How to teach Mindfulness of Death to atheists?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
kirk5a

Re: How to teach Mindfulness of Death to atheists?

Post by kirk5a »

lament wrote:Well, speaking as an annihilationist...

1) My belief in annihilationism is quite unshakable. I can't really see any way I could change or destabilize it. If there was anything in the suttas that could do it, I would probably have found it by now.
What's the last thing you observed being annihilated?
"When one thing is practiced & pursued, ignorance is abandoned, clear knowing arises, the conceit 'I am' is abandoned, latent tendencies are uprooted, fetters are abandoned. Which one thing? Mindfulness immersed in the body." -AN 1.230
whynotme

Post by whynotme »

lament wrote:Well, speaking as an annihilationist...

1) My belief in annihilationism is quite unshakable. I can't really see any way I could change or destabilize it. If there was anything in the suttas that could do it, I would probably have found it by now.

2) I can testify that meditation on death does not make me a hedonist. It's balancing. It promotes mindfulness and momentary awareness. It certainly doesn't make me want to break precepts or do actions inconsistent with the noble eightfold path. The alternative, which is really feigned ignorance, seems childish and unhelpful. So that's some anecdotal evidence.

I agree with darvki, you are giving atheists/annihilationists too little credit here.
Dear lament,

I am quite confident in using modern concepts and science to shake people's faith in annihilation, if people are serious about it. This trick I was learned and developed myself when I was converted to Buddhism. But most people are atheists by feelings, traditions or faith, when hearing reasons, they don't understand or accept it. For some reasons, I am only concentrated on my practice, not interested in convert others unless they are close, important to me. IMO most people here already see it by their wisdom so you aren't see any such a basic discussion, but faith in annihilation isn't something unshakable if one has an open mind.

I think it is called open dhamma here, so for your benefit, you can challenge any Buddhism's view if you like

Regards
Please stop following me
lament

Post by lament »

whynotme wrote: Dear lament,

I am quite confident in using modern concepts and science to shake people's faith in annihilation, if people are serious about it. This trick I was learned and developed myself when I was converted to Buddhism. But most people are atheists by feelings, traditions or faith, when hearing reasons, they don't understand or accept it. For some reasons, I am only concentrated on my practice, not interested in convert others unless they are close, important to me. IMO most people here already see it by their wisdom so you aren't see any such a basic discussion, but faith in annihilation isn't something unshakable if one has an open mind.

I think it is called open dhamma here, so for your benefit, you can challenge any Buddhism's view if you like

Regards
Hi whynotme, I really enjoy your posts! Like you, I'm concentrated on practice and not interested in converting anyone or in being converted myself. Of course, I like to think that I'm open-minded, but it's not like I actively want to change my beliefs. So I don't really wish to discuss this.
I posted here because the topic is teaching mindfulness of death to atheists, and I'm one, so I feel I can contribute with first-hand knowledge.
LonesomeYogurt

Post by LonesomeYogurt »

kirk5a wrote: What's the last thing you observed being annihilated?
The last thread to derail into a debate about rebirth, I'd say.

To get this back on topic, I want to make it clear that I wasn't disparaging atheists or saying that they will turn to hedonism if taught about death. I'm simply saying that meditation on death exists, in Theravada, not as a singular entity but as one part of a larger worldview. It doesn't function well on its own, at least in my mind.
Gain and loss, status and disgrace,
censure and praise, pleasure and pain:
these conditions among human beings are inconstant,
impermanent, subject to change.

Knowing this, the wise person, mindful,
ponders these changing conditions.
Desirable things don’t charm the mind,
undesirable ones bring no resistance.

His welcoming and rebelling are scattered,
gone to their end,
do not exist.
- Lokavipatti Sutta