Inwardly and outwardly?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
DAWN

Re: Inwardly and outwardly?

Post by DAWN »

equilibrium wrote: Can a mind be seperated from a body to operate alone?
Without the ground there is no waves.
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
I'am sorry for my english
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

santa100 wrote:Hanzze wrote:
"What does benefit others mean and why is that importand in regard of yourself?

It seems a little as if inward means "I" and outward "you" (others) in your statements, is that right?"

For the first question, you should already knew the answer.

For the second question, as stated in my post, "I" and "you" aren't my goal, but for now, yes, I'll need to clearly define the scope to help my practice so that in a far distant future I'll no longer have to..
So your work is (or our work should be) an outwardly to get inwardly benefit?

"For the first question, you should already knew the answer." I am not sure. So what does benefit others mean and why is that importand in regard of yourself?
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

equilibrium wrote:Only the mind has the ability to look inwards, the body cannot.
Where does it look into? And the same question in regard of "Can a mind be seperated from a body to operate alone?"
The mind itself cannot express, the body does.
What does express mean for you. Thinking that the body is what is meant outwardly, expressing to the inward?
Hence mind inwardly.....body outwardly.
That hence seems to me to quick in regard or "Can a mind be seperated from a body to operate alone?"
Can a mind be seperated from a body to operate alone?
I am not sure what is meant by mind, but thinking on the formless realm it seems that there are such phenomenas. Would there be still inwardly and outwardly?
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_
santa100

Post by santa100 »

Hanzze wrote:
"So your work is (or our work should be) an outwardly to get inwardly benefit?

"For the first question, you should already knew the answer." I am not sure. So what does benefit others mean and why is that importand in regard of yourself?"

For your first question, you tell me, why would putting an end to the "I" an "inwardly" benefit?

For your second question, again, please re-read my post for I have clearly provided the answer. By the way, answer my question above and you'll have the answer to your second question..
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

Difficult Santa, as I am not able to catch what is meant by inwardly and outwardly as it maybe should be caught, not to think of your personal perception of inwardly and outwardly. I guess we stuck in our flow of conversation (level of equal conncentration) and at such a point its better to begin a new.

Maybe you like to start anew with what is meant with it or what is meant by you.
Just that! *smile*

santa100

Post by santa100 »

Actually I've already provided my take on it. Imho, there's nothing complicated about these words for their meaning is pretty self-explanatory. "Inward" practice is to focus on observing the precepts and meditation practice which a practitioner needs to do to him/herself. An "Outward" practice is the wholesome mind, body, and speech a practitioner does to others. Once a practitioner's perfected these 2 practices, s/he'll completely transcended all ego attachments, as a result, the concept of Inward/Outward will dissolve by themselves. Here's my post again:

"Inward/Outward exist because the "I" exists. When there's no longer "I", "mine", or "myself", Inward/Outward will dissolve themselves. However, in order to completely eradicate this "I", both Inward and Outward trainings will need to be practiced: Inward means observing the precepts, meditation, and insight contemplation; Outward means wholesome mind, body action, and speech for the benefits of others.."

Somehow, you came to the conclusion that my message implies an outward practice just to benefit an inward self, could you point out why you see it that way?
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

How could I interpret your words if you are not able? That why I request.

How ever, a new turn has the need of letting go of the past. Wanna give it a totaly new try with other words or more explaining? Regard me as 5 years old.
Just that! *smile*

santa100

Post by santa100 »

Hanzze wrote:
"How ever, a new turn has the need of letting go of the past. Wanna give it a totaly new try with other words or more explaining? Regard me as 5 years old"

This is illogical. I cannot assume you're a 5 year-old. It's impossible for a 5 year-old to raise such a question in the original post to begin with..
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

Is 15 ok?
Just that! *smile*

santa100

Post by santa100 »

How about, is re-reading my post Ok?
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

Regard me as a 15 year old who had really hard tried to follow your advices and read your post more then twice but still do not understand. You like that 15 years old, see that he does not understand what you mean and find one more time patience and calm, remember on the benefit of paramis, throw away the past in this regard, and try it in a different way. And its not about to refer that much to the OP but how you would explain inwardly and outwardly.
Last edited by Hanzze on Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just that! *smile*

santa100

Post by santa100 »

I'd be happy to. But I'd need to hear your answer first:

Somehow, you came to the conclusion that my message implies an outward practice just to benefit an inward self, could you point out why you see it that way?
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

It was maybe a foolish conclusion of this child and he beggs to forgive his cheeky kind and to forget the past. He even does not remember how he came to this idea.
Just that! *smile*

santa100

Post by santa100 »

Actually, it's also out of my good intention to ask you to refer to my original post. I really don't know what else to say for I don't really see any complexity about those words. Maybe other experts can chip in and give their 2-cent on this?
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

santa100 wrote:Maybe other experts can chip in and give their 2-cent on this?
Sounds like a good solution.
Just that! *smile*