Early Buddhism resources

Textual analysis and comparative discussion on early Buddhist sects and scriptures.
ancientbuddhism

Re: Early Buddhism resources

Post by ancientbuddhism »

I say, beware of all enterprises that require new clothes, and not rather a new wearer of clothes.” – Henry David Thoreau, Walden, 1854

Secure your own mask before assisting others. – NORTHWEST AIRLINES (Pre-Flight Instruction)

A Handful of Leaves
ancientbuddhism

I say, beware of all enterprises that require new clothes, and not rather a new wearer of clothes.” – Henry David Thoreau, Walden, 1854

Secure your own mask before assisting others. – NORTHWEST AIRLINES (Pre-Flight Instruction)

A Handful of Leaves
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

Early Buddhist Transmission and Trade Networks: Mobility and Exchange within and beyond the Northwestern Borderlands of South Asia, by Jason Neelis.

This book examines catalysts for Buddhist formation in ancient South Asia and expansion throughout and beyond the northwestern Indian subcontinent to Central Asia by investigating symbiotic relationships between networks of religious mobility and trade.

In the Preface, he states his preference for material resources over textual ones, and that he makes no attempt at a doctrinal comparison, though the literary sources are "[not] neglected".
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
ancientbuddhism

The Message of the Buddha, by K.N. Jayatilleke

A Handful of Leaves
ancientbuddhism

Principles of Buddhist Psychology, by David J. Kalupahana

A Handful of Leaves
ancientbuddhism

A Handful of Leaves
ancientbuddhism

A Handful of Leaves
ancientbuddhism

A Handful of Leaves
ancientbuddhism

Last edited by ancientbuddhism on Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A Handful of Leaves
ancientbuddhism

The Spread of Buddhism - HdO Vol. 16, by Ann Heirman and Stephan Peter Bumbacher (Editors)

A Handful of Leaves
ancientbuddhism

The Buddhist Caves at Aurangabad: Transformations in Art and Religion, by Piaa Brancaccio – Brill’s Indological Library Vol. 34

A Handful of Leaves
ancientbuddhism

Knowledge as Salvation: A Study in Early Buddhism, by Donald K. Swearer (1967 Dissertation D.Phil.)

A Handful of Leaves
ancientbuddhism

A Handful of Leaves
ancientbuddhism

daverupa wrote:Cross Currents in Early Buddhism, by S. N. Dube.

On the doctrinal controversies reflected in the Kathavatthu.
Source for Full .pdf:

Cross Currents in Early Buddhism, by S.N. Dube

A Handful of Leaves
ancientbuddhism

A Handful of Leaves