YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Sutta's on metta Meditation? - Dhamma Wheel

Sutta's on metta Meditation?

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Maarten

Sutta's on metta Meditation?

Postby Maarten » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:53 pm

Hello Everyone,

I have been practicing metta meditation and have found it of great benefit. I always want to stick as close to the sutta's as possible, so my question is: what are the sutta's on metta meditation?
I found the metta and Karanya metta sutta's through google but they seem to be general discourses on metta.
Any references to sutta's about metta would be highly appreciated! :)

Metta to all! :D

Sam Vara

Re: Sutta's on metta Meditation?

Postby Sam Vara » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:15 pm

bodom

Postby bodom » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:45 pm

To study is to know the texts,
To practice is to know your defilements,
To attain the goal is to know and let go.

- Ajahn Lee Dhammadharo

With mindfulness immersed in the body
well established, restrained
with regard to the six media of contact,
always centered, the monk
can know Unbinding for himself.

- Ud 3.5

https://www.dhammatalks.org/index.html
http://www.ajahnchah.org/

Hanzze

Postby Hanzze » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:31 am

As metta is easy wrong understood I guess that is a good essay to understand it a little better. We easily tend to develope beautiful emotions.

One would find also some good recources to the suttas there and as well a good explaining, as there are many confusing translations and ideas of metta.
Just that! *smile*

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Nate sante baram sokham _()_

Stiphan

Postby Stiphan » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:00 pm

This book might be helpful:

Maarten

Postby Maarten » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:52 pm

Thank you all for your replies and for any future additions,

I will read the resources you posted, and already read part of the loving kindnes book and it is excellent!
I was hoping there would be a lot more sutta's on loving kindness since I heared ven. Vimalaramsi say the Buddha recommended it more that anything else.

Metta :)

Hanzze

Postby Hanzze » Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:04 am

Just that! *smile*

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Nate sante baram sokham _()_

Maarten

Postby Maarten » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:39 am

Hanzze

Postby Hanzze » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:52 pm

Dear Maarten,

did you ever observed that those strong attached to metta (love...) have a tendency to be more corpulent? I am not sure, but I guess there is a secred link. Who gives much needs much, maybe. Some years ago I had my self 150 kg. But I guess we are running offtopic.

Bhikkhu Vimalaramsi, does great work and brings a lot of people on a good path and metta is of cause importand on the path, preconditioned one is on the path. Metta how ever is also a great trapping tool (just think on all that love affairs in religions) but it might have its danger that come with all drugs.

I remember that Mirco, a member here, has a lot of experianses once with metta meditation and also in regard of Bhikkhu Vimalaramsi approach to metta and the path. Maybe he will share some infos for you here, if not, you might send him a message. I am sure that your questions are very wellcome and also well answered.
Just that! *smile*

Maarten

Postby Maarten » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:40 pm

Hi Hanzze,

Thank you for pointing out these dangers, I have heard about them before. I will certainly keep them in mind to make sure they don't become obstacles in my practice. For now I will continue my metta practice as I feel it is the most beneficial for me at this time because my greatest defilements are all related to aversion / I'll will.

With metta :)

Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:56 pm

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.

Return to “General Theravāda Meditation”