from me, Ananyaa!
However, I have heard him on the radio a few times.
You may wish to check out some of his books.
kind regards,

Ben

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

:hello:

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel!

:buddha1:
bodom

Post by bodom »

Welcome Ananyaa!

Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Khalil Bodhi

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

Welcome Ananyaa! :anjali:
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

The Stoic Buddhist: https://www.quora.com/q/dwxmcndlgmobmeu ... pOR2p0uAdH
My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com
ananyaa

Post by ananyaa »

Thanks David, bodom, Khahlil ! :group: