David's List VS Schindler's List

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Ben

Re: David's List VS Schindler's List

Post by Ben »

David N. Snyder wrote:Alan Ginsberg was a pretty famous poet.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Ginsberg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Herman Hesse received the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1946.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herman_Hesse" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I agree David - totally.
Alan Ginsberg was part of the Beat scene and I have been a great fan of Herman Hesse's writings for decades. However, I have neither heard of Ginsberg profess his "faith" nor read about any artefacts of his practice.
Hesse's fictionalized depiction of Gautama leads me to believe that he had a very poor understanding of the Buddhadhamma.
But then again - I could be way off the mark.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Ah, I see what you mean Ben. Yes, those from the "Beat" generation tend to get categorized as "Buddhist" when their affiliation is nominal at best, especially those like Kerouac.
lament

Post by lament »

From Wikipedia, it seems Ginsberg was really a Buddhist and his teacher was none other than Trungpa.

Hesse, I remember reading somewhere that he actually spent time meditating trying to become enlightened. Presumably it didn't work. I doubt he ever thought of himself as a Buddhist. Siddhartha is partly autobiographical: He meets the Buddha, but realizes that he could not be satisfied by following another person's teachings.
yawares

Post by yawares »

lament wrote:From Wikipedia, it seems Ginsberg was really a Buddhist and his teacher was none other than Trungpa.

Hesse, I remember reading somewhere that he actually spent time meditating trying to become enlightened. Presumably it didn't work. I doubt he ever thought of himself as a Buddhist. Siddhartha is partly autobiographical: He meets the Buddha, but realizes that he could not be satisfied by following another person's teachings.

Dear "lament",
Thank you for giving more information about Hesse...I feel like I know/understand him better :thinking:
yawares