Dream World v Real World!

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
equilibrium

Dream World v Real World!

Post by equilibrium »

There is a saying in a film:
"Have you ever had a dream that it was so real, what if you were never to wake up from that dream, how would you know the difference between the dream world and the real word?"

What does the above statement mean to you?
Do you think you are in a dream world or are you in the real world?.....more importantly.....are you awake?.....do you SEE any differences?
James the Giant

Re: Dream World v Real World!

Post by James the Giant »

I means to me someone has watched Inception too many times.
In my experience, it's only in films that people seriously say that. Hollywood seems obsessed by that theme at the moment.
Oh, wait, I have heard people say that, but they were on drugs at the time.
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11
santa100

Post by santa100 »

The Buddha defined this "dream world" with more specific terms:

"The Blessed One said: "Monks, sensuality is inconstant, hollow, vain, deceptive. It is illusory, the babble of fools. Sensuality here & now; sensuality in lives to come; sensual perceptions here & now; sensual perceptions in lives to come: both are Mara's realm, Mara's domain, Mara's bait, Mara's range. They lead to these evil, unskillful mental states: greed, ill will, & contentiousness. They arise for the obstruction of a disciple of the noble ones here in training."
~~ http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ~~
James the Giant

Great relevant quote, Santa.
So if we are involved in sensuality then pretty much we are living in illusion, in a dream.
Interesting how that has echoes of Hindu roots to it.
Then,
saturated with joy,
SN 9.11
kirk5a

Post by kirk5a »

equilibrium wrote:There is a saying in a film:
"Have you ever had a dream that it was so real, what if you were never to wake up from that dream, how would you know the difference between the dream world and the real word?"

Do you think you are in a dream world or are you in the real world?.....more importantly.....are you awake?.....do you SEE any differences?
Is that line from The Matrix?

I would say the dream is an unskillful interpretation of the real.
"When one thing is practiced & pursued, ignorance is abandoned, clear knowing arises, the conceit 'I am' is abandoned, latent tendencies are uprooted, fetters are abandoned. Which one thing? Mindfulness immersed in the body." -AN 1.230
equilibrium

Post by equilibrium »

James the Giant wrote:I means to me someone has watched Inception too many times.
In my experience, it's only in films that people seriously say that. Hollywood seems obsessed by that theme at the moment.
Oh, wait, I have heard people say that, but they were on drugs at the time.
Do you think there is any difference between the followings:
1) If the statement were spoken in a film and one hears it by their ears.
2) The statement were printed in a book and one were to read it.

There should be no difference at all.....What is more important is what does it mean?.....is it not?
equilibrium

Post by equilibrium »

James the Giant wrote:Great relevant quote, Santa.
So if we are involved in sensuality then pretty much we are living in illusion, in a dream.
Interesting how that has echoes of Hindu roots to it.
The question is not "if" as this would suggest that we are questioning the teaching itself.
The teaching is there to be understood.....is it not?
equilibrium

Post by equilibrium »

kirk5a wrote: Is that line from The Matrix?
yes it is.
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

From Nisargadatta Maharaj:

Your world is transient, changeful. My world is perfect, changeless. You can tell me what you like about your world - I shall listen carefully, even with interest, yet not for a moment shall I forget that your world is not, that you are dreaming.

http://www.inner-quest.org/Nisargadatta_Detachment.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
James the Giant

Mr Man wrote:From Nisargadatta Maharaj:

Your world is transient, changeful. My world is perfect, changeless. You can tell me what you like about your world - I shall listen carefully, even with interest, yet not for a moment shall I forget that your world is not, that you are dreaming.

http://www.inner-quest.org/Nisargadatta_Detachment.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Why are you quoting Nisargadatta Maharaj on a Theravada Buddhist forum? He teaches Advaita Hinduism.
Then,
saturated with joy,
SN 9.11
ground

Post by ground »

equilibrium wrote:There is a saying in a film:

It is a manifestation of delusion because it contrasts "real" with "dream". But actually everything originates dependently ... when there is this then that will arise.
equilibrium wrote: Do you think you are in a dream world or are you in the real world?.....more importantly.....are you awake?.....do you SEE any differences?
No difference. When there is this then that will arise.

:sage:
Magoo

Post by Magoo »

ground wrote: When there is this then that will arise.
Just to add to this and something that I have only just read that Ajahn Sumedho wrote and is very profound and that is that the above should read:

"When there is this, then this will arise." (rather than this and that) This difference is subtle but significant in my view.

With MeggaMetta
Eamonn
ground

Post by ground »

Magoo wrote:
ground wrote: When there is this then that will arise.
Just to add to this and something that I have only just read that Ajahn Sumedho wrote and is very profound and that is that the above should read:

"When there is this, then this will arise." (rather than this and that) This difference is subtle but significant in my view.

With MeggaMetta
Eamonn
Yes because be it called "this" or "that" actually there is no difference. :sage:
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

James the Giant wrote:
Mr Man wrote:From Nisargadatta Maharaj:

Why are you quoting Nisargadatta Maharaj on a Theravada Buddhist forum? He teaches Advaita Hinduism.
So it is okay to quote Hollywood movies but not Nisargadatta Maharaj? This topic is in "Open Dhamma"
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

World is how ever world (loka).
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_