Rebirth in clasical theravada

Exploring the Dhamma, as understood from the perspective of the ancient Pali commentaries.
Jechbi

Re: Rebirth in clasical theravada

Post by Jechbi »

Chris wrote:"Friend, there are two conditions for the arising of right view: the voice of another and appropriate attention. These are the two conditions for the arising of right view."
Thank you, Chris. It seems that the method for arriving at right view with regard to rebirth is (if I understand correctly) to:
1) hear the truth, and
2) attend appropriately.

And we have specific instructions here for how to attend appropriately.

That's a lot more straightforward than what I stated earlier in this thread. And I can see how it might take some time to arrive at right view regarding rebirth, depending on how one attends.

Metta
Rain soddens what is kept wrapped up,
But never soddens what is open;
Uncover, then, what is concealed,
Lest it be soddened by the rain.
kc2dpt

Post by kc2dpt »

Jechbi wrote:
Chris wrote:"Friend, there are two conditions for the arising of right view: the voice of another and appropriate attention. These are the two conditions for the arising of right view."
1) hear the truth, and
2) attend appropriately.
I can see how it might take some time to arrive at right view regarding rebirth, depending on how one attends.
And depending what one hears. We see how on these internet forums all sorts of teachings are proposed. This leaves the listener confused as to which to attend.
- Peter

Be heedful and you will accomplish your goal.
Jechbi

Post by Jechbi »

Peter wrote:And depending what one hears. We see how on these internet forums all sorts of teachings are proposed. This leaves the listener confused ...
Indeed. I suspect this papañca of ever-conflicting views falls more under the category of (2) appropriate attention (that is to say, inappropriate attention) than under the category of (1) hearing. Because we've already heard, so the seed is planted (1). Now it's a matter of watering it and letting it grow (2). That won't happen if we keep on poking at the dirt.
"He attends appropriately, This is stress... This is the origination of stress... This is the cessation of stress... This is the way leading to the cessation of stress."
Metta
Rain soddens what is kept wrapped up,
But never soddens what is open;
Uncover, then, what is concealed,
Lest it be soddened by the rain.