Good cushion

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
LonesomeYogurt

Good cushion

Post by LonesomeYogurt »

I'm having the worst trouble trying to integrate seated lotus posture into my routine and I am about out of options - my back seems to generally be weak and I need all the help I can get to prevent terrible pain from developing.

Does anyone have recommendations for meditation cushions? I am using a wool-filled one right now, and I wonder if perhaps it is not helping me in the way it should. I'm willing to give one last try to the sitting posture on a new cushion, so what do you all suggest?

Thanks! Any general tips on sitting half lotus, etc. are also great.
Gain and loss, status and disgrace,
censure and praise, pleasure and pain:
these conditions among human beings are inconstant,
impermanent, subject to change.

Knowing this, the wise person, mindful,
ponders these changing conditions.
Desirable things don’t charm the mind,
undesirable ones bring no resistance.

His welcoming and rebelling are scattered,
gone to their end,
do not exist.
- Lokavipatti Sutta

Stuff I write about things.
Ben

Re: Good cushion

Post by Ben »

Hi LY

You might want to look at changing your posture. I sit in basic cross-legged posture or burmese (legs bent at knees but not overlapping).
I use a futon-style chair cushion doubled over and a thin afghan prayer rug.
All the best,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Monkey Mind

Post by Monkey Mind »

I sit on a buckwheat pillow, love it. But I added this device to tool chest for sitting retreats, and it has made all the difference as far as my back is concerned:
http://www.nadachair.com/
"As I am, so are others;
as others are, so am I."
Having thus identified self and others,
harm no one nor have them harmed.

Sutta Nipāta 3.710
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

If you are experiencing back pain to this degree then I think a different cushion will not make much difference, a stool probably won't help either.

Different cushions might help with your knees but I assume you're not having any issues with your knees? You are probably better off establishing a good yoga/exercise routine that emphasises strengthening your back, I think strengthening stomach muscles also has an affect on your back.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
LonesomeYogurt

Post by LonesomeYogurt »

Goofaholix wrote:If you are experiencing back pain to this degree then I think a different cushion will not make much difference, a stool probably won't help either.

Different cushions might help with your knees but I assume you're not having any issues with your knees? You are probably better off establishing a good yoga/exercise routine that emphasises strengthening your back, I think strengthening stomach muscles also has an affect on your back.
I think that it would be of help, in combination with other exercises and such. Occasionally I will hit a sweet spot with my wool cushion and really sink in.
Gain and loss, status and disgrace,
censure and praise, pleasure and pain:
these conditions among human beings are inconstant,
impermanent, subject to change.

Knowing this, the wise person, mindful,
ponders these changing conditions.
Desirable things don’t charm the mind,
undesirable ones bring no resistance.

His welcoming and rebelling are scattered,
gone to their end,
do not exist.
- Lokavipatti Sutta

Stuff I write about things.
m0rl0ck

Post by m0rl0ck »

I have tried various things including phone books, cotton zafus, rolled up blankets, couch cushions etc and finally got a buckwheat zafu and absolutely love it. Really solid and firm which i think allows your leg and back muscles to relax a bit. I'll second the earlier recommend of the burmese posture as well.
“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig
Bonsai Doug

Post by Bonsai Doug »

I've been using this kapok filled set for over a year now and love it! And (important to me) it's made in the USA:

Found here: http://www.zafustore.com/zafu-and-zabuton-set-3pc/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Now having obtained a precious human body,
I do not have the luxury of remaining on a distracted path.

~ Tibetan Book of the Dead
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

I use something like this (in my case, the edges of the seat are rounded in back):

The cushion is easily removable, and the legs fold against the seat so that it can be stored easily; it even fits in a backpack.

Knees and ankles aren't put under undue stress, and if you look closely you can see that the bottoms of the legs are curved. This allows the hips to rotate to their optimum angle for back support; by maintaining tone in the lower torso (back and abdominal muscles supporting the spine) one can sit for quite a while.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
NoMoreSnoozeBar

Post by NoMoreSnoozeBar »

I have been using a firm reading pillow lying on it's back, which has worked okay. I can't find them that firm anymore and the filler in the area I sit is getting irreparably compressed, so I am actually awaiting the arrival of a Cosmic Cushion / Zabuton set. It has a built in angle to help rotate your hips forward which I know helps my lower back. I'll let you know once I get it. It would be nice if there were some stores that sold various cushions so they could be tested.

:buddha1:

Be well!

~Libertus
Metta,

~Chris

:anjali:

Hitting the snooze bar of life may seem easier, but practicing toward awakening is a much better idea.

:thumbsup: