Buddhist encounters in Portugal

Theravāda in the 21st century - modern applications of ancient wisdom
Cittasanto
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1

Re: Buddhist encounters in Portugal

Postby Cittasanto » Fri May 11, 2012 6:55 pm

I only had a brief encounter With Ajahn Jayasaro, and he is a very good Monk for a first Encounter!
:anjali:

He is senior to Ajahn Vajiro the soon to be senior Monastic at the Portuguese monastery by about 30seconds at most (at a guess) they were ordained at the same time.

Rui Sousa wrote:Last Tuesday, the 8th of May, Ajahn Jayasaro visited Portugal to support the initiative of setting up the monastery.

At the Portuguese Buddhist Union he gave a meditation workshop that started at 14:30 and ended at about 19:00, at 19:30 another session was planned, ending at 21:30. I was there at 19:30, and left at 22:00.

While I was there the Ajahn gave a very interesting Dhamma talk, and mentioned how enthusiastic his Thai supporters are about this new monastery. I believe more than 50 people were there during this second session. And a small delay occurred because the room had to be rearranged to assure everyone had a place to sit.

It was a very happy event for me. For the first time I was in the presence of an ordained monk. His calmness, clear speech and friendliness cause a deep impact in me.

I hope the number of people present at the event is a good indication of the support the monks will have in Portugal. I will support them in any way I can.

Metta
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."

mikenz66
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1001

Postby mikenz66 » Fri May 11, 2012 7:38 pm

Hi Rui Sousa,

Sounds great. Thank you for sharing.

:anjali:
Mike

Modus.Ponens

Postby Modus.Ponens » Sat May 12, 2012 12:10 am

Sadly I wasn't there. But it's really, really good to know there are many people enthusiastic of this project, and the Theravada in general. :)
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:20 pm

Spoke with my friend this morningand he says things are going quite smoothly!
Ajahn Vajiro & Venerable Subadho are learning portugees & not having too much of a culture shock :-)
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."

Modus.Ponens

Postby Modus.Ponens » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:17 pm

Excelent! I haven't visit the monks yet because I'm in Madeira Island and they are in Lisbon. I'll visit them as soon as possible.
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:03 pm

Don't worry I warned them you may come, and to pretend to be out that day :P

Modus.Ponens

Postby Modus.Ponens » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:37 am

:mrgreen:

Return to “Theravāda for the modern world”