drowsiness / sleepy while walking meditation

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
purple planet

drowsiness / sleepy while walking meditation

Post by purple planet »

How to deal with this ?

cause when i note : tiredness...tiredness...tiredness it dosnt go away - why dosnt it go away ?

so i would appricate two types of answers- tricks on how to keep the walking meditation without sleeping or answers to why the tiredness dosnt go away when i notice it or you can answer both questions
Last edited by purple planet on Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hanzze

Re: drowsiness / sleepy while walking meditation

Post by Hanzze »

Go back ward some steps fastly, without turning your head backward.
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

purple planet wrote:How to deal with this ?

cause when i note : tiredness...tiredness...tiredness it dosnt go away - why dosnt it go away ?
Why do you want it to go away. If the tiredness is what is there, pay attention to it. And note the wanting it to go away.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
James the Giant

Post by James the Giant »

purple planet wrote:tricks on how to keep the walking meditation without sleeping
Yes, walking backwards is good. True! Monks have told me to do this!
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11
Alobha

Post by Alobha »

purple planet wrote:How to deal with this ?

so i would appricate two types of answers- tricks on how to keep the walking meditation without sleeping or answers to why the tiredness dosnt go away when i notice it or you can answer both questions
Tricks to keep walking meditation without sleeping:
- Don't fight tiredness. Make peace with it.
- Walk backwards
- walk barefoot on a (stony) path
- Imagine that there is an executioner behind you who will kill you if you lose mindfulness.
- Other death contemplations that get you focused
- Stretching your body, pulling your ear lobes
- caffein
- do walking meditation in the morning and not in the evening or at night

Why the tiredness doesn't go away:
There are many possible reasons and it's impossible to tell without further information.
DAWN

Post by DAWN »

My drowsiness pass away after 30 min
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
I'am sorry for my english
JackV

Post by JackV »

Tiredness is a continual problem for me.
For me there is no way of getting it to "go away" so I just have to work on my attitude to accept "this is tiredness" the mind is like this (see the features of tiredness like lack of clarity and focus, thoughts drifting off) and accept that that a tired mind is like this.

It's still hard because it feels as though this "isn't meditating" but being aware of mindstates, their nature and how they feel - also seeing that they are not you or yours - I suppose is a pretty important part. I still find it annoying, but thats yet another thing / reaction of mind to see.
Here where a thousand
captains swore grand conquest
Tall grasses their monument.
James the Giant

Post by James the Giant »

JackV wrote:... being aware of mindstates, their nature and how they feel - also seeing that they are not you or yours - I suppose is a pretty important part.
Dude! That's great, that's some of the most important parts right there. That's Cittanupassana and Dhammanupassana. That is REAL real meditation.
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11