World's shortest 'Dhamma' domain name

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
DNS
Site Admin

World's shortest 'Dhamma' domain name

Post by DNS »

dham.ma

As many of you know I have a hobby of collecting Buddhist domain names and creating some websites. I currently have about 27 Buddhist related domain names and websites (some domain names are just redirects to some of the primary websites).

One of the latest things collectors have been doing is creating words and domain names by using the country codes. For example, you tube used the Belgium country code of dot be to create: youtu.be which of course spells youtube without the dot com extension.

So I ordered the Morocco country code dot ma (.ma) extension so that it would spell 'Dhamma' including the extension. The domain name is dham and then with the extension spells Dhamma. :tongue:

It redirects to one of my main websites: http://www.thedhamma.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
daverupa

Re: World's shortest 'Dhamma' domain name

Post by daverupa »

Then I guess it's time for naccagitavaditavisukkadassanamalagandhavilepanadharanamandanavibhusanathanaveramanisikkhapadamsamadiya.mi

(a Michigan, USA domain extension, so it's even legit)
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

:thumbsup:

Good one, dave, but I think I'll pass on that one. :tongue:
Ben

Post by Ben »

David N. Snyder wrote:dham.ma

As many of you know I have a hobby of collecting Buddhist domain names and creating some websites. I currently have about 27 Buddhist related domain names and websites (some domain names are just redirects to some of the primary websites).

One of the latest things collectors have been doing is creating words and domain names by using the country codes. For example, you tube used the Belgium country code of dot be to create: youtu.be which of course spells youtube without the dot com extension.

So I ordered the Morocco country code dot ma (.ma) extension so that it would spell 'Dhamma' including the extension. The domain name is dham and then with the extension spells Dhamma. :tongue:

It redirects to one of my main websites: http://www.thedhamma.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nice work, David!
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Doshin

Post by Doshin »

daverupa wrote:Then I guess it's time for naccagitavaditavisukkadassanamalagandhavilepanadharanamandanavibhusanathanaveramanisikkhapadamsamadiya.mi

.mi does not exist, as a top-level-domain: http://www.iana.org/domains/root/db" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Knowing about dhamma, does not imply knowing dhamma
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

Doshin wrote:
daverupa wrote:Then I guess it's time for naccagitavaditavisukkadassanamalagandhavilepanadharanamandanavibhusanathanaveramanisikkhapadamsamadiya.mi

.mi does not exist, as a top-level-domain: http://www.iana.org/domains/root/db" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:cry:

Well, shoot. I'll just consider it an adornment which runs afoul of that precept, and call it a day.

:smile:
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

kirk5a

Post by kirk5a »

I see now what is meant by the expression "Dhamma geek" :smile:

Hopefully "dham" doesn't mean anything embarrassing in Arabic.
"When one thing is practiced & pursued, ignorance is abandoned, clear knowing arises, the conceit 'I am' is abandoned, latent tendencies are uprooted, fetters are abandoned. Which one thing? Mindfulness immersed in the body." -AN 1.230
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

kirk5a wrote:I see now what is meant by the expression "Dhamma geek" :smile:

I think it means 'blood', but I could be wrong.

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

daverupa wrote:
kirk5a wrote:I see now what is meant by the expression "Dhamma geek" :smile:

I think it means 'blood', but I could be wrong.
The Hebrew word for blood is דם pronounced something like dahm. My Arabic is not that good anymore since I don't get much practice so went to google translate and dham came out as ضم
"annexation."

Annexation is better than blood. :tongue:
Ytrog

Post by Ytrog »

Some countries are very strict about the nationality of the person who requests a domain, so you're quite lucky you got a .ma address :clap:

I have only one address myself and I barely use it.
Suffering is asking from life what it can never give you.
mindfulness, bliss and beyond (page 8) wrote:Do not linger on the past. Do not keep carrying around coffins full of dead moments
If you see any unskillful speech (or other action) from me let me know, so I can learn from it.
yawares

Post by yawares »

David N. Snyder wrote:dham.ma

Dear David,
Could you please give me the link to your book: "The Complete Books of Buddha's Lists -- Explained " and if you don't mind, I would love to post it everyday just like I posted "Kamanita And Vasitthi." I'm sure all members would love to read it. :anjali:
yawares
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

yawares wrote:
Could you please give me the link to your book: "The Complete Books of Buddha's Lists -- Explained " and if you don't mind, I would love to post it everyday just like I posted "Kamanita And Vasitthi." I'm sure all members would love to read it. :anjali:
yawares
Hi yawares,

Thanks for your interest. The links to the book (google books and a pdf) are on the front, home page of the site, in the paragraph under "sold out" in the blue letters / links.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Ytrog wrote:Some countries are very strict about the nationality of the person who requests a domain, so you're quite lucky you got a .ma address :clap:
Thanks, this is true. I once tried to get a Dhamma related domain name from Canada with the extension dot ca (.ca) and I wasn't able to do so since I do not reside in Canada or have any business or organization there. Fortunately, some countries do not have those restrictions.

Viva Morocco!
yawares

Post by yawares »

Hi yawares,

Thanks for your interest. The links to the book (google books and a pdf) are on the front, home page of the site, in the paragraph under "sold out" in the blue letters / links.[/quote]

Dear David,
Tep got it for me yesterday..yawares is an airhead/don't know how to find it :tongue: ...I'll post real soon. After 10 years my laptop died at dawn this morning. Tep just bought a new/pretty laptop for me an hour ago.
yawares is using Tep's computer right now while he 's connecting/download everything back into my new laptop.
Ytrog

Post by Ytrog »

David N. Snyder wrote:
Ytrog wrote:Some countries are very strict about the nationality of the person who requests a domain, so you're quite lucky you got a .ma address :clap:
Thanks, this is true. I once tried to get a Dhamma related domain name from Canada with the extension dot ca (.ca) and I wasn't able to do so since I do not reside in Canada or have any business or organization there. Fortunately, some countries do not have those restrictions.

Viva Morocco!
Too bad there isn't any Pali word that ends in "nl" that I'm aware of :P
Suffering is asking from life what it can never give you.
mindfulness, bliss and beyond (page 8) wrote:Do not linger on the past. Do not keep carrying around coffins full of dead moments
If you see any unskillful speech (or other action) from me let me know, so I can learn from it.