David's List VS Schindler's List

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
yawares

David's List VS Schindler's List

Post by yawares »

Dear Members,

I would like to thank David for giving me the complete List of Celebrity Buddhists and I think I should add SCHINDLER'S LIST,1 of my most favorite movies of all time :

Schindler's List : Starring Liam neeson :thumbsup:

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/i ... r%27s+list" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Schindler's List is a 1993 film about Oskar Schindler, a German businessman who saved the lives of more than a thousand mostly Polish-Jewish refugees during the Holocaust by employing them in his factories. :anjali: The film was directed by Steven Spielberg, and based on the novel Schindler's Ark by Australian novelist Thomas Keneally. It stars Liam Neeson as Schindler, Ralph Fiennes as Schutzstaffel (SS)-officer Amon Göth, and Ben Kingsley as Schindler's Jewish accountant Itzhak Stern. :thumbsup:

The film was a box office success and recipient of seven Academy Awards, including Best Picture, Best Director, and Best Original Score, as well as numerous other awards (7 BAFTAs, 3 Golden Globes). In 2007, the American Film Institute ranked the film 8th on its list of the 100 best American films of all time (up one position from its 9th place listing on the 1998 list).
----------
David's List of Celebrity Buddhists

Celebrity Buddhists, such as those in television, film, the arts, CEOs, music, and sports. Also included are politicians from non-Buddhist lands (otherwise the list would be too long if it included all politicians from Buddhist lands too or celebrities who are only known in Buddhist lands).
Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje, Nigerian-English actor
Roberto Baggio, soccer (football) star for Italy
Orlando Bloom, English actor
Kate Bosworth, American actress SUPERMAN RETURNS dvd
Jeff Bridges, American actor JAGGED EDGE/VANISHING dvd
Jackie Chan, actor RUSH HOURS dvdJohn Cleese, actor, writer
Leonard Cohen Canadian singer/songwriter/poet
Patrick Duffy, actor DALLAS tv series
William Ford, Jr., Executive Director of the Board at Ford Motor Co.
Richard Gere, American actor UNFAITHFUL/PRETTY WOMAN/INTERNAL AFFAIRS dvd
Allen Ginsberg, poet
Philip Glass, composer
Herbie Hancock, musician
Goldie Hawn, actress DECEIVED/OVERBOARD dvd
Hermann Hesse, Noble Prize winning author
bell hooks, author
Kate Hudson, actress SKELETON KEY dvd
Michael Imperioli, American actor
Phil Jackson, Basketball coach of the NBA's Los Angeles Lakers
Angelina Jolie, American actress, humanist activist, Goodwill Ambassador for the UN Refugee Agency HER TATTOOS
http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/i ... ie+tattoos" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Steve Jobs, CEO of Apple Inc.
Jack Kerouac, author, poet, painter
Miranda Kerr, Australian supermodel, one of Victoria's Secret Angels
http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/i ... randa+Kerr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
K.D. Lang, Canadian singer
Jet Li, Chinese martial artist, Hollywood actor
Jennifer Lopez, actress, singer
Courtney Love, American singer-songwriter
George Lucas, American filmmaker, director of Star Wars
Alanis Morissette, Canadian singer-songwriter
Maya Soetoro-Ng, university professor, sister of U.S. president (Barack Obama)
Ellison Onizuka, U.S. Air Force colonel, NASA astronaut
Victor Pelevin, novelist
Brad Pitt, actor LEGEND OF THE FALL/MEET JOE BLACK/INTERVIEW WITH VAMPIRE
Ron Reagan, talk show host, son of former U.S. president (Ronald Reagan)
Keanu Reeves, American actor DEVIL'S ADVOCATE/THE MATRIX
Alex Rodriguez, American baseball player
Steven Seagal, American actor and aikido expert MARKED FOR DEATH
Russell Simmons, Entertainment and Fashion Mogul
Sting, English singer-songwriter, lead vocalist of The Police
Oliver Stone, film director
Sharon Stone, American actress, producer, and former fashion model TEARS IN THE RAIN/DIABOLIQUE dvd
George Takei, American actor, "Sulu" on Star Trek
Uma Thurman, American actress PAYCHECK/MY EX SUPERGIRLFRIEND
Thuy Trang (1973-2001), Vietnamese American Actress
Tina Turner, American singer-songwriter
Alice Walker, author (Color Purple and others)
Naomi Watts, British-Australian actress KING KONG
Dennis Weaver, actor McCLOUD
Ming-Na Wen, Chinese American Actress
Tiger Woods American Golfer
Elaine Wynn, Wynn Resorts, charities
Steve Wynn, CEO of Wynn Resorts Limited, Las Vegas
Adam Yauch, American musician, director, producer, Beastie

