Super Famous Buddhists

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

Re: Super Famous Buddhists

Postby Ben » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:17 pm

Yes, he was in Ghost Busters, Yawares.
I thought he was better in Groundhog Day.
And it was a much more interesting movie (Imho).
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Heraclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby yawares » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:18 pm

Ben wrote:I was quite surprised by his performance in War of the Worlds. It was actually very good and his character had some real depth.
Dennis Hopper - he would have been great. I just remember him in Apocalypse Now! I think he was just channeling himself in that scene where Martin Sheen was in the cage.
I'd vote for Willem Defoe.
I love SPEED 2 with Jason/Sandra Bullock/Defoe :thumbsup:

Dear Ben,
I definitely LOVE : WAR OF THE WORLD :thumbsup:
yawares

Postby yawares » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:25 pm

tiltbillings wrote:
Ben wrote:I was quite surprised by his performance in War of the Worlds. It was actually very good and his character had some real depth.
Dennis Hopper - he would have been great. I just remember him in Apocalypse Now! I think he was just channeling himself in that scene where Martin Sheen was in the cage.
I'd vote for Willem Defoe.
Defoe, good choice:

yawares: I like him in CLEAR & PRESENT DANGER Harrison Ford/Defoe :thumbsup:

And one of my all time favorites:

yawares: JURASSIC PARK/THE LOST WORLD ...Goldblum :thumbsup:
yawares

Postby Sam Vara » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:32 pm

Then Talaputa, the head of an acting troupe, went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, having bowed down to him, sat to one side. As he was sitting there he said to the Blessed One: "Lord, I have heard that it has been passed down by the ancient teaching lineage of actors that 'When an actor on the stage, in the midst of a festival, makes people laugh & gives them delight with his imitation of reality, then with the breakup of the body, after death, he is reborn in the company of the laughing devas.' What does the Blessed One have to say about that?"

"Enough, headman, put that aside. Don't ask me that."

A second time... A third time Talaputa, the head of an acting troupe, said: "Lord, I have heard that it has been passed down by the ancient teaching lineage of actors that 'When an actor on the stage, in the midst of a festival, makes people laugh & gives them delight with his imitation of reality, then with the breakup of the body, after death, he is reborn in the company of the laughing devas.' What does the Blessed One have to say about that?"

"Apparently, headman, I haven't been able to get past you by saying, 'Enough, headman, put that aside. Don't ask me that.' So I will simply answer you. Any beings who are not devoid of passion to begin with, who are bound by the bond of passion, focus with even more passion on things inspiring passion presented by an actor on stage in the midst of a festival. Any beings who are not devoid of aversion to begin with, who are bound by the bond of aversion, focus with even more aversion on things inspiring aversion presented by an actor on stage in the midst of a festival. Any beings who are not devoid of delusion to begin with, who are bound by the bond of delusion, focus with even more delusion on things inspiring delusion presented by an actor on stage in the midst of a festival. Thus the actor — himself intoxicated & heedless, having made others intoxicated & heedless — with the breakup of the body, after death, is reborn in what is called the hell of laughter. But if he holds such a view as this: 'When an actor on the stage, in the midst of a festival, makes people laugh & gives them delight with his imitation of reality, then with the breakup of the body, after death, he is reborn in the company of the laughing devas,' that is his wrong view. Now, there are two destinations for a person with wrong view, I tell you: either hell or the animal womb."

When this was said, Talaputa, the head of an acting troupe, sobbed & burst into tears. [The Blessed One said:] "That is what I couldn't get past you by saying, 'Enough, headman, put that aside. Don't ask me that.'"

"I'm not crying, lord, because of what the Blessed One said to me, but simply because I have been deceived, cheated, & fooled for a long time by that ancient teaching lineage of actors who said: 'When an actor on the stage, in the midst of a festival, makes people laugh & gives them delight with his imitation of reality, then with the breakup of the body, after death, he is reborn in the company of the laughing devas.'

— SN 42.2
Sam Vara

Postby yawares » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:32 pm

tiltbillings wrote:And:
yawares: sigourney-weaver?? ALIENS???

yawares: I don't know her at all.

yawares: AVENGERS ??
yawares

Postby yawares » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:44 pm

[quote="Sam Vara"][quote]

Dear Sam Vara,
PLEASE LET ME POST YOUR STORY @ Dhammic stories tomorrow....love love it!! :anjali:
yawares
yawares

Postby Gazelle » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:52 am

Why do you think all these people are 'Buddhists'?
Gazelle

Postby Gazelle » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:53 am

Why do you think all these people are 'Buddhists'?
Gazelle

Postby plwk » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:03 am

Here's another one: the famed 'Buddhist Cat' of South Korea...
Bhikkhus, if you develop and make much this one thing,
it invariably leads to weariness, cessation, appeasement, realization and extinction.
What is it? It is recollecting the Enlightened One.
If this single thing is recollected and made much,
it invariably leads to weariness, cessation, appeasement, realization and extinction.

Anguttara-Nikaya: Ekanipata: Ekadhammapali: Pañhamavagga
VSM VMM WBB TBHT WTBT My Page
plwk

Postby tiltbillings » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:30 am

Gazelle wrote:Why do you think all these people are 'Buddhists'?

The people I list are not, as far as I know, but they should be in my opinion.
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond.
SN I, 38.

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.

"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts." -- Jack Johnson
tiltbillings

Postby Gazelle » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:31 am

Why should they be 'Buddhists'?
Gazelle

Postby tiltbillings » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:36 am

Gazelle wrote:Why should they be 'Buddhists'?
Why shouldn't they be? I like them is probably as good a reason as I can come up with, but mostly it was just a reason to celebrate interesting and quirky artists.
SN I, 38.

tiltbillings

Postby Sutiro » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:47 am

I think we should have some celebrity free space. Are we so unsure about our commitment to the Buddha's path that we need such validation? It just goes to show how they too must have much dukkha in their lives.
Sutiro

Postby Gazelle » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:48 am

What makes someone a 'Buddhist'?

:smile:
Gazelle

Postby tiltbillings » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:49 am

According to NEW YORK MAGAZINE Defoe is a Buddhist.

http://books.google.com/books?id=T-QCAA ... st&f=false
SN I, 38.

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:53 am

Sutiro wrote:I think we should have some celebrity free space. Are we so unsure about our commitment to the Buddha's path that we need such validation? It just goes to show how they too must have much dukkha in their lives.
The only validation I ever need is my own practice. If you do not like this thread (which is simply playfulness with the common culture), then -- very simply -- don't read it and certainly do not post in it.
SN I, 38.

tiltbillings

Postby Ben » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:54 am

tiltbillings wrote:According to NEW YORK MAGAZINE Defoe is a Buddhist.

http://books.google.com/books?id=T-QCAA ... st&f=false

That is interesting. When "The Hunter" was released he was interviewed by someone from the local office of the ABC (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) about his role in the film and working in Tasmania. Unlike some from that class of vermin otherwise known as celebrity, he was articulate, intelligent and very down to earth. I had no idea about him being Buddhist.
Thanks for the article, I'll check it out later tonight.

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Heraclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

Ben
Site Admin

Postby Ben » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:42 am

Dear members,

This is a reminder that off-topic posts are often removed without warning and repeat offenders can be subject to moderator attention which can include official board warnings, account suspensions and permanent bans.
Thanks for your cooperation.

Ben

- Heraclitus

Ben
Site Admin

Postby equilibrium » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:22 am

There is no such thing as a famous buddhist, never mind super as they are all human constructs.....only exist in the mind.
However, what is more important is how one is doing along on the path.
equilibrium

Postby yawares » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:36 pm

Gazelle wrote:Why do you think all these people are 'Buddhists'?

Dear Gazelle/Sutiro/Tiltbillings/Ben/Equili brium :anjali: ,
Because they told the news people that they are Buddhists and they gave $ millions to Dalai Lama to support Buddhist temples/charities !! $ $$ MILLIONS ALWAYS SCREAM LOUDER THAT THEY ARE BUDDHISTS !! :anjali:

Please give them credits ..if they don't love Buddhas why they donate so much money to Buddhist temples and annouce that they are Buddhists!!...I'm sure these celebrities will meet our future Buddha next next next life and they might be the new great upasaka/upasikas just like Citta the millionaire, Visakha, Anadapindika, Sirima, Ambika, King Ajatsattu, King Asoka etc.

These celebrities put their merits in Buddha's BANK...someday in the future...they will reap the great benefits!! :anjali:

Thank you so very much for your replies to my article :namaste:
yawares :heart: you all
Last edited by yawares on Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yawares

PreviousNext

Return to Lounge