What benefits and dangers there are in seclution life?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
DAWN

Post by DAWN »

Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
I'am sorry for my english
Hanzze

Re: What benefits and dangers there are in seclution life?

Post by Hanzze »

No danger and the highest benefits if you make your self with Dhamma an island, any dangers and no benefit at all if you just make your self an island.
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_
DAWN

Post by DAWN »

Thanks you :namaste:
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Hi DAWN,

you might want to have a look at the Bhayabherava Sutta.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html

- it seems to address the issue of the dangers of seclusion and what one can do to protect oneself from them.
James the Giant

Post by James the Giant »

As for the dangers of total seclusion, Ajahn Kalyano said sometimes when a bhikkhu lives by himself for a long time, he may develop some strange views, or even wrong views. And so being in a sangha where they have regular contact with other bhikkhus is good, because the other bhukkhus can correct that monk or tell him he's behaving a little strangely.

As for the benefits of seclusion, well! They are countless, and it is referred to by the Buddha as a very useful thing again and again, in many suttas.
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11
DAWN

Post by DAWN »

Sam Vara wrote:Hi DAWN,

you might want to have a look at the Bhayabherava Sutta.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html

- it seems to address the issue of the dangers of seclusion and what one can do to protect oneself from them.
Thanks you a lot, in this sutta there is all that i would to know. :namaste:

James the Giant
As for the dangers of total seclusion, Ajahn Kalyano said sometimes when a bhikkhu lives by himself for a long time, he may develop some strange views, or even wrong views. And so being in a sangha where they have regular contact with other bhikkhus is good, because the other bhukkhus can correct that monk or tell him he's behaving a little strangely.

As for the benefits of seclusion, well! They are countless, and it is referred to by the Buddha as a very useful thing again and again, in many suttas.
Yes it's true.
Fortunatly when there is no bhikkhus there is Suttas of The Bouddha that can lead us in our views!

Thanks you!
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

Fortunatly when there is no bhikkhus there is Suttas of The Bouddha that can lead us in our views!
How? If one has developed some strange views, how would a Sutta of the Buddha help? If one would know that he has developed strange views, of course the suttas could help.
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_
DAWN

Post by DAWN »

Hanzze wrote:
How? If one has developed some strange views, how would a Sutta of the Buddha help? If one would know that he has developed strange views, of course the suttas could help.
If one has lost himself in the forest, how the compass of suttas can help him?
If one has lost himself in the forest, how the Sun of wisdom can help him?
But if the one without the compass, has lost himself in the forest, in which direction he will take a way?
But if the one dont see the Sun, has lost himself in the forest, what will enlight where he steps on this way?

If the one have a compass without the daylight, he will broke his leg on the path of right direction
If the one have a daylight witout compass, he will not be able to take the path of right direction
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

A romantic poem easy gets lost. :tongue:
Just that! *smile*

DAWN

Post by DAWN »

Hanzze wrote:A romantic poem easy gets lost. :tongue:
The Buddha Dhamma is the most romantic genre path. Get free - is the heart of romantic genre. Get free form one self. What is most romatical? :roll:
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...