Buddhist politicians
Mazie Hirono, U.S. Congresswoman, Democrat from Hawaii
Hank Johnson, U.S. Congressman, Democrat from Georgia
Eric Lubbock, United Kingdom, elected member of the House of Lords

------------
:heart: Love both lists,
yawares
:heart:
DNS
Site Admin

Re: David's List VS Schindler's List

Post by DNS »

yawares wrote: :heart: Love both lists,
yawares
Thanks. Schindler's List is one of my all-time favorite movies. I also like The Bucket List. As you have probably noticed, I :heart: lists; especially Anguttara Nikaya lists.
yawares

Post by yawares »

David N. Snyder wrote:
yawares wrote: :heart: Love both lists,
yawares
Thanks. Schindler's List is one of my all-time favorite movies. I also like The Bucket List. As you have probably noticed, I :heart: lists; especially Anguttara Nikaya lists.

Dear David,
I think THE BUCKET LIST is kind of sad than funny....I love :heart: love Anguttara Nikaya
!!

yawares
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

Does a list of all lists list itself?

:thinking:
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
yawares

Post by yawares »

daverupa wrote:Does a list of all lists list itself?

:thinking:

Dear daverupa,
I give up! Please tell me what Does a list of all lists list itself? really mean?? :? :?

yawares
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

Russell's Paradox

"According to naive set theory, any definable collection is a set. Let R be the set of all sets that are not members of themselves. If R qualifies as a member of itself, it would contradict its own definition as a set containing all sets that are not members of themselves. On the other hand, if such a set is not a member of itself, it would qualify as a member of itself by the same definition. This contradiction is Russell's paradox.

"...There are some versions of this paradox that are closer to real-life situations and may be easier to understand for non-logicians. For example, the Barber paradox supposes a barber who shaves all men who do not shave themselves and only men who do not shave themselves. When one thinks about whether the barber should shave himself or not, the paradox begins to emerge."
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

daverupa wrote:Russell's Paradox

"According to naive set theory, any definable collection is a set. Let R be the set of all sets that are not members of themselves. If R qualifies as a member of itself, it would contradict its own definition as a set containing all sets that are not members of themselves. On the other hand, if such a set is not a member of itself, it would qualify as a member of itself by the same definition. This contradiction is Russell's paradox.

"...There are some versions of this paradox that are closer to real-life situations and may be easier to understand for non-logicians. For example, the Barber paradox supposes a barber who shaves all men who do not shave themselves and only men who do not shave themselves. When one thinks about whether the barber should shave himself or not, the paradox begins to emerge."
but as a barber he would need to pay himself to shave himself, and a profession is not the whole of anyone, so it would depend if he is shaving as a professional service or not! :juggling:
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

I think we have to add this thread to the list of threads which have been wrenched violently off topic.
:juggling:
How about getting back to Oskar S.? Or at least movies??
Schindler's List was a very good movie.
One of many good movies that Ben Kingsley played a significant part in.
Turtle Diary http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090219/ was a very good early one. Gandhi http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083987/ was another.
Hugo http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0970179/ is a very recent one - a kid's movie that adults will enjoy.
He is still working. I see from IMDB that he is in Ender's Game http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1731141/, which might be very good - the book certainly was.

:namaste:
Kim
yawares

Post by yawares »

Cittasanto wrote:
daverupa wrote:Russell's Paradox

but as a barber he would need to pay himself to shave himself, and a profession is not the whole of anyone, so it would depend if he is shaving as a professional service or not! :juggling:
Dear Cittasanto,
I give up..don't know what you 2 talking about?? :thinking: :tongue:
yawares

Post by yawares »

Kim O'Hara wrote:I think we have to add this thread to the list of threads which have been wrenched violently off topic.
:juggling:
How about getting back to Oskar S.? Or at least movies??
Schindler's List was a very good movie.
One of many good movies that Ben Kingsley played a significant part in.
Turtle Diary http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090219/ was a very good early one. Gandhi http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083987/ was another.
Hugo http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0970179/ is a very recent one - a kid's movie that adults will enjoy.
He is still working. I see from IMDB that he is in Ender's Game http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1731141/, which might be very good - the book certainly was.

:namaste:
Kim

Dear Kim,
I love GANDHI...very good movie! Ben really looks so much like GANDHI
Ben

Post by Ben »

Greetings Yawares,
yawares wrote: Allen Ginsberg, poet
News to me...

yawares wrote:Hermann Hesse, Noble Prize winning author
I doubt it very much.
Angelina Jolie, American actress, humanist activist, Goodwill Ambassador for the UN Refugee Agency HER TATTOOS

I doubt it is anything but a label to her and the minions of hollywood buddhists. her tatts are nothing but a fashion accessory.
yawares wrote:Jack Kerouac, author, poet, painter
While I have great respect for Kerouac as a writer. His demise was antithetical of the Dhamma.
So he says. But his recent behaviour indicates he is anything but.

kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
yawares

Post by yawares »

Ben wrote:Greetings Yawares,

Allen Ginsberg, poet

News to me...

yawares:Me too! :tongue:
yawares wrote:Hermann Hesse, Noble Prize winning author
I doubt it very much. yawares don't know him..just on the list. :tongue:

Angelina Jolie, American actress, humanist activist, Goodwill Ambassador for the UN Refugee Agency...HER TATTOOS

I doubt it is anything but a label to her and the minions of hollywood buddhists. her tatts are nothing but a fashion accessory.

Yawares: I agree with you 100%..Angelinajolie is the strangest Goodwill Ambassador..and may be the only ambassador that has tattoos/naked pictures!!...what can I say..she gave millions to charity and EX-President Bush titled her USA Goodwill Ambassador! BUT I ALWAYS BELIEVE THAT ALL PEOPLE CAN BE BETTER IF THEY REALLY WANT TO :thinking:

yawares wrote:Jack Kerouac, author, poet, painter

While I have great respect for Kerouac as a writer. His demise was antithetical of the Dhamma.

yawares knows nothing about him :tongue:

So he says. But his recent behaviour indicates he is anything but.

yawares : That's what happenned to super-richmen, women who love money/fame would throw themselves at these billionaire men..it will happen again and again....again...SAD BUT SO TRUE !! :tongue:
kind regards,
Ben[/quote]

:thumbsup: yawares loves your comments! :thumbsup: AND A SONG FOR U!!
Heart Of Gold : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fXaC07X5M8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ben

Post by Ben »

Thank you, Yawares.
Heart of Gold was the first song I learned to play on guitar many years ago.
kind regards.
Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Alan Ginsberg was a pretty famous poet.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Ginsberg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Herman Hesse received the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1946.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herman_Hesse" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
yawares

Post by yawares »

David N. Snyder wrote:Alan Ginsberg was a pretty famous poet.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Ginsberg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

yawares: “Millions of babies in pain Millions of mothers in rain Millions of brothers in woe Millions of children nowhere to go”
very impressive :thumbsup: But I love the song "WE ARE THE WORLD"( by Michael Jackson) the most:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2W4-0qUdHY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Herman Hesse received the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1946.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herman_Hesse" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
yawares: Such an amazing man! :anjali:

Dear David, I truly appreciate,
yawares