Advanced commentaries/books

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Christopherxx

Advanced commentaries/books

Post by Christopherxx »

Hey Guys,

So today I hit a block in my practice.

And although I have tried to stay away from the commentaries and focus solely on the suttas I think it's time I go forth into the disciples writings.

This may be a good post to make a sticky if everyone can put down books they think are great as well as a brief introduction to why they are so good.

Examples:

Pa Auk Sayadaw and his work "Knowing and Seeing". A text that details samatha (deep access concentration and the jhanas) as well as a variety of vipassana techniques. Considered the prized text of the Pa Auk Forest Monastery in southern Burma.

Sayadaw U Pandita and his two famous works "The Meaning of Satipatthana" & "The Practical Way To Nibbana". These two books deal thorougly with how this student of mahasi intrepets Satipatthana Sutta and it's practice in vipassana meditation.

Satipatthana: The Direct Path to Realization, by Analayo (Bhikkhu Anālayo completed Ph.D. thesis on the Satipaṭṭhāna Sutta)
A student of varying schools whos intrest is noted as lying in the compartive studies of early buddhism.

Buddhaghosa and his magnum opus "Visuddhimagga" which is the 'great treatise' on Theravada Buddhist doctrine.

Please only include large texts of standings such as these. Modern and Classic texts are okay as long as they come from a highly "academic" or "advanced" position.

Thanks guys.

(The books can range all topics related to dhamma). And all orthodox schools/teachers are accepted.

With metta and wishes best to other followers.
befriend

Re: Advanced commentaries/books

Post by befriend »

food for the heart by Ajahn Chah
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
Christopherxx

Post by Christopherxx »

You have to love Ajahn Chah haha.

Simple yet very powerful.

I hope some of the more experienced posters than myself can also add some technical commentaries, works, etc.

:) metta
bodom

Post by bodom »

Examples:

Pa Auk Sayadaw and his work "Knowing and Seeing". A text that details samatha (deep access concentration and the jhanas) as well as a variety of vipassana techniques. Considered the prized text of the Pa Auk Forest Monastery in southern Burma.
You may find this book helpful:

Wisdom Wide and Deep: A Practical Handbook for Mastering Jhana and Vipassana By Shaila Catherine

http://imsb.org/books/wwd.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It is essentially a commentary on Pa Auk Sayadaws commentary.

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Christopherxx

Post by Christopherxx »

Thanks bodom,

It really is a great commentary on the commentary.

Have I listed all the great books on the intrepretation of the dhamma and on it's practice by the leading masters?

I feel like there must be more at the level I listed....

Anyone?
m0rl0ck

Post by m0rl0ck »

Not sure it qualifies as advanced, but some of the best things i have read about practice have come from this page http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/thai ... eleft.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig
Christopherxx

Post by Christopherxx »

thanks morlock I don't think I have seen that paper yet, I'll read through it.
Mal

Post by Mal »

Christopherxx wrote:You have to love Ajahn Chah
I'm reading "Mindfulness, Bliss, and Beyond" by Ajahn Brahm at the moment. I wouldn't classify myself as "advanced" but this book seems advanced to me, and he keeps quoting Ajahn Chah so you might like it.