Super Famous Buddhists

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Gazelle

Re: Super Famous Buddhists

Post by Gazelle »

Why should they be 'Buddhists'?
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Gazelle wrote:Why should they be 'Buddhists'?
Why shouldn't they be? I like them is probably as good a reason as I can come up with, but mostly it was just a reason to celebrate interesting and quirky artists.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Sutiro

Post by Sutiro »

I think we should have some celebrity free space. Are we so unsure about our commitment to the Buddha's path that we need such validation? It just goes to show how they too must have much dukkha in their lives.
Gazelle

Post by Gazelle »

What makes someone a 'Buddhist'?

:smile:
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

According to NEW YORK MAGAZINE Defoe is a Buddhist.

http://books.google.com/books?id=T-QCAA ... st&f=false" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Sutiro wrote:I think we should have some celebrity free space. Are we so unsure about our commitment to the Buddha's path that we need such validation? It just goes to show how they too must have much dukkha in their lives.
The only validation I ever need is my own practice. If you do not like this thread (which is simply playfulness with the common culture), then -- very simply -- don't read it and certainly do not post in it.

Ben

Post by Ben »

tiltbillings wrote:According to NEW YORK MAGAZINE Defoe is a Buddhist.

http://books.google.com/books?id=T-QCAA ... st&f=false" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That is interesting. When "The Hunter" was released he was interviewed by someone from the local office of the ABC (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) about his role in the film and working in Tasmania. Unlike some from that class of vermin otherwise known as celebrity, he was articulate, intelligent and very down to earth. I had no idea about him being Buddhist.
Thanks for the article, I'll check it out later tonight.

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Ben

Post by Ben »

Dear members,

This is a reminder that off-topic posts are often removed without warning and repeat offenders can be subject to moderator attention which can include official board warnings, account suspensions and permanent bans.
Thanks for your cooperation.

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
equilibrium

Post by equilibrium »

There is no such thing as a famous buddhist, never mind super as they are all human constructs.....only exist in the mind.
However, what is more important is how one is doing along on the path.
yawares

Post by yawares »

Gazelle wrote:Why do you think all these people are 'Buddhists'?

Dear Gazelle/Sutiro/Tiltbillings/Ben/Equili brium :anjali: ,
Because they told the news people that they are Buddhists and they gave $ millions to Dalai Lama to support Buddhist temples/charities !! $ $$ MILLIONS ALWAYS SCREAM LOUDER THAT THEY ARE BUDDHISTS !! :anjali:

Please give them credits ..if they don't love Buddhas why they donate so much money to Buddhist temples and annouce that they are Buddhists!!...I'm sure these celebrities will meet our future Buddha next next next life and they might be the new great upasaka/upasikas just like Citta the millionaire, Visakha, Anadapindika, Sirima, Ambika, King Ajatsattu, King Asoka etc.

These celebrities put their merits in Buddha's BANK...someday in the future...they will reap the great benefits!! :anjali:

Thank you so very much for your replies to my article :namaste:
yawares :heart: you all
Last edited by yawares on Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yawares

Post by yawares »

plwk wrote:Here's another one:
the famed cat : http://inwardpathpublisher.blogspot.com ... korea.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]'Buddhist Cat'[/url] of South Korea...

Dear Plwk,
I would love very much to see this Buddhist Cat....I'll post the story today@ Shrine Room!
yawares
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

yawares wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:And:
yawares: sigourney-weaver?? ALIENS???

yawares: I don't know her at all.

yawares: AVENGERS ??
yawares,

You are correct about the final picture. It is Diana Rigg, who played Emma Peel in the Avengers. I think she is beautiful in a typically English kind of way. I saw her acting on stage about four years ago, when she was about seventy. All beauty passes!
yawares

Post by yawares »

Dear Sam Vara,
I think Diana Riggs was beautiful/talented...most of my favorite movie stars: Harrison Ford, Richard Gere, Sharon Stone, Sandra Bullock, Bruce Willis etc. are getting old now....RUPA ANICCA.

yawares
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

tiltbillings wrote: I like them is probably as good a reason as I can come up with, but mostly it was just a reason to celebrate interesting and quirky artists.
:goodpost:
yawares wrote: Because they told the news people that they are Buddhists

Please give them credits ..if they don't love Buddhas why they donate so much money to Buddhist temples and annouce that they are Buddhists!!...I'm sure these celebrities will meet our future Buddha next next next life and they might be the new great upasaka/upasikas just like Citta the millionaire, Visakha, Anadapindika, Sirima, Ambika, King Ajatsattu, King Asoka etc.
yawares

Post by yawares »

David N. Snyder wrote:
tiltbillings wrote: I like them is probably as good a reason as I can come up with, but mostly it was just a reason to celebrate interesting and quirky artists.
yawares wrote: Because they told the news people that they are Buddhists

Dear David....I think the sign is so cute/good meaning/encouraging!...Yawares :heart: the sign! Thank a million!