YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

What's at stake as the Dharma goes modern - Page 3 - Dhamma Wheel

What's at stake as the Dharma goes modern

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths. What can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Sam Vara

Re: What's at stake as the Dharma goes modern

Postby Sam Vara » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:51 pm

DAWN

Postby DAWN » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:59 pm

I think that if we explaint to them what is realy means 'kamma' they will understand and agree that is somethink that is the law of nature
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...

Sam Vara

Postby Sam Vara » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:13 pm

Alex123

Postby Alex123 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:40 pm

"Life is a struggle. Life will throw curveballs at you, it will humble you, it will attempt to break you down. And just when you think things are starting to look up, life will smack you back down with ruthless indifference..."

DAWN

Postby DAWN » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:04 pm

Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...

Sam Vara

Postby Sam Vara » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:09 pm

DAWN

Postby DAWN » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:34 pm

It's true that scientific peoples have a much more difficulties to accept religion, than religios peoples to accept a science. But as i know, about 10% of scientist said that they belieave in God
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...

Sam Vara

Postby Sam Vara » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:46 pm

ancientbuddhism

Postby ancientbuddhism » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:24 am

I say, beware of all enterprises that require new clothes, and not rather a new wearer of clothes.” – Henry David Thoreau, Walden, 1854

Secure your own mask before assisting others. – NORTHWEST AIRLINES (Pre-Flight Instruction)

DAWN

Postby DAWN » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:20 am

Last edited by DAWN on Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...

Spiny Norman

Postby Spiny Norman » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:04 pm

"My religion is very simple - my religion is ice-cream."
Dairy Lama

Kim OHara

Postby Kim OHara » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:28 pm

Micheal Kush

Postby Micheal Kush » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:37 am

Hey guys just here to offer my two cents.

First of all, science like any other medium accumulating knowledge is not totally objective and is constrained by its own motives and views that render it a hindrance to discover anything innovative. Being a big science fanatic myself, i actually seem to be more of a post modernism thinker(though not really) and see that science operates also a fallacy of a system which claim that this scientific method is absolutely universal. As a matter of fact, if one reads Paul Feyerbends writings on science, it adopts a stance that doesn't dispense science as a ignorant tool but exploits of his inherent flaws that invaded it in the last few centuries. It operates solely on one particular method which is no truer than Buddhists method of discerning and investigating. So please we have to exclude science as the ultimate goal that Buddhism now has to rely on and of course no is saying that. Science like anything and this can be especially seen through philosophy and art, must be progressed thoroughly to accomplish anything.

I do find it immensely beneficial that science does investigate its claims and see if they are genuinely true. However, this extremely difficult due to the fact that concepts like Nibbana,rebirth etc can be experienced subjectively and cannot be brought to world view terms. One of the things i believe meditators and researchers should develop is that if we do acquire these states or even Nirvana, then they should investigate to elucidate it clearly as its presented and see how it applies to our world. For example, many speak of Nirvana as having no thoughts but to the extent of reason and what science has stated so far, this is not true. Actually, it seems that Buddhas description is fairly accurate and non contradictory. I don't think we should place the hands of fate of Buddhism or Dhamma into sciences hand when its still permeated by a materialistic world view.

Also, Buddha himself though extraordinary in his teachings, wasn't the only man to discover something that was well ahead of his time. Mencius and a pre Socratic philosopher(forgot the name) believed in a theory in which organisms can adapt to the variation of their environment........hmmmm sound familiar?

There a few other examples but all in all, may all beings be well and happy/

WIth mettta, mike

daverupa

Postby daverupa » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:50 pm

ancientbuddhism

Postby ancientbuddhism » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:10 pm

I say, beware of all enterprises that require new clothes, and not rather a new wearer of clothes.” – Henry David Thoreau, Walden, 1854

Secure your own mask before assisting others. – NORTHWEST AIRLINES (Pre-Flight Instruction)

Hanzze

Postby Hanzze » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:03 am

The Dhamma-Vinaya leads one to give up his usual habits and addopts skills that lead out of the wandering-on. If one starts to modify the Dhamma-Vinaya up to his habits, then it is like running into something that is well pointed out in a sentense, a wise man once used to say (maybe other words): "If your are not honest to the Dhamma and Vinaya, the Dhamma and Vinaya will not be honest to you."

No problem if someone thinks on making another turn, but I guess there is no need to modernice (reject) the Dhamma. In that way the good teachings will continue to exist till the time one will be open for it... till one might have enought and seeks for the path.

Understanding does not come by modifying something to once own known ideas. Just be attentive, mindfull and patient! Things will puzzle together with time if letting go starts to reach a deeper point.
Just that! *smile*

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Nate sante baram sokham _()_

Return to “Connections to Other Paths”